Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:02 am

Great news! And not only because this means that homeless birds found new homes but also because the high number of adoptions indicates that people are beginning to realize that the 'only a baby bird will work out' notion is nothing but a fallacy born of ignorance. It took a looooong time with dogs and cats but it seems that it's not taking that long with parrots - and I think it's because the dogs and cats were kind of like the trailblazers and that people have assimilated the concept that animals that end up being rehomed either through a rescue or privately are not necessarily 'damaged goods'. All my animals are rescues, adoptions or rehomes. All of them without exception and they are all wonderful animals. Some of them take a bit more work than others but I always take the 'difficult' ones and even they end up responding favorably given enough time, patience and love. But, in truth, even if they did not, I still consider adoption our moral obligation to adopt instead of buying a baby given the huge overpopulation problem we have...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:26 am

Bridge was adopted by the guy who used to own that beautiful Scarlet I posted a picture of a while back.

One of the green cheeks had been injured, so it's good to see them going somewhere where they can get extra attention.

We are actually in a position to take in birds again. We don't have quarantine space, so they'll be vetted before they get to us.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:36 am

I am sure that you will be full to capacity and then some pretty soon...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:23 am

A pair of parrotlets went home yesterday.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:24 am

Pajarita wrote:I am sure that you will be full to capacity and then some pretty soon...

I'd say we are over ideal capacity, still. We like to have a quarantine room, and a play room. Both are full of birds right now. We also liked to have all the Amazons in their own room. They seem to be far more relaxed when we do that.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:11 am

Yes, I am becoming convinced that amazons all belong to species that should not be kept as a single bird as they do much, much, much better when they have, at least, another amazon for company. I think the much touted 'independence' and 'couch potatoness' of amazons are nothing but signs that they need another bird because, when they are more than one, they are much calmer, less aggressive, less noisy and much more active than when they are alone - they also eat better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 am

Right now we have 2 DYH (Maya and Jasmine), an Orange Wing (Taco), a BFA (Kali), and three Yellow shoulder Amazons. The yellow shoulders were a pair, and a single, but the pair had to be separated. One is tentatively named Pickles. I think Pickles is a male. The one who was single has been being called Athena. They have been asking people on the Facebook page to offer names.

We then have a pair of Lilac crowns, or Mexicans, or whatever they are. Bonded pair, and very scared. They won't be adoptable any time soon.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 am

It is wonderful that the parrots have a loving friend like you.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:45 am

liz wrote:It is wonderful that the parrots have a loving friend like you.

Thanks Liz. We have a lot of great volunteers who love the birds.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:47 am

Navre wrote:Right now we have 2 DYH (Maya and Jasmine), an Orange Wing (Taco), a BFA (Kali), and three Yellow shoulder Amazons. The yellow shoulders were a pair, and a single, but the pair had to be separated. One is tentatively named Pickles. I think Pickles is a male. The one who was single has been being called Athena. They have been asking people on the Facebook page to offer names.

We then have a pair of Lilac crowns, or Mexicans, or whatever they are. Bonded pair, and very scared. They won't be adoptable any time soon.

We let the people at the open house pick names for some of the unnamed birds.

The Lilac Crowneds are Rico and Ruby. The YSA are Pickles, Athena, and Kiwi.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic