Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:52 am

I check CL every day because I am one of those that flags breeders and flippers and, every now and then, there is an ad for a bird that catches my attention because there is obviously something wrong with the bird and, if I have the room, I take it -that's how I ended up with Zachary C2, Zeus YNA, Nando Jenday and Chloe tiel as well as a couple of budgies that were given out for free -another red flag! But, often, what the previous owner considers a trait that makes the bird 'bad' is a simple thing that requires nothing but a bit of patience or not been a stickler for perfection (Chloe tiel is pinioned and has no tail so she looks like a little cinnamon duck but I think she looks real cute)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 pm

When I find one that seems loved but needs a new home and the people are giving free to good home I assume it is safe where it is at the moment. I email them and tell them to put a good price on them and tell something about them. If a good home shows up they can reduce the rehoming.
A free bird is usually snake food.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:16 am

There is a CAG at the rescue who has already bonded with me and already learned my name. I actually tried to avoid her when I first went in yesterday, wanting to work with some of the other birds, but she saw me and that was all it took.

I guess she doesn't let people handle her, but I was able to take her out, hold her, and even get her to lay down on her back on my hand and stay there. She pants and whines like a baby bird for me, and tries to feed me. The workers at the rescue say she is so attached that I will probably either need to take her, or stop working with her.

She is open banded, definitely imported, perhaps wild-caught (I find that hard to believe). Since she has a customs quarantine band, she is at least 20 years old? maybe older. I'd have to see when they stopped letting wild greys come into the country.

She is small for a CAG, but she is a great eater, seems quiet for a CAG, and is beautifully feathered. Her eyes are still light, they have not yet started to turn yellow.

Now I have to figure out if I can take her and how to integrate her into the house with my GCC. There is a very long adoption process at the rescue. It includes home visits and confirming that I have an appropriate vet and the money to care for the bird.

I figured it would be a long time before a bird chose to adopt me.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:43 am

Wild-caught importation stopped in 1992 so she has to be, at least, 23 years old. Her eyes will not change, she is too old for that. She sounds very hormonal, do they keep them at a solar schedule and a good diet at the rescue?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:50 am

It can take a while for a bird to bond but not always, Kookooloo, my Grey chose me and loved me from the instant that she saw me. I was asked to come and get her, although I had never seen her, because she would not let anyone touch her and would not have anything to do with the people she was with. They had had her for just over 2 months, she was brought up from Florida to them. Since it was warm weather the window of my truck was down and I could hear her screaming before I could see the house and she only stopped screaming when I went to her cage on the peoples deck. Every time that I moved away from her she started screaming. It made it a bit of a pain to load her things in the truck. Once I had her loaded and got in the truck with her, she stopped screaming. Although she will call for me if I leave the room or go outside, she has never screamed that way again.
Kiki, my Senegal is as much of a Velcro bird as any GCC, I think, as when she is out the only place that she really wants to be is on me and Kookooloo does not approve and refuses to accept her on me when she is out of the cage too. But the point is that it can be worked out and still give both birds enough time with you, but sometimes you have to get just a little creative about it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:48 am

They seem to have a good diet. They are all given chop at 0800, and it's removed at 1200.
In the afternoon they get the dry food. I'll have to find out what it is. It's mixture of stuff. It doesn't look like pellets or seed.

I'm not sure about the light schedule. It' takes me 2 1/2 hours to get there, so I'm there well after sun up. There are big windows in the front of the place, but sunlight probably doesn't light the whole place. I'll try to figure out which compass direction the windows face. (Edit: The windows face south)

My birds have been waking up at 0515. I doubt volunteers arrive at the rescue before that, so they are probably not on a solar schedule.

I don't know about the light for the birds in quarantine. I'm not allowed in there.
Last edited by Navre on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:51 am

The big consideration right now is figuring out how to do this at home. To be on a solar schedule pretty much limits the birds to one room. I have to change a whole lot around in that room to fit another large cage in there. There is no law that says you have to have a dining room table, right?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:58 pm

Right.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:19 am

LOL - No, there isn't! And there is no law that says you have to have a dining room, either. I know somebody in Calif (actually, Zoey's previous owner) who divided the living/dining room area (the apartment has an open space plan) so the dining room part became a bird room.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:19 am

New birds just out of quarantine include an Orange Winged Amazon. I had never seen one of these, either. His name is Taco, and he seems pretty calm. He is open banded; I don't know much about his story.

Two greys just came out of quarantine, a HUGE Congo names Ahses and a beautiful little open banded Timneh named Nick.

There is also a little greencheeked conure named Squeaky. He doesn't seem to like the rescue and has been wrecking his wing feathers. I have tried working with him, but so far he just bites me, and bites me like he means it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic