Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is anyone else allergic to their pets/birds?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Is anyone else allergic to their pets/birds?

Postby MissLady9902 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:47 am

I am allergic to my birds and my dogs.
I have to take a pile of allergy medication every day but it's worth it to me!
I have skin and breathing allergies to them both.
So far the allergy medication is working and I don't really have an issue with my animals.
I'm REALLY allergic to cats and rabbits so owning them is right out!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Sat May 29, 2010 8:26 am

It turns out I'm allergic to the dust cockatoos and African Greys (I imagine Cockatiels as well but haven't really been around any for that long) generate. Before my mom had air purifiers going downstairs in the birdroom proved to be, let's say, interesting; major case of sneezing, eyes watering, etc, etc. However, there was no way I would have consented to her rehoming the birds if it came to it because of my allergies (I was prepared to take medication daily and whatever else I could do). The worst part? My mom is a neat freak and she washed continuously down there, trying to get rid of all the dust/dander. It's really when she bought a few air purifiers to take care of what she missed that I was ok with going downstairs with no side-effects.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Marnie » Sat May 29, 2010 12:27 pm

i have a similar reaction to Marnies' nails. they need clipped and are like tiny needles, everywhere they touch me i get little itchy red bumps. i know its her nails, i can see the tiny red spots or bits of disturbed skin. so mine isn't a true allergy like having a tiel in the house. my asthma instantly flared up and my nose stuffed up.
i get the same skin reaction if i handle a pine tree, everywhere a needle poked me i get an itchy red bump. it only lasts a short while, not enough to do anything about.
i think perhaps you have the same sensitive skin i do.
Marnie
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds

Postby Michael » Sat May 29, 2010 6:35 pm

Well that's just irritation. You can get the same from scratching yourself too much or rubbing, etc. Why don't you get the nails trimmed then?

I'm sort of dealing with Kili's being too sharp right now too. But my problem is that they aren't long enough to trim yet. They are medium length but getting sharp. I have to put up with it at least another month so they get long enough that there is a sufficient amount of nail to cut.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Marnie » Sat May 29, 2010 9:06 pm

believe me, its on my list. i have been hunting for a nice smaller cage for traveling etc. i don't have a way to transport her right now. i'm pretty sure i could do it myself, just taking the tip off, but they are soooo tiny. not like my dogs nails, so i'd rather not try it.
the pet shop lady does wings and nails for $6. its a good price.
and no, i don't think its just "irritation". when i get a scratch, abraision, or whatever, it does not raise into an itchy red bump like her nails and pine trees do. its a reaction of some kind.
i'll have to look it up.......
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Postby Michael » Sat May 29, 2010 10:49 pm

$6 is really cheap. I dunno if that is the case cause you're in a cheaper region or if it's because the person doing it is inexperienced and charging a smaller price for that reason. A typical store around here would charge at least $12-$15 for a Senegal if not $20. A vet doing it could easily run $50-$100. So if things in general cost less in your area than mine, don't freak out but if you live in a pricier neighborhood, watch out that someone charging less could be inexperienced. Basically learn everything you can about how it should be done before you go and then make sure they are doing that.

I suggest all parrot owners know how to clip their parrot's nails (wings if applicable) but that they don't do it themselves and have a pro do it. By knowing, you can make sure they are doing it right and also know what to do in an emergency. However, actually doing it is harder than it looks and causes a lot of stress. So I don't recommend that you (and most parrot owners) do it themselves. Here is a post (with videos) about how I did it. Keep in mind that I'm a total newb at cutting nails and have only done it a few times myself. I'm doing it right but just taking my time and being really careful. A seasoned pro can do it in a minute with no bites and no bleeding. My version is kind of a slow motion of what an experienced groomer would do. Just remember, I'm not suggesting you actually do it but if you know what to look for, you can watch the person cut someone else's bird before yours and if you are comfortable with them doing it, $6 is a fantastic bargain for all the biting and trouble cutting nails is ;)
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Marnie » Sat May 29, 2010 11:16 pm

yes i guess you would call this area a cheaper region. the avian vet used to do it for $7 but thats where my amazons wings were cut too short. won't go back there.
the lady i go to now is the owner of the pet shop where i bought Marnie. she is very good an very knowledgeable about parrots. yeah its worth it to me to let her do it.
i just need to get that travel cage.
i think i'll go check to see whats available on Ebay.........
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:02 am

not allergies but my dad is asthmatic, which means my cats or my birds cant be around him for to long because of the feathers and the hair, if my birds have just had a bath he is ok because there is no dust.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Marnie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 am

i found a small cage for travel at a used mart for $8 .
so i got Marnies wings and nails clipped ($6) and its so nice to handle her now! no needle toes and no itchy red bumps!
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic