Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 am

It could also be word-of-mouth... You know, one person has a good, positive experience with the rescue (friendly people, reasonable prices, honesty as to the bird's medical condition and/or disposition, a process that is neither too onerous nor too lengthy on the applicant, etc] and they will recommend it to somebody else. I used to recommend a rescue but I stopped doing it because, apparently, they have changed their methods lately. I knew the people from before they had the rescue and kept in touch with them after they started it - even taking several 'difficult' birds from them. I had been there a few times and thought they were doing their best by the birds (even though I did not agree on the diet they were given or the lighting but I did not hold it against them because I know I am a maniac when it comes to these things :lol: ] but I found out they lied about a bird's medical condition and that the new person in charge of adoptions was not willing to make her decisions on a case-by-case basis and rejected an applicant for a stupid reason so I no longer recommend them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 am

We need to do better on lighting. Some of the rooms have next-to-no natural light. But I was there on Sunday working on converting the aviary from a makeshift MASH unit back into an aviary. Hopefully the birds will be getting outside time, soon.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:51 am

I think that light quality and schedule is one of the hardest things for people to accomplish for their birds. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I've even seen plucking birds that are kept without any artificial lights on during the day - I am not talking about a good quality full spectrum, mind you!, I am talking no lights on and in rescues!!! People don't realize that what's good enough for humans is NOT good enough for a bird. And, as to a solar schedule... well, unless you actually sat down and thought out the best possible set-up for the bird and not just put the cage where it 'fits' and looks good with the rest of the furniture as well as be willing to get up as early as 4:30 am (I am getting up at 5am these days and it's beginning to be not early enough :( ], it just doesn't work - and I don't know that many people willing to get that early in the am! Sheesh, my family knows very well what a maniac I am about my birds and still thinks I am crazy for doing this! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:28 am

At home I have to keep the blinds closed at night or the neighbor's lights will illuminate the room. It's tough to get the blinds opened in time for first light, but they're open before the sun is up.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 pm

https://www.facebook.com/riparrot/posts ... 3061927254

Duncan was adopted yesterday. She is a CAG. She wasn't here very long. (The post says "he" but it's just wrong. Whoever made the post didn't know she was a girl, and it's not really worth fixing)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:10 am

Navre wrote:At home I have to keep the blinds closed at night or the neighbor's lights will illuminate the room. It's tough to get the blinds opened in time for first light, but they're open before the sun is up.

Yes, I close the blinds in the windows because of the street lamps and the STUPID motion-activated lights my husband had installed on the side of the house! They are super sensitive and every time a feral cat walks down my driveway [they know there is food for them in the backyard], they go on and stay on for an entire minute -which is good 'safety-wise' but they are SOOO strong that they illuminate almost the entire dining room and I can't have lights going on and off all night long with the birds! And that's why I have to get up so early during the summer -because I have to open the blinds for them and let them out of their cages. In the winter, I cover their cages at night and uncover them in the morning but I don't like to do that during the hot weather because I am also a maniac about everybirdy breathing as much fresh 'circulated' air as possible... It seems that I am a maniac about a lot of things, doesn't it? Maybe my family is right after all! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:03 pm

https://youtu.be/k23e_HARcBI

This is Cheerio! He went home today. I wasn't expecting him to be gone when I got there tomorrow, but I'm happy for him.

This video is from last year when I bought him a new cage.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:41 am

:lol: He really was happy in his new cage! And how wonderful that he found a home of his own! I love cockatoos! I love the way they run real fast by hopping like a rabbit, I love how much they like music, I love how they always dance when happy, I love the fact that they are EXCELLENT eaters and how much they love to bathe - I pretty much love everything about them except how loud they scream but it's not bad at all if they only do it at 'calling' times.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:43 pm

A cockatiel went home today!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:19 am

Some kind of Lorry. This is one of a bonded pair. Awesome birds.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic