Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:24 am

They are beautiful animals!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 am

This is Neko. He is 10 or 11. He had been with us for over 3 years. He went home yesterday. This is a huge deal. Neko (Nee-ko) had been abused. He was scared of perches because his cage had been beaten with a perch to keep him quiet. He had had 5 owners in the several months prior to him coming to us. To say he had a lot of rough edges would be an understatement.

It's probably been just the last year that he has started to come around and trust a bit. But then this guy came in, talked to him, sang to him, played him music (Neko likes Sinatra) and they really bonded.

Neko was a total ham yesterday. A reporter who had covered Neko came in to cover the adoption. It was a pretty special day.

Last edited by Navre on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:07 am

And no wonder Trix loves Sinead (Adopted last week), She looks like she IS a blue and Gold Macaw herself.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 am

:lol: Yes, she does!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Crackers the U2 went home yesterday. First adoption of 2018!

She was only here since Oct. I knew she would find a home quickly.

Officially 79 successful adoptions in 2017. Not bad considering we didn't really start the program up again until June.

We are down to 63 Birds. 78% of them(49) are still Weston Birds. We have been able to set up a quarantine room again and are able to take birds in (although we still want to get down to 50 birds).

79 adoptions won't be done again. That number is high because our number of birds was high. It was too high because we took in so many birds at once.

We took in 117 Weston Birds. 51 have been adopted, 17 died. These numbers don't count the ones who were taken right to the vet from Weston. I think they all died, as the vet only took the sickest.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 am

YAAAAAYYYYY for Crackers!!! Any particular reason why so many Weston birds still remain? I mean, is it because they are still recuperating or because they are just too many or because they are not as adoptable as other birds would be?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Some aren’t adoptable yet. They’re not companion birds. Even my Irwin, who I adopted, is totally wild.

The other problem is moving through that many applications takes a ton of man-hours. 79 adoptions means almost as many home visits, plus the visits for adoptions that have not or will not happen for lots of different reasons.

A lot of the remaining birds are Lories. They have been slow to place becaise they’re so messy. They’re really nice birds, but they need fresh nectar all day so many people just can’t take them.

A lot of the remaining birds are Amazons. They always seem to move slowly.

We have Max the M2, who everybody wants and almost nobody is right for.

We have 4 budgies, a pair of p’lets, a pair of lovebirds, a pair of Plum heads, and a pair of cockatiels. Those birds could all be gone really fast, as they’re aviary birds, and paired up. It just takes applying.

Of the birds who were here when I started in 2015, only 2 remain. Bucca, a wild caught M2, and Snowball, a G2.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 pm

Weston Birds left:

3 Yellow Shouldered Amazons (Athena, Kiwi, Pickles)
Bodines Amazon (Bear) -Will be tough to place
Red Capped Parrot (Beep)
Blue Bellied Parrot (Blue Berry)
3 Pairs of Scaly Breasted Lorries
4 Budgies
1 pair Cockatiels
2 Pair Golden Conures
Bronze Winged Pionus (Harley)
1 pair Black Capped Lorries (OJ, Fiona)
1 Black Capped Lory (Livy)
1 pair Lovebirds
1 M2 (Max) -Very Needy. Mutilator
1 pair Slender Bills (Mushu, Cricket) - Very feather destructive
1 Pair Parrotlets
1 pair Yellow Collared Macaws (Pebbles, Bamm-Bamm)
1 Lineolated Parakeet (Petri)
1 pair Plum Headed Parakeets
1 pair Vasa Parrots (Poe, Lenore)
1 Pair Indian Ring Necks (Raj, Priaya)
1 Pair Green Cheeked Amazons (Rico, Ruby)
1 Stella's Lorikeet (Rory)
1 Pair Green Nape Lorries (Russell, Rose)
1 Rainbow Lory (Skittles)
1 Brown Lorry (Zorro)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 am

OH, my... Poor babies! Yes, I would imagine that placing ex-breeders is very hard because they need to go to somebody who does not care about not having a companion parrot and that means not only experience but also infrastructure as birds that are not human friendly also need to come out to fly but are very hard to train to go back into their cages - it's not impossible but it takes a loooong time and A LOT of patience. Funny thing is, those are the ones that I prefer, especially if they are a bonded pair. I tell you, if I wasn't so far away, I would take a pair...
Last edited by Pajarita on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 am

Pajarita wrote:OH, my... Poor babies! Yes, I would imagine that placing ex-breeders is very hard because they need to go to somebody who does care about not having a companion parrot and that means not only experience but also infrastructure as birds that are not human friendly also need to come out to fly but are very hard to train to go back into their cages - it's not impossible but it takes a loooong time and A LOT of patience. Funny thing is, those are the ones that I prefer, especially if they are a bonded pair. I tell you, if I wasn't so far away, I would take a pair...

The pair of Green-cheeked Amazons would probably do great with you.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic