Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Postby Navre » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Navre wrote:I thought it was appropriate that he said this when Charlie was adopted. It is what I reflected upon when wolf died himself. And again when Charlie died yesterday.

Well, when birds 'sleep a lot' there is something VERY wrong with them - and no, it's not age, it's disease or a serious condition.

I guess he was over 50. He had a sunflower seed diet and lived in a tiny cage until his owner died and he came to the rescue.
He had gotten a lot better, but was hospitalized several times in the past few months for fluid in the lungs. At the end I think I was a cardiac problem? Does a weakening heart end up with fluid in the lungs like it does in mammals?
I think it’s like it was with Tanya. They get better for a while with good care, but dietary abuse for that long is going to shorten their lives.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:14 am

Yes, it's the same with birds. And it is from a bad diet because what happens is that the blood has too much fat [cholesterol] and protein in it so the heart becomes enlarged in order to be able to pump it and this, in turn, ends up in congestive heart failure. But they also develop fluid in their abdominal cavity [around the lungs] from liver malfunction so, when there has been a real bad diet for a very long time and you don't do a super strict low protein, low fat, high moisture, high natural fiber fresh food diet with supplements, it just gets worse and worse and worse until the bird dies. But, sometimes, it's like you say, they do rally for a while with the better diet but, eventually, the internal organs give out. And, to put the icing on the cake, taking these birds to the vet often and putting them on mammal medicines makes it worse...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:31 am

Charlie used to hold hands. He’d stick his foot out of the cage bars to hold your finger. Almost every Cockatoo does this, but Charlie was the only Amazon I have met who did this.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:34 am

Poor thing! He must have spent A LOT of time in a cage for him to do that...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Would you consider mustache parakeets aviary birds? We have had a couple here and they have both been the sweetest little Velcro birds.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:22 am

Well, they are psittaculas so, yes, I would consider them aviary. But it's not that aviary birds don't like people, they do if they were handfed and have always been treated right by them [I mean, even canaries and finches can like people and there is no question that they are aviary - and canaries are not even social birds!]. It's that they are happier living with others of their own species. So, yes, psittaculas that have imprinted and learned to trust and like people would love to ride a shoulder [especially if the rest of the time they are kept in a cage]. It's a matter of degree, I would say... Companions can live an almost complete life with a dedicated, steady human while aviary will like, trust and even love a good human but will always do better with their own species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:08 am

https://youtu.be/gU79FFjk16Y

We had the Vasa parrots out on the aviary. They were the wildest birds we had from the Weston seizure. They are very calm now. They would take treats and tolerated us being right near them. They loved the sun.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:47 am

Oh, WOW! Yes, they LOVED it! Look at them sunning themselves with the feathers all spread out! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:56 am

What a beautiful site to see those beautiful babies sunning themselves. Hi guys yes I’m still here busier than ever with providing sanctuary for the rescues that burned down in the Redding Carr fire. I follow the Rescue posts , happy to see your still helping at the Rescue Navre. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:05 am

HEY, there, Lady!!!! Nice to hear from you and find out you are doing OK!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic