Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Navre » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:59 pm

Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:07 am

AWWWW, a happy-ending for a homeless bird! What a wonderful way to start the new year! Thanks, John!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Pajarita wrote:AWWWW, a happy-ending for a homeless bird! What a wonderful way to start the new year! Thanks, John!

I'm really happy about this one. It's a real success story.

I wasn't there when she was taken in, but her cage was so bad, literally falling apart from rust as it was carried in, that some of the volunteers were crying. A group called Crazy Bird Ladies donated a new cage for Max and I built perches for her out of 2x4.

Macaws can be tough to place. They are just so big, and noisy. I LOVE macaws, and they love me. Especially the female geeenwimgs. I just don't have room for a Macaw.
Max came a long way in a short time. All she needed was some love, some attention, and some out of cage time. She's so sweet. You can tell that she was well loved at some time in her life. And she is again, now.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:28 pm

And the details you just provided made the end even happier!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:15 am

Rio, is a tiny, beautiful, 35+ year-old BFA. She is probably wild caught. She is super sweet. She had one home her entire life, but her owner passed away. She was kept in a cage that was way too small, but you can tell she was loved.

https://www.facebook.com/riparrot/video ... 467826715/
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:26 pm

:lol: Yabadabadoo to you, too! I would take her in a jiffy - I have such a soft spot for old amazon hens! But how unusual that she doesn't have any yellow whatsoever on her front or cheeks! I wonder if she is a hybrid... Her plumage doesn't look healthy, either (is her liver OK?)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:45 pm

She looks ratty there. She is probably wet. She doesn't look bad, normally.
I'm sure she was on a bad diet 30 years ago...they all were. She also looks like the BFAs I remember from back then. She's smaller, with less yellow. I always figured the big ones with the yellow were the ones who were the hybrids. Rio is probably wild caught. Her band is an FDA band, I think.

She prefers men, and children, but she is okay with some women. She is the only bird I've seen who doesn't like our facility manager. All of the other birds like her, and many love her, but Rio doesn't like her at all.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Yes, so true... all old parrots were on terrible diets! But, as far as I know, the BFA all have yellow, some more, some less but they all do. At least, that's what my Encyclopedia of Amazons Parrots says.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby alienlady » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:44 am

I have fallen in love with her at first sight ! So adorable. Yabba dabba doo, aww she's gorgeous ! :danicing: :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:34 am

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot