Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Here is baby on her way home

Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:05 pm

And Grace

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:08 am

Awwww, I hope they do well in their new homes! I always worry about ekkies because people don't realize they can't feed them the same as any other parrot -not that all parrots have the same diet but you know what I mean!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 am

Pajarita wrote:Awwww, I hope they do well in their new homes! I always worry about ekkies because people don't realize they can't feed them the same as any other parrot -not that all parrots have the same diet but you know what I mean!

He and his son volunteer with us every Sunday. We gave him all the info on Ekkie nutrition we had, and we advised him to keep current as it's really an evolving art.

She came to us looking good, was taken back by the town of Weston to stay at a vets office, why I don't really know, and when we got her back she didn't look good. She is starting to look better again now. She seems super sensitive to changes in diet.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:38 am

Yes, they all are. Their diet is super specialized and, if you don't feed them right [which the greatest majority of people don't!], they show it. And you don't have to wait long for the physical changes to show, either! Their plumage looks ragged and oily and they pluck, toe-tap and wing flick real soon...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 am

Elton, one of our Blue and Gold macaws went home yesterday. I never worked with him much because he has been pending adoption since he got here. The woman who went to pick him up and bring him to the rescue decided to take him home.

https://www.facebook.com/riparrot/posts ... 4282216356
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:53 am

Awww, that's great! But, I wish bird rescues would not insist so much in using the 'forever home' thing... It's nothing but wishful thinking and so completely unrealistic that ends up being actually harmful to parrots because it gives re-homing a bad name which, in turn, makes people hang on to birds that are not getting proper attention so as not to end up with the stigma of being a 'bad' owner...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:40 am

I have a friend who works in lighting controls. He is going to get me timers that know your location via GPS and turn the lights on at sunrise and off at sunset every day. No adjusting timers necessary. I was hoping to have them this week so we start this on 12 hour days and shorten toward winter. Either way, it's going to help eventually.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:34 am

Yes, it will! GREAT NEWS, John!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:14 pm

A year ago today, RIPR received a call for help with a hoarding situation in Weston, CT. We were told approximately 60 birds were involved and they needed to be removed immediately. When we arrived we were not prepared for what we saw and went through. The entire experience changed us all in a most profound way and strengthened our resolve as a rescue to make a difference in the lives of these parrots...and ALL future parrots that come to us.
Now, a year later, most of the birds are doing very well, finding new homes and settling into their new life away from breeder boxes. They are funny, highly intelligent, sentient creatures deserving of our trust, respect and love. We work hard to deserve theirs in return.
We still have some that are under vet care, some who are fearful and reluctant to trust...we can't blame them. We mourn the birds who passed from the far advanced effects of starvation and poor diets. The first six months it was hard to walk into a rescue everyday knowing there might be one less bird than the day before. That was our reality. But they were loved and well cared for while they were with us and we honor their memories by striving to make a difference with the remaining flock.
Most of all, we want to thank YOU...our followers and supporters! There were many days we cried, raged against the unfairness of the situation, and were just downright gloomy, lol. Your uplifting messages, positive comments, and support really made the difference to us all. Thank you also for your ongoing donations and care packages that we receive. It allows us to continue to provide the best medical, nutritional, and enrichment care for our flock. If they could talk I'm sure they'd squawk you all their love and thanks as well.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic