Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 pm

Actually, that name thing angered me more than anything else. For all the other stuff I decided he was sick, lost control, and spiraled into the condition that he and the birds got into. This name thing shows something about him before all that happened, and it's still not good.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:11 am

People who really love animals don't allow things to 'spiral out of control'. They stop before it gets to that point. There is huge and very common misconception about 'animal lovers'. People that don't really love animals call themselves that all the time but, in reality, the object of their affections is not the animal, it's themselves. These are the ones that get animals because of what the animal does for them: status, entertainment, company and love, etc. They are not in it for the animal's sake but their own - and, unfortunately for pet animals, this group is hugely larger than the one of true animal lovers...

And, yes, you are absolutely right, that was a real sick thing to do to the poor birds. I also never change the names but I do when the name has negative connotations or it doesn't 'match' the gender - only I always try to find them new names that sound as close as possible to their original one -but that's only if the bird reacts to it because I have and have had birds that couldn't care less about the supposedly given name but would readily respond to another. Like Javi and Cheeks - he doesn't even look at you if you call 'Cheeks' but, call him 'Javi' and he actually comes out of hiding [he LOVES to hide]. Same with Sweetpea and Sabu - you could say 'Sabu' until you were blue in the face and he would not react but he asks "What's your name?" and answers: "Sweetpea!"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Pajarita wrote:People who really love animals don't allow things to 'spiral out of control'. They stop before it gets to that point. "

While I agree with you, I decided to believe that he was sick and couldn't help it. It's what I needed to do to deal with the situation and deal with the birds once we got them. It would have been easy for me to get consumed with anger, especially as birds started to die. Especially as our lives and the lives of the birds we already had in the rescue were turned upside-down.
Being angry at him wasn't going to help the birds.

I was a few feet from that guy as we waited for him to sign things over. I had to decide to let it go right there. I never followed the court case. I never went to court. I wrote a witness statement, I guess, but I know from years of work on the fire department that if you let the idiots get to you, you make it harder to do YOUR job. My job was to help take care of the birds. Someone else had to be the one to be mad at him, punish him, or whatever they did. I can do one or the other, but not both.

Most car accidents had one idiot who was responsible for all the carnage. And he was usually right there, needing help too. You just have to skate your lane, as they'd say in hockey. You have to bury the anger. That's why God invented booze.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Jasmine got adopted! She has been with is since May of 2015! I think all our DYH are gone! We had 6 at one time, I think.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am

Awww, what great news! She is going to get a home of her own after such a long time...

You are right about not allowing anger to rule you, I also learned that very useful lesson a long time ago. Anger is not conducive to happiness and there is no two ways about that! If you want to be happy, you need to work at it and make changes in yourself to achieve it... but that doesn't mean that I am not clear on whose guilt it was and whether the situation could have been prevented. Most people do wrong things knowing they are wrong - including hoarders of animals.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Missed another week at the rescue. My back pain is just too bad. And now, since I haven't been out of the house in a month, I think the lack of activity is making things worse.

And I have missed saying goodbye to OJ, Fiona, and Jasmine. And Taco goes home this weekend. We might get under 60 birds soon!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:05 am

I am so sorry about your back... have you tried the zero gravity chair? They say it works wonders for painful backs. Exercises to strengthen the muscles that support the spine also work very well. I was diagnosed with double scoliosis and one leg shorter than the other when I was 12 years old and told by the doctors that, if I did not get surgery and wear a shoe higher than the other, I would not be able to walk from the pain by the time I was 40 but I never had surgery, I stopped wearing the shoe when I left my house to get married and I'll be 63 next month and I am not only still walking, I even run :lol: And I credit it to a wonderful physical therapist that I saw many years ago that taught me the right exercises and that I still do three times a week.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:06 am

I've been working on our petfinder listings. Most of these were done by me. I'm trying to get all the adoptable birds up there.

www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id ... nimal=bird
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

Nice! I did not know you had vasas... and why the 'other' on the species? Is it that you can only choose what they have on their list?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 am

Pajarita wrote:Nice! I did not know you had vasas... and why the 'other' on the species? Is it that you can only choose what they have on their list?

Yes. It's a dropdown list. I didn't do that one so I went back to check. No Vasa option.

The Vasa's were from the Weston Seizure. They were bald with yellow skin when they came in. I guess it's a breeding thing for them. They've gotten pretty good, but one of them HATES me. I can't even feed them. I did catch one of them in Weston, so maybe he is still mad at me over that. Maybe it's the beard, bit he goes into full attack mode whenever I get near the cage. I named them Lenore and Poe because they look a bit like Ravens. And when they're in breeding condition, they look like vultures. I figured the nod to Edgar Allan Poe was appropriate. I think I suggested Poe and our vet suggested Lenore.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic