Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:05 pm

Pajarita wrote:That's exactly the way GCCs that have been neglected act - problem is, it doesn't really take that much for a GCC to feel neglected because they need A LOT of time and people can't maintain the necessary level of interaction (if you work outside the house, you are screwed up and most people do so...)

One of the volunteers making some progress with Squeaky. You can see how he has been tearing up his feathers.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:29 pm

Poor little guy needs lots of lovin'.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:17 am

Poor, poor little thing! It's so hard for them in the rescues... because, even when there are enough volunteers to 'go around' and they all try their best, they eventually have to leave and that breaks their heart all over again. I tell you, it's a no win situation for the greatest majority of parrots.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Squeaky let me scratch his head today, interspersed by biting me. I do think he just needs attention.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:53 pm

This is Tango. He steps up for me, but that's about it. He's a good bird.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Pajarita wrote:... But what's going on with Marvin's beak?

I checked into this today. When Marvin came in his feet were messed up and his beak was grossly overgrown.

He is the sweetest, gentlest bird. He barely moves at all, but sits there and sings, chirps, and buzzes like a giant mechanical canary.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:41 pm

So have they had him vetted yet? With an overgrown beak and foot problems I would be concerned that he might have liver issues. And he barbers his feathers, does he also pluck them?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:07 pm

Two different birds. The one barbering his feathers is Tango, the Greenwing. He does not pluck, I don't think.
The guy with the beak issues is Marvin, the Mealy Amazon. I know they are all vetted more than once in quarrentine. They spend 30 days in there and they have blood work and such. They say Marvin's feet have gotten better since he got his perches changed. He is so heavy. They say his beak has been improving, too.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:44 am

Sorry about that, tango's picture is the only one showing on this page on my computer and I missed the line beneath the picture.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:09 am

Well, Tango is not only barbering, he is also plucking. And I hope that Marvin is on a special diet with supplements for liver cleansing because the fact that he is an amazon, is obese and has an overgrown beak can only point in one direction and one direction alone and that is advanced liver malfunction. I am not saying this is the case here but, in my personal experience, most bird rescues don't really go into taking care of medical problems like liver and kidney very thoroughly...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic