Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Yes, amazons do very well in my birdroom - at least the ones I have do. They are also not people friendly but they have become quite mellow - they don't bother the other birds, they go into their cage when I tell them to [even my husband can do it now and that is a BIG :shock: :lol: because he was terrified of them and is not particularly good with parrots although he is getting better all the time] and I only had one single attack by the male last year during breeding season [and it was all my fault, actually]. Right now, they are busy considering sites for their future nest - they have been going all around the room chewing here and there [kind of like when people are buying a mattress and lay on all of them to judge their comfort :D ] so all four corners of the room 'baseboard guards' are missing the actual corners and Zeus even managed to open the door to the closet and chew the inside of it. I will start giving them new boxes in a week or two...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:42 am

After this storm, my main goal is going to be setting up the generator to run the central heat when I'm not there.

I can do it if I'm there, but it involves wiring and I can't just leave it set up.

After 2 feet of snow, HIGH winds, HUGE tides, and temperatures below zero, I feel lucky that we have made it this far.

Electric space heaters would not be able to keep up with this insane level of cold. I need to make the generator work the central heating, and I need to set it up so someone who is not an electrician can get it operational.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:43 am

That's assuming I can leave the house, which I can't do at these temperatures. I hate January for a million reasons.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Yes, I already told my husband that he needs to get a generator because we had to spend an entire day without electricity whatsoever [we had the 'service' wiring coming into the house from the street replaced with new ones and it took all darn day what with the digging the front yard and everything!]. The day it was done was a warm one but one never knows what might happen and I can't risk being without electricity for even a few hours -if it happened in the middle of the night in the winter, my birds would freeze!

I don't hate January and I actually love the cold weather but the temperatures we are having now are terrible! We left the basement door open so the feral cats could come in [and now they are all living there as if they had been born in it and I don't know how we are going to get them to leave!] out of the cold because we were worried that the young ones would not make it and, one morning, the water I had left for them was frozen! Inside the basement! Can you imagine?! So now they have an electric heater in the room that has the door to the outside - the other room is where the boiler is and it's much warmer in there.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:30 am

Wow, I never posted that Maya was adopted. She was adopted on Thanksgiving. She has been with us for a while. Came to us at 5 years old as a DNA sexes female. She hated and attacked women. I think she is 8 now.

She was adopted by a great couple who are dedicated to doing whatever it takes to make her life better. They are from Columbia and they had birds growing up.

Maya is stepping up, flying to people when she wants attention, flying away when she doesn’t, living a generally cage-free life, stepping up, talking, being wonderful. That’s not too much of a surprise. I did the home visit and knew that this was a great fit. What IS a big surprise is that Maya is now a DNA sexed MALE! We never tested the bird, he came to us a DNA sexed female. I guess you have to trust the test, but I’m still kind of suspicious. Either way, he’s doing great.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:46 am

That is great news! Nothing more heartwarming than hearing about a bird that was considered 'difficult to adopt' not only adopted but doing great at its new home!

As to the gender... did you guys get the actual report? I mean, the original. Because if it was something the previous owner said, most likely, it was a lie. People think they know their birds -all the way to their gender- but, in reality, they don't. Not that I do that much better, mind you! But, at least, I admit to guessing and not really knowing for a fact...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm

The file just said Female (DNA). It was probably either a lie or they misunderstood what that meant. Her, or his, intake was before I started. This is the DYH who attacked me pretty brutally one day back in 2015. Behavior-wise I’d have guessed female, too, but “knowing” the bird was a female probably influenced that.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:33 pm

An old picture of Maya
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Maya spent a lot of time at the bottom of the cage, acting like a hen.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:59 am

Navre wrote:Image

An old picture of Maya

The attitude that shines in this picture looks a lot like Rainbow.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic