Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby liz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:48 am

Many people have seen Rainbow and say they want a bird. I tell them they do not and tell his faults that they cannot see.
People want birds for many reasons and most are not good ones. Then when the bird does not respond the way they want they will either rehome (if the bird is lucky) or neglect it. Some have lived in closets for years. Others have been put in the basement and forgotten until they starve to death. They have no idea that their bird has it's own personality and will not be like any other.

Myrtle was kept in a small cage in a dark dining room. She was given seed and water and was in a dirty cage. She was skinny, dirty and afraid. She was so malnourished that she did not have the colors of a BF. She was so scared that she shivered when someone came close. If I had not seen her on CL and gotten her the next day she would have died or been sold to a breeder. The woman wanted her out of the house. Though I really disliked this woman for treating a being this way she at least reached out to see if someone else would take her.

When we discourage people we hope they will research to see if we are telling the truth. That is the best we can hope for. We tell people with kids that they will have a two year old kid that bites for the rest of it's life.

We are not mean to humans. We are concerned for the possibility that a bird may be bought that will suffer some of the above.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:56 am

Rmoses wrote:
Navre wrote:You're missing the point. I give them polite, informative answers, but sometimes I feel like I'd like to say the other thing.

And it is often annoying when people come in so concerned about superficial things like a bare chest. It stands in the way of them finding the best bird for them. In reality, most people who are very concerned about these things never adopt.

I do agree that education is one of our most important functions. It's important to remember that all the real parrot experts have hollow bones, and feathers.

Is not giving polite, informative answers, but feeling like saying the other thing being being disingenuous? Maybe what you would like to say is exactly what they need to hear. If I see a bird with a bare chest and you just tell me it is superficial and nothing to worry about, I see a bird that has had a plucking problem and don't know what caused it and if it will return when I get it home. It takes a certain type of person to care for a disabled animal or person and not everyone is that type. Don't put them down because they are not that type. If you tell me what you want me to know so that I will buy the bird, then then I'm not getting the whole story.
I am not trying to put you down, you are obviously an intelligent and caring person,(people), but don't berate me if what I want seems superficial to you. Maybe if you say what you really want to say, then I will see that it is superficial and with the added information I can make a better choice.
Rick

Well, the thing is Rick that nobody knows why some birds pluck and others don't and nobody knows if the bird will keep on doing it or get better either. John tells them that captivity is real hard on parrots, even under the best of circumstances, and, when the care they get is inadequate, some of them pluck - and that is, pretty much, the only thing anybody can say about plucking. Plucking is not a disability and plucking birds don't really need anything different than birds with perfect plumage so it's just a matter of looks and, beauty being truly in the eyes of the beholder, it is a fact that, after a while, you don't even see the bare spots or bad plumage any longer. You just see a bird you love - and, in your eyes, this beloved bird is beautiful! I met this lady who had gotten a dog (looked like some sort of beagle mix) from Indonesia whose face had been mutilated (she was going to become food but escaped and ended up in a rescue). The dog was literally missing parts of her face and was going to require surgery to correct some of it (her nose had to be fixed, half of it was missing and they wanted to make sure the scar tissue was not going to end up blocking the passages) and there were people there who kept on throwing sideway glances her way the way people do when there is a person or an animal with some sort of deformity but do you know what her owner kept on saying to me? "Isn't she just BEAUTIFUL? Isn't she?!" And I agreed wholeheartedly, she was a beautiful dog with the sweetest, most melting eyes you could ever imagine!

Volunteers at rescues have to deal with a large range of people. They all call themselves animal lovers but not all are; some are just looking for the bargain and not to benefit the animal. And, of course, these people don't want the ones with the 'defects', they want the prime specimen at a discount because, in reality, they are animal enjoyers and what they love is not the animal itself but what the animal can do for them - and these are the ones that have expectations that no parrot can fulfill: beauty, speech, no screams, no plucking, no bites, low maintenance, etc. Education is key but for education to 'do its work' you need to start with love for the animal.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Also, that post was mainly supposed to be humorous. I would never actually suggest that someone rehome his kids. :)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 am

I think I'm allergic to Lories. I can't breathe around them. I start coughing uncontrollably.

I thought it was the room they were in, but we moved them all into another room to thoroughly clean their floor, and I couldn't breathe in that other room.

They do have a different smell. They're the sweetest birds, and they can't really bite. They don't have much strength in their beaks. If they could be potty trained to only squirt poop in one spot, they'd be perfect!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:08 pm

My first and only experience with a lorie was less than enjoyable. The bird was mean and he would deliberately wait till you were near and let -er-rip :lol: Thank god just bird sitting. And as to rehoming there kids , hell I've tried to rent mine out , rehome them , pay someone to take them , nothing worked still have them and the older they get the more they cost and now there breeding. :roll: I feel your frustration when people want the pretty bird instead of the ugly duckling and I just want you to know there are a whole bunch of us nurturing mamas out there that migrate toward special needs fids. :thumbsup: sometimes , hell most of the time it takes more patients dealing with the people , not the birds. This forum has taught me to be a little more patient and understanding with people , when before I'm kinda a loose cannon and pretty blunt. I don't believe in putting lipstick on a pig ,cause it's still a pig. { waste of time } Now I feel if there asking questions then they obviously are trying to learn. The ones that frustrate me are the ones that just can't get it and are looking for that pretty bird in a cage for a conversation piece or for there collection. Keep up the great work at the rescue . BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Navre wrote:I think I'm allergic to Lories. I can't breathe around them. I start coughing uncontrollably.

I thought it was the room they were in, but we moved them all into another room to thoroughly clean their floor, and I couldn't breathe in that other room.

They do have a different smell. They're the sweetest birds, and they can't really bite. They don't have much strength in their beaks. If they could be potty trained to only squirt poop in one spot, they'd be perfect!

Have you tried a mask? They could have a different kind of dander on them because, after all, dander is protein and different diets produce different danders.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:27 am

Rachel, my daughter, claims to be an animal lover and takes in many critters. The problem is that she takes care of herself instead of being a mom who puts her kids first. She even eats in front of her critters before she feeds them. She says she rescued all her animals but she doesn't even care for them the right way. They spend more time with me than with her and I feed them and play with them.

I am just glad that she never had children. I would most likely be caring for her baby more than she does.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Bird woman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 pm

There are way to many people out there that are like that , my husband is the same way. I cannot feed myself without making sure all the fids and kids are fed first or all eating together. The birds may not get exactly what I'm eating but I'll make sure they think it is. :lol: people that truly love animals always put there animals first and care for those that need it and don't have to tell anybody about it , cause actions speak much louder than words. You have a kind soul and gentle heart Liz it shines through your many posts. Your daughter will eventually get it after all she is part of you. :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:26 am

Thank you.

My daughter is 45. If she does not get it now she will never get it. That is why all my critters go to my son.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:29 pm

I think that, although children learn empathy from their parents when they are very young, true animal lovers are born that way. At least, that's what my mother used to say about me when she would tell the story of me rescuing a kitten when I was 8 years old or my spending my summer vacations helping my cousin's grandfather with his canaries. Nobody in my family is like that. My parents and brothers (and everybody else in the extended family except for one of my mother's cousins who is like me) are excellent pet owners... but they are not like me -they can disassociate their love for their own animal from love for all animals, I can't. But, sometimes, people can learn later in life and change - at least, that's what my husband claimed yesterday when he saw that I had still another baby mouse in my mouse habitat (Tiza, one of my cats, had caught it). He had gone to the basement and came back saying the little one was, very cutely, peeping at him with his little eyes... - and then proceeded to blame me for 'messing him up' so badly that he now even likes mice when he used to find them repugnant before. :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic