Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:43 am

The only 'bad' name, in my personal opinion, is Athena - way too hard to make the 'th' sound for a parrot. They should have gone with the Roman Minerva instead of the Greek name - not that I would choose a three-syllable name for a parrot, mind you! I always give them two syllable names but, in reality, I do this because of the way dogs are supposed to be named so maybe parrots are OK with a three-syllable name...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 am

My GCC thinks her name is Silly Bird. Nicholas usually says Nicky Bird. I guess they both kind of have three syllable names.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 am

Yes, the fact that parrots talk human speech and use entire phrases would indicate that they don't mind longer names at all. Sweetpea actually makes what I would think he believes it's a joke about his name because he asks: "What's your name?" to which he KNOWS the answer is "SWEETPEA!" but, sometimes, he would say things like "Pretty Bird" or "Sweet Pretty Bird" and then goes Hee Hee Hee which is always the end to all his jokes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 am

:lol:

When Myrtle gets in trouble she tells me she is a "pretty pretty bird".
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:46 am

liz wrote::lol:

They know when they're in trouble!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:42 pm

It's amazing how smart they are, aren't they? I have two that love to scold the others when they do something bad so they not only know when they are in trouble but also when the others are - something that indicates complete awareness not only of the other birds but of what is proper behavior in them! Amazingly smart!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Pajarita wrote:

It's amazing how smart they are, aren't they? I have two that love to scold the others when they do something bad so they not only know when they are in trouble but also when the others are - something that indicates complete awareness not only of the other birds but of what is proper behavior in them! Amazingly smart!

Nicky will tell Ocean that she is a bad girl. He has. Ever heard those two words together from us, but he knows what they mean, and he knows she is a girl
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 am

They learn like children. The only word I have taught Myrtle is help. Rainbow came with that word and used it the first week he was with me. He was still living on the dining room table when a cat that was not mine came in the dog door. Aunt Betty was the only one home. She heard a little kid yelling for help with a hurry hurry behind it. She ran to help the kid but found Rainbow. While she was chasing the cat to make it go back out the doggie door she was yelling "Catch him - put him out - quick quick".

They not only learn the words but also learn when those words are needed and how to use them.

A Cockatiel came with Rainbow and many other critters. The Cockatiel could say "pretty bird" and "what are you doing". I knew nothing about birds and would pick them up like I would a toy with my hand over their backs. This little bird said "what are you doing with the pretty bird".
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 am

Navre wrote:
Pajarita wrote:

Nicky will tell Ocean that she is a bad girl. He has. Ever heard those two words together from us, but he knows what they mean, and he knows she is a girl

Hmmm, I doubt that Nicky knows that Ocean is a girl. For one thing, they don't belong to the same species and their species are from two different continents so there is now way he could instinctually know from looking at her that she is a girl [another GCC would though]. Most likely, he learned that from another person [maybe a previous owner who had two birds and one of them was a female?] and is using it now as a 'generic' scolding. I have birds that are female which need to be told they are 'good boys' because that's the phrase they learned as praise.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 pm

He hears me say "good girl" to her all the time.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic