Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Navre » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:48 pm

I worked with Marvin, the Mealy, a lot today. He has balance issues, but if you support him he's happy to be out and about. He is sweet to most, but not everyone.

His liver bile something or other tests were normal, and the vet had said that he was a normal weight for a mealy.

His age is unknown. He is open banded. He seems elderly. He has not been sexed, and if I had to guess, based on behavior, I'd say Marvin is a hen.
I suppose it's possible that he backs up into my arm like a presenting hen does because he is trying to balance, but his actions seem hen-like to me. I'm not an expert at all, though, but generally if a bird really likes me, it has turned out to be female.
Last edited by Navre on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Squeaky, the little plucked GCC has a potential new family! He will be going, hopefully, to a home with another GCC.

He is doing so much better. He has stopped biting so much, and he still wants a lot of attention.

The adoption procedure has a few more steps, but I've been worried about him and I'll be glad when he gets to a new home, especially one with another GCC.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:51 am

I enjoy reading your posts.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:30 pm

Oh, what great news about poor little Squeaky! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As to Marvin, I would like to know whether the results are from a bile acids test or just a normal biochems panel because most vets I know use the biochems only and those are not any good for liver issues. The reason I am saying this is because his overgrown beak and balance issues are both symptoms of liver problems.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:29 pm

I think Marvin's balance issues are because his feet are bad. I guess he was kept in the cage for 20+ years, on a perch that was way too small. He also doesn't flap his wings as much or as soon as most birds seem to for balance. He probably doesn't know he can fly. Maybe he can't at this point. He isn't clipped, but if he was caged for decades, maybe he just doesn't know how.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Although I don't have as much experience as I would like to have, I don't know of many things other than liver issues that causes a birds beat to grow so much. I have a budgie with liver issues and have to trim his beak on a regular basis.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:21 pm

I guess it could be for any illness. If they don't feel good they don't play and chew.

I had a hamster when I was a teenager who's teeth grew too long to eat. Living on a farm it was out of the question to take a hamster to the vet. I found a small pair of wire cutters in my dad's tools. I cleaned them up and used them every week to shorten his teeth so he could eat.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:23 am

Yes, atrophied muscles and tendons in the toes, feet and legs would cause difficulty in perching stability but this is something that is regained in a relatively short period of time - not so with wings which, if they have been atrophied for years, will never get the normal function back.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Our newest grey at the rescue, Hope, has some red feathers on her legs. I took some video, I'll try to upload a screen shot later.

She says, "Is this a talking bird?" when ever someone approaches her cage.
She also spreads her wings and says, "I want a showwwwwwwwwer."
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 am

Apparently this video was too big for photo bucket. It cut off the some which it too bad, because the end had Marvin, the Mealy, making his funny noises.

http://vid348.photobucket.com/albums/q3 ... 7F9AE1.mp4
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic