Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Johnny (B+G Male) and Wanda (Greenwing assumed female) went home yesterday. So did their GIANT cage! I'm so happy for them. Finding a home for a bonded pair of Macaws could have taken a lot longer than it did. They're good birds, they just need a lot of room. I'll miss them.

Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:45 am

OH, how very WONDERFUL for them!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:33 pm

https://www.facebook.com/riparrot/video ... 561488603/

I’m glad to say that the decision was made that our remaining budgies won’t be broken up. All 4 will be adopted out as one group. When we had 20, it might have been hard to find someone willing to take them all, but with just 4 left, it’s totally doable!

I think we even have a 32x21 cage in storage I might be able to sell to potential adopters. Other than the fact that it’s black, it would be a perfect cage for our little flock. (We have lots of black cages, and here isn’t really anything wrong with them, it just seems darker, and more depressing. Maybe it’s just a human, emotional thing, but when I have to order a cage now, it’s white, Grey, sandstone, anything but black)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 am

:lol: I am the same! I have only one black cage in use left and it's the double macaw one I use for the amazons during breeding season which, eventually, I will replace with a white or sand colored one. It's a very large and very expensive cage to replace and, as I only use it for a few months out of the year, I have been leaving it for last but it will get done. I think people buy black cages because they 'match' their décor better than a white one... or maybe is because they are under the misconception that a black cage would not show dirt so easily.

And HURRAYYY for the budgies!!!! So glad they won't be separated!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Look at how good Lula is looking after a year with us! She looked a little ratty when she came in, and I know these guys look bad during molts, but I think those feathers and beak look really good!

She was so skinny when she came in. She is the sweetest little bird.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:42 am

Awwww, she is beautiful!!!! Is she alone? Also, I sent you two pms and got no response - can you please check to see if you received them? I have a friend that wants to adopt a parrot and I recommended your rescue...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Pajarita wrote:Awwww, she is beautiful!!!! Is she alone? Also, I sent you two pms and got no response - can you please check to see if you received them? I have a friend that wants to adopt a parrot and I recommended your rescue...

She’s alone. I don’t remember if she had a dead mate in her cage, or not. I didn’t cut her out of her cage.

I got your PMs. I guess I’m not getting notifications any more and I have to check them manually.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:02 am

This is Zorro out in the aviary yesterday. He is our only brown Lory. He has gotten a bit cage aggressive, bit he is really sweet once he is out.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Navre wrote:We lost a little parrotlet this week. He was unnamed, but I called him Fiesty. He was attack my hands whenever I went in his cage, and strut around triumphantly once he had driven me away. It was sad to see his mate yesterday. She looks lost.

Last Friday I had noted that he was at the bottom of the cage when I opened. I kept an eye on him all day, but he seemed okay. Buy the beginnning of the week I guess he was worse. I think he just stopped eating. He got taken to the vet (a tough decision because moving him and separating him from his mate is all bad stress) but he died the next day. She didn't think there was too much hope for him when she got him. We are doing a necropsy. It HAS to be done because he was in a room with 20 other birds, but I'd bet it will show what they have all shown. Liver and kidney problems that lead to systems shutting down and anorexia.

I'll miss the little guy. I feel bad, but I don't think I have any pictures of him. I hope his mate make out okay. They were a true bonded pair.

It turns out that we did have a picture of Feisty.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic