Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:24 pm

I didn't take that picture, and for some reason i can't resize it. If you click on it you should be able to see it.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:11 am

He did not look bad at all on the picture but, then, they hardly ever do before they die... The little ones are usually not fed right at all and that's usually the reason why they die young. People think that pellets are good for them but anybody who really knows about them will tell you they are not.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:28 am

Having no history on him, I have no idea how old he was. I know that beak was showing no signs of growing back.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:08 am

Yes, but that is the way it goes when half the beak is broken off. It just never grows back because the 'live' part of it is gone.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Diana, our albino Princess of Wales parrot went home last week. She’s a sweet little thing. I’m so happy for her.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:02 am

Ahhh, good news! I hope they have other parakeets to keep her company!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:42 am

We have a few new birds. A GIANT Greenwing named JJ. I suspect JJ is a female, based on behavior. She is very smart, and she talks a lot. She says a lot, and she seems to speak appropriately. She has a gravelly voice but it’s understandable. She names food when you show it to her. Yesterday morning she told me she wanted some toast. She asks for peanuts, and yesterday after asking for a peanut, she informed me that we do not h@ve any peanuts (I suspect she has been told that often since she has been at the rescue) She plays rough. She’s always grabbing just slightly harder than you’d want her to, but because I have ZERO fear of Macaws (I contend that they’re 90% bluff) I just ingnore it and we have a great time. If a too or a Zon grabbed me like that I’d consider it a warning and back off. I think JJ is just playing rough. Her cage is too small for her, probably only about 3feet wide, but it’s the cage she had when she came in, and we keep her out of it a lot. We will move her to a bigger cage once she’s settled in a bit. She’s a pretty cool bird. Greenwings and I tend to get along well.

Norton is a female Greenwing. She just came in. She’s beautiful. I havent interacted with her too much.

Crackers is a beautiful U2. She’s tiny compared to our other U2. She has brown, not black eyes. This is why we think she’s female. She talks very clearly, and softly, like the big ‘toos seem to do. I guess she was adopted from us, many years, many locations, and many managers ago (18 years ago, I think?). I just met her yesterday and we are letting her settle in, but she seems like a great bird.

Crackers came in with Alex. He is a red-lored Amazon. He’s a bit nervous still, but he just got here. He is a bit chubby. He must have broken a wing early in life and it was never set right. We will need to get him moving more once he settles in. We haven’t had a red-lored here in the 2 1/2 years I’ve been here. He’s currently next to Crackers for some familiarity and comfort. We usually keep all the Amazons together, so he’ll probably end up with them later. The only Amazons who aren’t with the others is our pair of Green Cheeked Amazons. They’re way too skittish to be out on the main floor.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:47 am

These new birds were all vetted and quarantined off site. Our normal quarantine room is still full of lorries. So we send out vet to the relinquishing Home. We can’t accept the bird until all the lab work comes back. We do keep them in a smaller room, our old “Amazon” room, just for an adjustment period. There are other birds back there, the Slender Bills who pluck like crazy when on the main floor, the skittish pair of Green Cheek Amazons, the tiny birds like the p’lets And love birds, etc.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:39 am

Awwww, my very first rescue bird was a female redlored. She was thought to be a male and 'his' name was Pistachio but she never even looked at you when you said it while, if you said 'Pretty Bird' she would pay attention so she ended up with that name. I had her for many years but I had to put her down because she got bone cancer in her legs and was in a lot of pain... I still miss my Pretty Bird - she was the sweetest thing and we loved each other to pieces!

Seems like you are back to been 'full' again.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Pajarita wrote:Awwww, my very first rescue bird was a female redlored. She was thought to be a male and 'his' name was Pistachio but she never even looked at you when you said it while, if you said 'Pretty Bird' she would pay attention so she ended up with that name. I had her for many years but I had to put her down because she got bone cancer in her legs and was in a lot of pain... I still miss my Pretty Bird - she was the sweetest thing and we loved each other to pieces!

Seems like you are back to been 'full' again.

We are full, but birds adopted from us, even if it was 17 years ago, have to come back. It’s part of the deal. I know they get many more Relinquish requests than we are able to accept. I don’t do relinquishments. I only know a fraction of it.

We have several birds, including a macaw and an Amazon, scheduled to be adopted in the next few weeks. That will give us some room.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic