Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pet parrot peeve

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Pet parrot peeve

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:51 pm

I tried one vet nearby, but she did a physical exam and ran no tests. I really thought blood should be taken, but she thought it was unnecessary. I didn't go back there.

Another local vet seems to take blood from conure sized birds by clipping a nail short. This seems like it would hurt more, and for a longer time, and for an animal who sometimes stands in its own poop, it seems like an invitation for infection. So I didn't really want to try that place. My vet gets blood from the neck or from the leg of my green cheek easily. Seems like a better way to do it, although it probably takes more skill and more practice on the small birds.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:27 pm

More reference prices from today:

Avian Exam, Exotics, Reheck-Minor - $66
Gram Stain - $26.91
Cholesterol - $20.56
Medical Waste Fe - $5.00
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:57 am

Annual exam $109

Avian Sexing $60 (This was $84 last time)

Feather Cyst Resection Level 1 $113

Medical waste fee $5

Bloodwork $124

Band Removal $35

Silvadene Cream $21
Meloxicam $14
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:28 am

Where are the dedicated medical people.

When I was little there was a country doctor who we went to that charged $5 and provided medication. His office was upstairs over a bar and his waiting room was just straight back chairs and absolutely no frills. He cared for us for the sake of caring for us.

I was a single working mom. I was really sick from low blood sugar and went to a doctor who did my full care. I needed a shot every day and a once a week appointment. This doctor would meet me at his office when it was closed. He sat in his car until I pulled into the lot then ran in the office to give me a shot and get back out before anyone could see he was there. The man was so dedicated to helping that he never charged me.

I still had the dentist from my childhood at that time. A molar was really bothering me and I did not have sick time to get it fixed. I told my dentist to just pull it. He said he would charge me $50 to pull it but $20 to let him save it. Are there none who still care and cut people some slack.

In NC I had a Vet who gave me a quantity discount and would bill me if I did not have the money at the time that I need care for a pet. He had a very nice office and must have charged others as they could afford to keep his practice afloat.

It seems now that they are all in it for the money only. I have been turned away without help when the vet found out that I could not afford the care my pet needed. It makes me sick. I lost a few pets because I did not have the money available. As soon as I could I got a credit card to hold just for my pets care when I don't have cash. I get sad and angry when I here that someone cannot afford the vet bill and the vet has so little compassion that he does not allow the poor owner to make payments but turns him away instead.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:22 am

You know, Liz, I am right with you about this, but I also have to try and understand that the vets also have high bills and wages to pay and I now that many vets got stiffed by the customer that they gave credit to, especially when things did not turn out like the customer wanted them to. There are always at least two sides of the story.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:20 am

Navre wrote:Annual exam $109

Medical waste fee $5

Bloodwork $124

Band Removal $35

Silvadene Cream $21
Meloxicam $14

This was for your new bird, John? He had a feather cyst?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:55 am

Pajarita wrote:
Navre wrote:Annual exam $109

Medical waste fee $5

Bloodwork $124

Band Removal $35

Silvadene Cream $21
Meloxicam $14

This was for your new bird, John? He had a feather cyst?

Yes. It took her quite a while to clean it out. It was back by his preen gland. She was surprised that he hadn't been picking at it. I had no idea it was there.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:27 pm

My vet charges are a lot more than what you guys have posted here and now I don't know what to think . Also his prices just went up. I do my own trims nails ) I have got most of my birds taught to sit in my lap while I file them it's kind of a special time for us . I get the files from beauty supply house , the ones for grinding down acrylic nails. I'm under the gun with my vet because he's the only one close by. I have used dr. Brian speers in calif. for when my Rosie was so sick and he trains alot of the interns from avian schools. He's a regular scientist and lectures in other countries. He's good ! And compassionate and fair with pricing it's just 7 hours away. Gotta go the birds want to come back in . :P BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Navre » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Prices are pretty high in general here in Boston, but I suspect that in New York, California, Washington, Hawaii, high cost-of-doing-business states, prices would be even higher.

It also makes sense that prices are higher in places where there is little or no competition.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:21 am

I am not saying that the vets should lower their prices. As you said they have expenses too. What I am saying is to be turned away by a vet because you don't have money is a shame. There is no compassion.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic