Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Prices

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Bird Prices

Postby Titanius » Sat May 08, 2010 12:56 am

Jasper was $89 from the pet store I got him. The handfed baby cockatiels in the store were $125. Despite the difference in price I was really contemplating getting the younger handfed .But I looked at them but they all just looked sorta sick ie puffed up and lethargic. So I couldn't really ask my mom to spend that kind of money on a bird I wasn't really sure of. In the end I got the older bird and to be honest it hasn't been easy but it's all about putting the work in and socializing. On another note I've probably said it already but I went to a Petland and was just inquiring about birds and the lady walked away like 2 seconds later since she had someone who REAALLY wanted to buy some fish. The healthiest looking birds in there were the Sun Conures who probably had just got there. :roll:
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby budgiebuddy » Mon May 10, 2010 2:48 pm

i am almost positive that if you get them from rescue and adopt them they are free i think that is what i am going to do when i get a senegal parrot :senegal: a scarlet macaw
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby HyperD » Mon May 10, 2010 3:11 pm

I do not think the bird being free is a very good motive. As a rescue bird you will have a tougher time to gain its trust. It will most likely not be easy, but it will probably be fulfilling as you are essentially helping the parrot by bringing it into a better environment.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Michael » Mon May 10, 2010 4:04 pm

budgiebuddy wrote:i am almost positive that if you get them from rescue and adopt them they are free i think that is what i am going to do when i get a senegal parrot :senegal: a scarlet macaw

A rescue is not a shopping boutique.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Java » Tue May 11, 2010 9:25 am

I called pet shop looking for a Quaker like bird because I have had experience with Quaker parrots before. She said she had no Quakers right now (cept 2 breeders they keep in back room which just squawked tons, and I felt so bad for them, but did have 1 very sweet Senegal parrot left and he was so sweet, etc., and told me he was around 925 dollars. I decided to go check him out and got there and fell in love.

She promised to hook me up price wise, and honestly I do not know what she charged me for him, but my total cost upon leaving store, including his cage, food, toys, water bottles, and a new cage for my son's mice, and a bunch of other stuff I needed for all my other pets, my bill was over 1900.00. This lady is an excellent sales lady (for the store anyway) and she just kind of walks around the store picking up things she thinks you might need without even showing you the item or its price.
Java
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Either she is a good sales person or you are a bad customer! Did you not notice extra items when you were paying?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Java » Wed May 12, 2010 4:55 am

I did not notice anything until I got home and started to put his cage together and putting the toys in it and what not. She had pulled off shelves at least 12 toys, each one pricing like 8 to 25 bux, which for me is crazy, as I could have probably made him toys of the same type for much cheaper or bought them on an online site somewhere. She even had cleaners for the cage in the bags, which I did not need. Honestly, between me watching my little guy in the store, and holding the bird and paying attention to the bird as I was looking around, I didn't notice. My fault totally, but she is great at what she does.

For instance, I asked for a bag of the sand to go in the bottom of the bird cage, and when she heard I had a lizard too that uses this sand, she put back the smaller bag of sand, and pulled out a 50 pound bag, and I had no idea until putting it into car. Yes, I'll use it eventually, so it is not wasted.

I am not mad or upset, just was amazed at how well she does her job.
Java
Cockatiel

Jenday Conure

Postby Michael » Wed May 12, 2010 7:44 am

You know, you could just use newspapers for the cage bottom instead :lol:

As for the twelve toys, don't put them all in at once. For a Senegal that should last you six months at the least.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Wed May 12, 2010 9:22 am

budgiebuddy wrote:i am almost positive that if you get them from rescue and adopt them they are free i think that is what i am going to do when i get a senegal parrot :senegal: a scarlet macaw

Not all rescues give out their birds; there are adoption fees which, when you consider that the people at the rescue pay for vet care, food, toys and other supplies, it only makes sense.

I got two of my birds from a local rescues and they happened to be "free"'; however, the people running the rescue knew me for years, knew I had experience with birds, specially Poicephalus and although they worked a bit with Petey when they got him (and he ended up in a foster home for a few weeks until it was clear the lady there couldn't handle him) they didn't put that much effort into these two birds compared to others since they knew I could take it. I ended up with a bird who hates women (but who is much better now, 21 months later) and another one who was terribly nervous around people. They both came with a lot of baggage and quite frankly, I don't think just anyone could have dealt with it. So "cost free" maybe, but definitively not "problem free".
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Java » Thu May 13, 2010 12:11 am

Michael wrote:You know, you could just use newspapers for the cage bottom instead :lol:

As for the twelve toys, don't put them all in at once. For a Senegal that should last you six months at the least.

Yeah, I know i can use newspaper, but I needed sand for the lizard so now i have some for a while.

He does not like his toys too much and only usually plays with one, so they should last a long time.
Java
Cockatiel

Jenday Conure

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic