Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Postby Navre » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:17 am

Our last little pair of parrotlets went home on Sunday.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:04 am

AWWW and they were soooo cute! Great news!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 am

A weeks worth of produce for chop!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:02 am

GREAT!!! But, if I were you, I would not put the kiwis in it because they become super mushy and everything will end up too watery.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:10 am

Pajarita wrote:GREAT!!! But, if I were you, I would not put the kiwis in it because they become super mushy and everything will end up too watery.

Kiwi's generally get put in the nectar.The lories love them. They also like apples. Apples and pears float, Kiwi sinks, so they get stuff at the top and bottom of the bowl.

If I have extra lory fruit, it goes to to IRNs, Plumheads, and Blue Belly (And green cheeks when we have them). I always feed the Lorries first, so it works out.
Last edited by Navre on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am

Our little "Beep" got adopted by our vet. He's totally wild (kind of like my Irwin) so he needs someone who knows enough to leave him alone, and might actually be able to find him a parter at some point.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am

Oh, I don't know if I would have adopted out a bird which doesn't like people to somebody who doesn't have a potential mate for him. Loneliness is torture for all parrots but some species seem to suffer more than others and GCCs are one of them, in my opinion.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Pajarita wrote:Oh, I don't know if I would have adopted out a bird which doesn't like people to somebody who doesn't have a potential mate for him. Loneliness is torture for all parrots but some species seem to suffer more than others and GCCs are one of them, in my opinion.

I guess she has several similar or similar-sized birds that she was going to try to introduce him to.

He is not a GCC. He is a red-capped parrot (also called a pileated parrot, I think?). I don't know if you'll find anyone with another one. That's the problem i'm having with finding a mate for my Irwin. There just aren't any hooded parrots in the country.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 am

Hmmm, no, it's not a redcap or pileated parrot [this is a redcap: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_parrot - they are almost the same size as an amazon and all green with bright red on the head]. I don't know what it is but it looks like some sort of GCC [or another pyrrhura] hybrid and those are super easy to get to bond with another pyrrhura even if it's not the same species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:02 am

Pajarita wrote:Hmmm, no, it's not a redcap or pileated parrot [this is a redcap: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_parrot - they are almost the same size as an amazon and all green with bright red on the head]. I don't know what it is but it looks like some sort of GCC [or another pyrrhura] hybrid and those are super easy to get to bond with another pyrrhura even if it's not the same species.

Wrong side of the world. Its a Purpureicephlus spurius. There is actually a link to it in the article you posted because they are confused so often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-capped_parrot

His color is so pale I thought he must be a female, but females look totally different. Then other sources say it's the juveniles that look different, and females look like subdued males.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic