Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Rescue!

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:20 am

15 birds adopted in June!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:09 am

YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!! :danicing: :danicing: :danicing:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:28 am

Navre wrote:15 birds adopted in June!

I'm trying to think of everyone who went. We had 2 BFA, 2 alexandrines, 1 Cape parrot, 1 U2, 1 blue streaked Lory, 3 turacos, 2 splendid grass parrots, 4 budgies (at least), 2 cockatiels... That's more than 15 right there.
Navre
African Grey

Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:18 am

Ohhhhh, turacos are BEAUTIFUL! Which kind did you have?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:44 am

Pajarita wrote:Ohhhhh, turacos are BEAUTIFUL! Which kind did you have?

We had a single that was a Green or a guinea? Many of the file pictures of the Fauna guy were ones in which he was holding this bird. We named her Cleopatra, because of her eyes.

We also had a pair of White Crested, maybe? Not sure. I just looked at all 23 species and I really don't know.

I know that they all like to get to the ground and RUN!

We really try to stick to parrots. There was a bit of a learning curve with the turacos. They have such a jungle-sounding call! it's so neat! It sounds like a huge bird, or a medium primate. They did well, and they seemed okay, but we were able to find a Turaco place for the pair (I don't remember where...Texas maybe. They weren't shipped as we never ship birds. A volunteer and someone else drove them down there). The green one was adopted by a volunteer who already had a Turaco. She she knows what she's doing, so it was a perfect landing spot for Cleopatra.

So the turacos are gone, the finches are gone, so I think we are back to all parrots. I mean, lories are more butterfly than parrot, but technically they're still parrots.
Navre
African Grey

Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:29 am

:lol: "More butterfly than parrots"? That's a good comparison.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:48 pm

Our Hawkshead parrot, I think we named him Pharaoh, was still terrified of people. Foster Parrots had a single Hawkshead, so Pharaoh was sent there. I think that's his best chance at a happy life. I hope it works out.

He is a beautiful bird, but he is so scared, as quick as a rattlesnake, and bites hard. I think a sanctuary is the place for him.
Navre
African Grey

Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Yes, traumatized ex-breeders don't do well in human environments... I like Foster Parrots but I worry about the huge number of birds they have and the fact that both Mark and Karen are getting on in years.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Maggie was a 4 year old breeder who lost her mate and would not take another. After all these years she still does not want touched but will tweet to me a couple inches away if she does not see my hands. Andy followed her for so log she finally gave up. I did not see them mate but they sat on fake eggs together. It was so sweet. I had only seen that with Shadow and Sweetie.
Maggie seems very happy in the flock. She is an adventurous eater too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 13
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rainbow
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Lacy Flutter Phoenix Jackie Andy Gimpy Louise

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:39 pm

Phoenix, our 20-something year-old Severe Macaw went home yesterday. He is quite a handful, but he found a family and he liked them all! I'm happy for him!
Navre
African Grey

Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic