Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:22 pm

And how wonderful for them to be adopted together by a couple who loves birds!!! :thumbsup: :danicing:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:56 pm

They are a great couple. Kristie is one of those kids who who got a Parrot as a child, but it turned out okay. She got a sun conure at age 11, and she took great care of it, it being her best friend into adulthood. Jasmine died of ovarian cancer in September. She didn't think she was ready for another bird, but she saw an Instagram post of me holding Mango (a rare day when Mango let me handle him), and she decided to come in to volunteer. She fell in love with Mango, and her husband loved Pee Wee.

She realized that we had birds that needed her, and there was really no point in waiting. We made the decision to let them adopt them both. The two birds were in cages next to each other at the rescue. Going together will help their transition.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:26 am

Yes, having a known friend will, definitely, help with the transition A LOT! I've never understood why rescues would, sometimes, make it a point of not adopting two animals to the same home at the same time - it's so much better for them this way.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:41 am

Pajarita wrote:Yes, having a known friend will, definitely, help with the transition A LOT! I've never understood why rescues would, sometimes, make it a point of not adopting two animals to the same home at the same time - it's so much better for them this way.

Well, it doesn't come up a lot, but often it's someone who already has four or five birds who wants to take two or three more. We get concerned that they are taking on too much.

I think adding to a flock is trickier than starting one.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:14 pm

And I agree 100%!!! And that's why I ALWAYS tell people to wait, at the very least, a couple of years before you add a new bird -and that ONLY if the bird was adopted as an adult because, if we are talking about a baby, you need to wait until it reaches the age of sexual activity before you add another one.

But, when it comes to people who already have birds and want to adopt two together, I would say that it needs to be on a case-by-case basis because if the two birds that are been adopted have already bonded with each other (not necessarily a mate bond, mind you) and the person has birds already in pairs, we are talking about a situation that ends up been much easier both for the birds and the human(s) than a single person without experience adopting a single bird! Especially if the person (or couple) works full time!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:47 pm

We never had any real pairs except for tiels, but we have a bunch of them now. We have a bonded pair of Macaws (GW and BG), a pair with a black Capped Conure and a moustache parakeet, a budgie bonded with a sun conure. And that's not counting all the pairs that were taken in from the breeder/ neglect case.

Some of the supposed "breeding pairs" have already had to be separated because they were hurting each other. Some were obviously pets before. They talk, have names, and love to be handled. It looks like he might have been taking in unwanted pets and trying to pair them up.
It's nice when the birds tell you what their names are. It's sad, though. You wonder where these birds came from. We had a pair of Moluccans who seemed wild. They were trying to kill each other. When separated, they're the sweetest birds there are.
There are a pair of Alexandian Parrots. The male informs anyone who says hello to him that his name is Jacob and he is a good boy.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:08 am

Oh, Lord, you are breaking my heart, John! Poor, poor things! I will never understand why anybody would sell a pet bird to a breeder! It's akin to torture for the poor things!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:44 pm

It's sad, but they're doing better now. We lost a bunch, but the ones who have made it this far will probably make it through this chapter In their lives. I hope I can post more about them soon. I've been busy thinking up names for them.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:47 am

Yes, they will make it, birds are much more resilient than people give them credit for. But it's still very sad that they had to go through so much suffering, both emotional AND physical!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:05 pm

https://youtu.be/7eqY6qacr3Q

Max went home yesterday! She is about 35 years old. She is a very sweet Greenwing Macaw. She came in very unsociacialzed, but it didn't take much time at all for her to become a very sweet and agreeable bird.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic