Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:29 pm

My greencheek does not know her name. She thinks it’s Silly Bird.

There are some birds at the rescue who don’t know their names. We named a lot of the birds we got from Weston because you can only refer to them as “the third pair of green Naped lorries from the door,” or the birds in cage #6, for so long. Some birds got names based on their characteristics. The one with the scar on his face became Pacino. Others told us their names. Jacob said “Jacob is a good boy” enough that we gave him his name back. But others were just named because any name is better than a number. If you adopt Pip and Pepper, and you really want to change their names, it’s okay, they don’t know they’re Pip and Pepper anyhow.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 am

I’ll post pictures of Crackers and Alex if I can ever get photobucket and this site to work at the same time!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:37 am

This is Alex. He looks a little rough, and I hate that perch for him, but it was his cage and we change things like that slowly as he settles in

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:39 am

This is Crackers. She has already been moved out of this cage because it was not safe.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 am

Awwww, such pretties!!! Crackers needs wood and hard cardboard - plastic doesn't do it for toos. They would chew on it because they would chew on anything but give them a thick, hard cardboard box big enough that they can get inside and they are in seventh heaven :D I won't last a day in one piece but you can actually see their eyes lighting up when they see it. Linus just got a brand new one and he literally run to it :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:51 am

We do the boxes, but sometimes the boxes make the birds too aggressive and cage protective.

I’ll probably make Crackers 2x4 perches. Although she might be a bit too small to use them as perches comfortably. Our other U2 and M2s use them, and they love to chew them, but Crackers is really tiny.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 am

Yes, the boxes do make them more aggressive in the sense that they 'defend' their 'nests' from us but that only happens during breeding season under normal circumstances. I will comment on this further on my update when I talk about Linus.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:24 am

When the Cockatiel room was painted, I replaced the baseboards with untreated pine. They were chewing on the other ones so I gave them something to attack.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 am

liz wrote:When the Cockatiel room was painted, I replaced the baseboards with untreated pine. They were chewing on the other ones so I gave them something to attack.

That's a good idea
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:20 am

Yep, that's what I did in the parrot room only I did not replace them, I simply nailed them on top of the old ones. Works great! Half of them are already all chewed up :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic