Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 am

Oh, I did not mean my comment to be a criticism in any way. It's only that we all like to hear about good rescues [so many of them are not really good at all, you know] and it will be easier for us if you had your own thread with the name of the rescue as title.

And WOW - I am GREATLY impressed by their adoption requirements! Not many people would be willing to go through six months of 'apprenticeship' and, although I think it's exactly what a newbie needs to realize how difficult it is to keep a parrot happy and healthy, I think that the greatest majority of people who adopt already have experience with parrots and possibly already own one or more of them and who would not be willing or even able to do this [it already takes so many hours of each day to care for them properly there wouldn't be enough time left for all that volunteering...] so I can see how most of the birds end up not having their own home. I have to tell you that I don't know if I actually agree with this super strict requirements, though. The thing with parrots is that they don't really do well in rescues or sanctuaries UNLESS they are ex-breeders because pet parrots need and yearn for their own home and humans so living in a rescue is actually quite miserable for them even if it is a huge step up in the care they were used to getting in their previous home. I used to believe that rescues and sanctuaries were the solution to the overpopulation problem [I ran my own rescue for 6 years] but I no longer believe that.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby pmc222 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 am

Pajarita wrote:Oh, I did not mean my comment to be a criticism in any way. It's only that we all like to hear about good rescues [so many of them are not really good at all, you know] and it will be easier for us if you had your own thread with the name of the rescue as title.

And WOW - I am GREATLY impressed by their adoption requirements! Not many people would be willing to go through six months of 'apprenticeship' and, although I think it's exactly what a newbie needs to realize how difficult it is to keep a parrot happy and healthy, I think that the greatest majority of people who adopt already have experience with parrots and possibly already own one or more of them and who would not be willing or even able to do this [it already takes so many hours of each day to care for them properly there wouldn't be enough time left for all that volunteering...] so I can see how most of the birds end up not having their own home. I have to tell you that I don't know if I actually agree with this super strict requirements, though. The thing with parrots is that they don't really do well in rescues or sanctuaries UNLESS they are ex-breeders because pet parrots need and yearn for their own home and humans so living in a rescue is actually quite miserable for them even if it is a huge step up in the care they were used to getting in their previous home. I used to believe that rescues and sanctuaries were the solution to the overpopulation problem [I ran my own rescue for 6 years] but I no longer believe that.

No worries, I didn't take it as criticism.

I understand where you are coming from regarding rescues, and I wouldn't know the right answer either way. The only thing about this place is that the guy who started it, Brian, lives there full time and interacts with all of the parrots on a daily basis. They all seem to love him. Granted, who has enough time to truly devote to 40 parrots?
pmc222
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 am

And that last comment is, in a nutshell, the problem I have with rescues and sanctuaries! You have hit the nail on the head! Nobody has enough time for so many large birds. It's the same complaint I have about people who have too many large birds that are not paired up: basically, the birds don't have anybody or anybirdy of their own and that's extremely stressful to them. Almost all my birds are paired up but I have two redbellies that are not yet bonded in any way and the caique which is all by himself and, although all the other ones are paired up and the unpaired ones do have the company of other birds and I spend as much time as possible with each of them, I can't ever get rid of the feeling that they are not getting enough!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 am

I worry about the "too many birds" thing, too. Do you adopt to someone who already has 6 birds? It's better than being in the rescue with 106 other birds, but it's a hard decision to make.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am

We had someone come in yesterday looking for a macaw. She immediately fell in love with one of our yellow-shouldered amazons. Two out of the three yellow-shouldereds are pretty mellow....and then there's the third, Pickles. LOL.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 am

Our little Linnie, Petri, went home.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 am

Navre wrote:I worry about the "too many birds" thing, too. Do you adopt to someone who already has 6 birds? It's better than being in the rescue with 106 other birds, but it's a hard decision to make.

In my personal opinion, it's not so much how many birds but what species they are, if they are paired up, how are they housed and how much time the person has for them. With the exception of amazons, large species don't tend to pair up with other birds. I am not saying it cannot happen, I am saying that, if it does, it takes a loooooong time so having more than two unpaired ones at a time can be a problem... Cockatoos don't seem to do badly in terms of pairing up BUT the owner needs to have the infrastructure and time to devote to them because you can't keep them in a cage for hours and hours and, when they are out of cage, they will chew everything in sight so they need a room or a designated area where they can destroy stuff to their heart's content. Small aviary species do great in numbers so, somebody having 20 cockatiels/budgies/plets/lovies/linnies/etc flying in a room is giving them the best possible life in captivity [even if the person works full time] and that's a HUGE plus to me. Medium size species do OK in numbers as long as they are paired up or have already 'gotten' into flock dynamics [my redbellies are not bonded to each other but fly/perch/chill with the senegals so they require little one-on-one from me]. GCCs are, in my personal opinion, easy to get to bond to another one and, although they do require one-on-one, don't seem to be terribly jealous of sharing their time with other birds [I know that other people have had a different experience but the four I've had were like that...] On the other hand, I would not adopt out to people who work full time not even one single bird because I KNOW that this means a parrot that is not going to be happy or healthy. Like I said, it depends...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:11 pm

We are down to 59 birds in 40 cages. We actually have our quarantine room back. Our "play and bonding" room is currently occupied by our remaining lorries, but we can use the aviary for that when the weather improves.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:24 am

So you are almost down to 'normal'! Great!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Pajarita wrote:So you are almost down to 'normal'! Great!

Four more birds are pending. We might get back under 50, soon.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic