Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Navre » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 am

Rhode Island
Connecticut
Massachusetts
New England
Adoption
Rescue
Macaw

Sorry. Trying to "tag" the thread, hoping local people will find this thread.

Www.riparrots.org
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Go right ahead, John. Maybe you can also start another thread with the name of the rescue as the subject.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 am

We all need to give the good web sights. I have told about www.rescueme.org
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Visitors sometimes say things that make me worry about their suitability to adopt.

Being too concerned about a bird's naked chest or barbered feathers: People will seem to interact well with a bird, love its personality and its antics, but they keep asking about the bare chest, and if the feathers will grow back.
What I say:I explain that many of our birds have had a hard life. Even when a bird is well loved, captivity is far from ideal and plucking is going to happen. I try to assure them that they won't even notice the bare chest after a while.
What I want to say: You should probably just buy an nice picture of a bird, or buy a stuffed bird. Or just tell people you have a bird. If it's a status symbol or a trophy you want, lying will work. They're living effing creatures, you idiot. I have scars on my face and I bite my fingernails. Get over it. By the way, your kids are kind of ugly, you should consider re-homing them.

Being too Concerned about if a bird talks, if it will learn to talk, or how much it will be able to say
What I say: I explain that some birds talk and some don't. Some species are more likely to talk, but there are no guarantees. I explain that some birds rarely talk at the rescue but talk up a storm once taken home (Nadia, Sebastian). I explain that they can all communicate whether they can talk or not, and it just takes paying attention.
What I want to say: Al Gore invented the Internet primarily for cat videos, but there are a ton of YouTube videos of talking birds. Pop one of those on, occasionally. Remove the watermarks and tell people it's your bird. You will get a lot of likes and new followers on Instagram. Birds also communicate by biting. Have you seen Maya? Let's open her cage.

Do you think this bird will be noisy?
What I say:All birds can be noisy. Especially at dawn and dusk. Paying attention to the bird will help, but sometimes they just scream because they're a bird and they're happy. The bigger the bird, the bigger the scream, in general.
What I want to say: I am wearing earplugs. Why do you suppose that is? You had to ask me that question 3 times because I couldn't hear you over the noise. We go outside to talk. What do YOU think?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 am

Yes. Sometimes they really scare me. They want to know what a species does and how to control it. In fact it is not the species but the parrots personality.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am

:lol: :lol: I HEAR and FEEL you, John! Prospective adopters with this kind of questions take a real toll on my nerves, too! It's real hard rehoming animals and that's why I only do it when it's absolutely necessary and take my own sweet time screening people.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Navre wrote:Visitors sometimes say things that make me worry about their suitability to adopt.

Being too concerned about a bird's naked chest or barbered feathers: People will seem to interact well with a bird, love its personality and its antics, but they keep asking about the bare chest, and if the feathers will grow back.
What I say:I explain that many of our birds have had a hard life. Even when a bird is well loved, captivity is far from ideal and plucking is going to happen. I try to assure them that they won't even notice the bare chest after a while.
What I want to say: You should probably just buy an nice picture of a bird, or buy a stuffed bird. Or just tell people you have a bird. If it's a status symbol or a trophy you want, lying will work. They're living effing creatures, you idiot. I have scars on my face and I bite my fingernails. Get over it. By the way, your kids are kind of ugly, you should consider re-homing them.

Being too Concerned about if a bird talks, if it will learn to talk, or how much it will be able to say
What I say: I explain that some birds talk and some don't. Some species are more likely to talk, but there are no guarantees. I explain that some birds ra rely talk at the rescue but talk up a storm once taken home (Nadia, Sebastian). I explain that they can all communicate whether they can talk or not, and it just takes paying attention.
What I want to say: Al Gore invented the Internet primarily for cat videos, but there are a ton of YouTube videos of talking birds. Pop one of those on, occasionally. Remove the watermarks and tell people it's your bird. You will get a lot of likes and new followers on Instagram. Birds also communicate by biting. Have you seen Maya? Let's open her cage.

Do you think this bird will be noisy?
What I say:All birds can be noisy. Especially at dawn and dusk. Paying attention to the bird will help, but sometimes they just scream because they're a bird and they're happy. The bigger the bird, the bigger the scream, in general.
What I want to say: I am wearing earplugs. Why do you suppose that is? You had to ask me that question 3 times because I couldn't hear you over the noise. We go outside to talk. What do YOU think?

Navre this really ought to be a billboard outside the entrance ! It's perfect :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Rmoses » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Really? Ya'll set on your thrones of knowledge and experience of parrots belittling the people that want to learn more. If those people had your same knowledge, one of two things would happen, they would already have parrots or they would have decided that didn't want to have parrots. These people are wanting to learn. Maybe they don't know the proper questions to ask, maybe they have seen pictures or videos of parrots and this is the only basis of information they have to ask questions about. Whether buying a parrot, a car or a house, people have expectations and want to know if your product will meet those expectations. With limited knowledge there are limited expectations. It is your job as the person that is adopting out this bird to give the person all the knowledge they need to be responsible parrot owners.
Don't belittle people because the don't know what you know.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Navre » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:52 pm

You're missing the point. I give them polite, informative answers, but sometimes I feel like I'd like to say the other thing.

And it is often annoying when people come in so concerned about superficial things like a bare chest. It stands in the way of them finding the best bird for them. In reality, most people who are very concerned about these things never adopt.

I do agree that education is one of our most important functions. It's important to remember that all the real parrot experts have hollow bones, and feathers.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Rmoses » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Navre wrote:You're missing the point. I give them polite, informative answers, but sometimes I feel like I'd like to say the other thing.

And it is often annoying when people come in so concerned about superficial things like a bare chest. It stands in the way of them finding the best bird for them. In reality, most people who are very concerned about these things never adopt.

I do agree that education is one of our most important functions. It's important to remember that all the real parrot experts have hollow bones, and feathers.

Is not giving polite, informative answers, but feeling like saying the other thing being being disingenuous? Maybe what you would like to say is exactly what they need to hear. If I see a bird with a bare chest and you just tell me it is superficial and nothing to worry about, I see a bird that has had a plucking problem and don't know what caused it and if it will return when I get it home. It takes a certain type of person to care for a disabled animal or person and not everyone is that type. Don't put them down because they are not that type. If you tell me what you want me to know so that I will buy the bird, then then I'm not getting the whole story.
I am not trying to put you down, you are obviously an intelligent and caring person,(people), but don't berate me if what I want seems superficial to you. Maybe if you say what you really want to say, then I will see that it is superficial and with the added information I can make a better choice.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic