Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:21 am

Navre wrote:Here is one of our Lory Pairs. They bolted out the door while I was filling their nectar bowl.

https://youtu.be/3zSnEglts5w

:lol: What cuties!!! They seem very happy to be out or very eager for their food.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:29 am

Well, I tell you, in my personal opinion and experience, the best cages when it comes to paint are the old ones. Those would not chip if you took a hammer to them because all powder coatings are not the same - there is real good powder coating, there is good and there is bad and, apparently, it has to do not only with the actual material used but the amount of layers they do. And, it seems to me that all the new cages, even the expensive better quality ones, chip way too easily because they only use one or two coats. For sheer durability, there is nothing like stainless steel but the cost is prohibitive -at least for me with so many birds. With toos, with their super powerful beaks and they chronic need to chew, it also has to do with the amount of time they spend in the cage and what they have for chewing material. Linus' cage is still perfect - with not a single chip BUT, although he uses it for perching and chewing his boxes inside, he lives cage-free and gets plenty of stuff he likes to chew.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Navre wrote:Here is one of our Lory Pairs. They bolted out the door while I was filling their nectar bowl.

https://youtu.be/3zSnEglts5w

:lol: What cuties!!! They seem very happy to be out or very eager for their food.

It was happy to be out. They escaped because I was changing their nectar bowl. The old bowl was too deep which meant they could never get the fruit pieces I put in it without great effort. One (Probably the male) bit my hand and I dropped the bowl. He took the opportunity to fly around the room and generally make a nuisance of himself, lol. I opened his cage door because they will often go back on their own. His mate flew out to join him.

I let them stay out as long as I could, but eventually they started bugging the other birds in their cages and were going to get a foot bitten. Not that a lory can do much damage (there are nothing but lorries in this room), but I eventually had to net one. The other one followed into the cage.

We have some sort of white boards propped up against the walls behind the cages. It so they can be taken out and sprayed down. These guys love to get down on the floor and run behind them. There can be so hard to catch. They're easier to catch outside in the aviary, but it's too cold for that now.

Floopy, who just got adopted, would fly around, occasionally landing on me to bite my face. If I opened his cage and just went to pick up the net, he would fly back inside.

Most of the little scaly-breasted ones who would step up for me have been adopted. Pacino (we named him this because he had a scar on his face) would ride around on my shoulder while I fed other birds.

Here is a picture of Pacino and his scar.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 pm

They are such striking birds that it's no wonder people want them as pets - not realizing how difficult they are to keep, unfortunately!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:02 pm

We have 2 pairs of conures. When we got them, three were badly plucked. Today, two of the three have regained a lot of their feathers. We have had them since Sept '16. It's taken a while.
Last edited by Navre on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:54 am

Yes, it does. In my personal experience, the larger the species and the longer the plucking has been going on, the longer it takes for them to get better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 am

One of the Rescues on the west coast just announced that they will no longer place their Moluccans. They will still take them, but they will no longer adopt them out.

The Second Chance Bird Rescue in Bend OR posted this. "We here at Second Chance will no longer adopt out our Moluccans. They have become the number one throw away birds. We have decided to let them live out their lives here at the Rescue. We will take them in but no longer adopt or foster them out. And let them be as close as we can to live out their lives in nature and scream as loud as they want."
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Good move! Everybody wants an M2 because they are beautiful and so very large but they all end up giving them up in a matter of months or a couple of years. This is still another species that should have NEVER been brought and bred for the pet trade - they have MISERABLE lives in captivity!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:19 pm

We have 2 or 3. Bucca is wild caught. We have had him a long time. He is really loud, but someone is currently working with him.

Max is super friendly, but becoming less so to men. He was from the Weston seizure. He mutilates so we have him in a collar. His mutilation issue seems to be improving. He loves to talk. Everyone wants him but he really needs constant companionship, so if you work it’s almost impossible.

Lucy was paired with max at the breeder. They hated each other. She mutilates under her wing. One of the volunteers took her home about a year ago to try to get her to stop. This volunteer has several large toos. I don’t know if she has been adopted or is still technically in foster, but she is doing well, so no need to bring her back.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Even if you don't work, it's still impossible to truly satisfy a cockatoo! Who can spend 24/7/365 with a bird for years and years and years?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic