Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby liz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:56 am

These little "bird brains" know more than we will ever believe they know.

How does a bird know where your ears are and what they are for. When mine whisper they always get up against my ear.
I am sure they know what hands are and what they can do even though they do not have them. Mine know what "owe" means and will say it if I do not when I get hurt.
The only thing I have seen that does not make sense is when I let them choose their own pistachio and they don't pick the big one.
Mine know they are part of the family and have learned the names of the others.
When Myrtle grew back her flight feathers she took charge of a situation that Rainbow was in. Rachel's baby boxer was following Rainbow too close when she swooped and scared him away.
Myrtle came from a dark and scary place. She was terrified of the CAG in the cage touching hers. She said "hello" to Rainbow the first time she saw her. They said hello so many times that Rainbow asked her "you got'a problem". How did she know that Rainbow was a good bird?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:06 am

Maya, the young (2010 Hatch, I think) DYH, who hates women, and has been known to randomly attack like a pit bull (including me), he been so much better lately. She has been letting some women scratch her head, and tolerates hands in her cage to clean perches, and such.

Maybe it's just age that is mellowing her? She's so beautiful. I hope this helps her find a home. She's been here too long.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 am

No, it's not age because at 7 years of age, an amazon is still VERY young! I would say it's like a human in its very early twenties. It's most likely that she is beginning to realize that there is no threat for her in the rescue and I bet that if she was kept in a house seeing the same human every day, with strict routines and a solar schedule and a good fresh food diet, she would be a lovely companion! Poor things, we mess them up in no time at all when we don't know what we are doing and it then takes years for them to go back to what they should have been all along...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Pajarita wrote:No, it's not age because at 7 years of age, an amazon is still VERY young! I would say it's like a human in its very early twenties. It's most likely that she is beginning to realize that there is no threat for her in the rescue and I bet that if she was kept in a house seeing the same human every day, with strict routines and a solar schedule and a good fresh food diet, she would be a lovely companion! Poor things, we mess them up in no time at all when we don't know what we are doing and it then takes years for them to go back to what they should have been all along...

Someone is looking at her. They had a Yellow crown Amazon for 38 years. I'm crossing my fingers for her.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 am

PLEASE make sure that the prospective adopter is aware that, most likely, her behavior is due to being overly hormonal, something you cannot control because of the rescue schedule and such BUT which they can!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:38 am

Our female eclectus Grace went home yesterday. We did a bunch of research on the latest in eclectus nutrition to get her off to a good start In her new home. She's going to a good family who she seems to really like.

https://www.facebook.com/riparrot/posts ... 9149137460
Last edited by Navre on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:49 am

We lost a little parrotlet this week. He was unnamed, but I called him Fiesty. He was attack my hands whenever I went in his cage, and strut around triumphantly once he had driven me away. It was sad to see his mate yesterday. She looks lost.

Last Friday I had noted that he was at the bottom of the cage when I opened. I kept an eye on him all day, but he seemed okay. Buy the beginnning of the week I guess he was worse. I think he just stopped eating. He got taken to the vet (a tough decision because moving him and separating him from his mate is all bad stress) but he died the next day. She didn't think there was too much hope for him when she got him. We are doing a necropsy. It HAS to be done because he was in a room with 20 other birds, but I'd bet it will show what they have all shown. Liver and kidney problems that lead to systems shutting down and anorexia.

I'll miss the little guy. I feel bad, but I don't think I have any pictures of him. I hope his mate make out okay. They were a true bonded pair.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:55 pm

Our Meullers or Blue Backed parrot went home today. She had come in with a mate, he died shortly after we took them in. She's super sweet. I'll miss her.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:22 am

Ohhhh, poor little Feisty! And, yes, I am sure it's as you say: liver and kidneys. People free-freed them too much protein, not realizing that these little ones bodies can't take it. Now, I know this is not something a rescue normally does but it would be great if a male was bought off CL for the female you have left. These birds should always be adopted out in pairs that are already bonded. Life by themselves is just misery for them... I am convinced that Paquita went back to plucking with Wolf because he separated them because she never touched a single feather after she came here and they get along without a single problem -next year I am getting plet and budgie eggs and I'll be giving them nests.

Good news on the Mueller's!!! They look a lot like psittaculas, don't they?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Both Grace the Eclectus and Baby the Meullers were birds we got from Weston. As was the p'let who died. I think Grace might have been a bit better off, as she was kept in the house and not in the barn with everyone else.

I don't expect the necropsy on the p'let to show us much. I'll see about finding her a mate. I think it was the male who died. A bit more color in the face on him. Necropsy will tell for sure, anyhow.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic