Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 am

Yes, it will. There might not be a lot of people who, like me, doesn't really care if a bird is pet quality or not but there are some. I would take the breeding pairs not interested in people in a jiffy and gladly if I had the space and was not moving back home! They are so much easier to keep happy and healthy than the pet birds...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 am

The vasas are gone, all the goldens are gone. Archie, the cape parrot came back.... I think we have 6 Weston birds left. The 2 bodies, the 2 slenderbills, and the 2 green-cheeked Amazons.

Got the sad news that one of the birds who had been with us for a while, and had a wonderful home for the last year, or so, has passed away. He was the only bird in the home, but the owners are still having a necropsy done. At least he was in a great home for his final days.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 am

Hey! So nice to hear from you! Even if it is a mixed bag of news... Good on all the adoptions but why was Archie returned? And was the bird that died old? Were the adopters inexperienced? Did they work outside the house? Because it seems to me that it could have been just simple stress that did it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 am

I'm not sure what the deal was with Archie. I haven't been able to make the drive down there often, so I'm kind of out of the loop on relinquishes.

I was down there yesterday. They have a Camelot Macaw. He's almost all gold. I Guess its a cross between a Scarlett and a Catalina. He's beautiful. He's paired up with a giant, male, blue and gold macaw. They seem to do well together.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:25 am

Yes, macaws are like amazons and conures, it's rare that they don't get along with another one - even if it's not the same species. But the bad part about it is that, as they are adopted out singly, they suffer the loss of their companions terribly so it's always a no-win situation for them, poor things!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:00 pm

Pajarita wrote:Yes, macaws are like amazons and conures, it's rare that they don't get along with another one - even if it's not the same species. But the bad part about it is that, as they are adopted out singly, they suffer the loss of their companions terribly so it's always a no-win situation for them, poor things!

We don’t separate bonded pairs. We do observe them for quite a while to see that they are, indeed, bonded, and not just sharing a cage, but if they’re bonded they have to go together. We had a pair or hyacinths and a pair of GW/BG who both are still together in their new homes.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:52 am

That's great! Unfortunately, not all rescues do the same...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:22 am

The rescue is surviving, for now. Volunteers from out of state can’t go into RI, and many in-state volunteers have to stay away for other reasons. There are 3 or 4 people running the whole thing now.

Intakes and adoptions are halted; the intake fees and adoption fees aren’t coming in. We had a short, online fundraiser that raised Some money, so that helped.

My Nicky was adopted in March by a woman who he loves. He never really liked me. He doesn’t like men. I thought I could overcome that, be he is a wild-caught bird, probably caught as an adult, I don’t think I ever could have changed his preferences. He’s better off in his new home. It was hard, but I’m happy for him.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:38 am

Yes, rescues are having a real hard time all around - no money coming in, no volunteers and more and more animals are becoming homeless due to the situation...

I did not know you wanted to rehome Nicky, John, but I am happy he is doing better in his new home. Sometimes -and as much as we might love them- the best show of love is to rehome them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Wed May 13, 2020 10:55 am

Navre wrote:Image

Pepe got adopted today! He is missing a toe from an unfortunate encounter with a chain from a toy, and he is still wearing a collar, but he is happy to be going home. He loves his new mom. She is young like he is, so they should have a long life together!

We have about a half dozen birds leaving in the next few days!

I saw a picture of Pepe, today. He has blue just over his beak now, just like a BFA should. I guess he was a BFA all along, just like we were told. I have no idea why he lost his blue front for a while.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic