Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 am

He has attitude, for sure. I’m so glad he’s doing well in his new home.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:48 am

:lol: I've never known an amazon that did not have some kind of an attitude! As to the staying at the bottom of the cage, the male zons I've had did the same thing when they were hormonal. Zeus has been walking around the floor, looking for nesting spots for a week or so and chewing everything he can find. And, yesterday, he lunged at my feet when I was putting their water bowl in their cage. It's funny with amazons... they would not go to ground for nothing if they can help it during the resting season but, as soon as they start producing sexual hormones, they do - my grays did the same thing but they were both females so I don't know if males do it, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 am

My TAG loves to walk on the floor and hide in boxes, under chairs, whatever he can find. He never spends much time at the bottom of the cage, though.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 am

Another great recent success story is Casey 'Too. Casey is a Goffins cockatoo hatched in 1990. He was about the most scared and skittish bird I've ever seen. We had to keep him in quarantine, and then in the office, because he would get so anxious on the moan floor. He would bite, always out of fear, he would escape out of his cage during cleaning and then be hard to get back (much blood lost capturing him.)

He was with us for about 2 years. Slowly he started to trust people. The first one was our volunteer who had adopted our OTHER Casey Goffins. (That's why this is casey too. Like casey Cockatoo, but also Casey, lol. We also had a CAG Casey at the time. We called him Casey Grey.) Christine worked with him slowly. Then he started to trust more people. He would talk to me, let me scratch his head, etc. It took us a year to get him eating chop. It took a long time for him to eat unless he was alone.

We haave a young volunteer who gained his trust and could take him out. We then got a mother/son volunteer pair. Casey loved them both. The boy is great with him and the mom is too. They took him home three weeks ago and he is doing great. It's so awesome to see this bird happy. He is talking, and he seems to love to be there.

It's these birds that I'd have bet would NEVER be adopted that I love to see so happy.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:11 am

I haven’t been to the rescue in a while. Missed one week due to snow, missed last week because I was in the hospital. I hope to get there this week. I guess we have a Hahn’s Macaw now. He looks like he’s about the size of a BLue Crown Conure.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:08 am

We have 3 macaws who have been adopted who layed eggs this week. Is it the right time of year for that? I know the birds are noticing the lengthening days, but it seems early.
Last edited by Navre on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 am

Yes, it is early but macaws, being tropical birds breed at 12 hours of light so, if they are not following a super strict solar schedule [and that means full exposure to dawn and dusk with NO lights on until the sun is already going up in the sky] and they are getting protein too much protein food, they would produce sexual hormones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:27 am

Navre wrote:I haven’t been to the rescue in a while. Missed one week due to snow, missed last week because I was in the hospital. I hope to get there this week. I guess we have a Hahn’s Macaw now. He looks like he’s about the size of a BLue Crown Conure.

Are you ok now?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:50 am

liz wrote:
Navre wrote:I haven’t been to the rescue in a while. Missed one week due to snow, missed last week because I was in the hospital. I hope to get there this week. I guess we have a Hahn’s Macaw now. He looks like he’s about the size of a BLue Crown Conure.

Are you ok now?

For the most part, yes. I was in for chest pain. They found minor blockages but nothing too major.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:39 pm

OJ and Fiona got adopted yesterday. Fiona absolutely loved me. These were Weston Birds. I guess they had been on display in the Fauna store, so they were pretty used to people. OJ would give people a nip now and then.

Fiona had been named Nicole. That idiot named them OJ and Nicole because OJ had killed his previous mate. That shows that he was not only terrible to these birds, he was a classless, tactless ass, who somehow thought double murders were funny. Why would you saddle birds with names like that?

We never change the names of birds, but in this case we felt that we had to. We had a few visitors get offended at the names. After a long time trying to figure it out, we decided that OJ knew his name, and Nicole didn't seem to. We changed Nicole to Fiona, after Fiona Apple, because she looks kind of like and apple. The name OJ isn't bad, it was just the combination of names that was bad. We figured it better to change only one name.

I haven't been to the rescue in a month, so I didn't get to say good bye to these two.

Fiona is on the right, standing tall. OJ is on the left crouching down.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic