Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Prices

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Bird Prices

Postby c.hack » Fri May 14, 2010 9:02 am

On the topic of bird prices, I paid $400 for my Senegal in southeastern PA. The place I bought him from raises birds from hatch-lings (does not breed birds), hand feeds them and does a good job of socializing the birds. Considering all the other costs over the next 30+ years, whether Barney was $400 or $1000 really did not matter. My main concern was that he was a hand-fed, healthy, well-socialized bird.
c.hack
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Postby Java » Tue May 25, 2010 5:14 pm

I happened to clean out my pocket book other day, which had all the reciepts in it from when I bought my Senegal, and I had told you all that the total was over 1900 with the bird, supplies, etc. Well, according to the receipt, she charged me 1000 dollars for him and he is listed as "live animal" on the receipt.

I think he is worth every red penny, though, so no complaints here, but I do think that is a bit high.

I live in the boon docks of West Virginia, so I think maybe they are just not that available here to buy, so demand is high causing high prices. I have a total of 2 pet shops close to me. One is petsmart and all they have is parakeets and birds like that, and the shop I got him from which has a bunch of all types of animals, ferrets, snakes, lizards, birds of a few types, fish, dogs and cats, and I'm sure many things I am missing.
Java
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure

Postby Marnie » Tue May 25, 2010 8:02 pm

i am in North Central Pa.
i paid $800 for my amazon who was in a pet shop on consignment.
my pearl tiel was $65 on craigslist.
my budgie was $15 on craigslist.
the pair of IRNs were $300 with cage and nestbox.
my Senegal was in a pet shop for $495
the Moustache parrakeet was $200 with cage on Craigslist. (cage was crap)
Last edited by Marnie on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marnie
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds

Postby lzver » Tue May 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Marnie wrote:i paid $800 for my amazon who was in a pet shop on consignment.

I wish I could get an Amazon here in Canada for $800.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Tue May 25, 2010 11:53 pm

How difficult is it for you Cannies to buy a parrot from a US shop or breeder and either have it shipped there or come to pick it up? The fact that we have more available probably drives the prices to be much more reasonable. :)
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Wed May 26, 2010 5:35 am

Michael wrote:How difficult is it for you Cannies to buy a parrot from a US shop or breeder and either have it shipped there or come to pick it up? The fact that we have more available probably drives the prices to be much more reasonable. :)

It would probably prove to be rather difficult.

Bringing your parrots with you when you move is already a whole lot of red tape, I can only imagine what people would say when they figure out that you are trying to buy a bird you could most likely get here (at a higher price) from the States.

And to add that the baby bird would have to go through quarantine when coming in...it's probably too much hassle for what it's worth. Now, if I moved out of the country I would everything I could to bring my birds with me, specially if it's for a good length of time, but I wouldn't bother trying to buy a bird and have it shipped crossed border.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Jholt11 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:15 pm

I have two lineolated parakeet's. A green for $120 and a turquoise for $175.
Jholt11
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Brown Headed Parrot
Lineolated parakeet

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:22 am

please note these are new zealand prices which are a weaker dollar so its cheaper in USD

my budgie was $35 i got him from the bird barn

my rainbow lorikeet was from a private person who had 2 babies form her supposed to be 2 males and had then $120 to good homes
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby a.susz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 am

i paid $80 for my senegal, basically just bought the crummy cage he came with from a friend down the street from my grandparents.

Paid $300 (usually $450) for my red belly, and $400 (usually $700) for my bronze wing, both as babies. but these are discounted prices since i work at a bird store.

I should have been able to pay less for my red belly, but my boss at the time was a total jerk off and trying to scam his own employees, i just wanted to get her home and out of the pet store environment.

Same with my bronze wing, he first said $400, then wrote it on paper, we both signed it. I put the whole payment in an envelope and put it in his office, and checked the paper work again, he had gone back in and Scribbled out 400 and put 450... what a moron.

but alas, a better owner now. :D
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Mr.Darcy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:01 am

I looked into buying from the US and shipping to Canada, unfortunately the bird has to be quarantined for 90 days and no one was clear on where that happens.

Bird prices here in BC,are all over the map. I have seen CAG's on pet stores for $2500.00 and from breeders for $350.00 One day online I checked and there were over 28 different ads for CAG for sale in BC.

I paid $1200.00 for my Hahn's and there are no breeders out West in Canada...
Senegals in the pet store are $500.00 but I am sure you can negotiate.
Quakers are $400.00 $500. for blue
Bigger Macaws are $1500.00-2000.00
Sun Conure $800.00 in pet stores....

I am sure the market has dropped on parrots, if the economy is depressed in the US the last thing you are going to buy is a bird for several thousand dollars....One breeder I spoke to in Canada, of Hahns had two babies that were a year old and he was not breeding another clutch until he sold the ones he had. (problem is they were hand fed and tame but overtime I think they have been a little neglected in the handling department) so his hard work is degrading!!
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic