Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Prices

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Bird Prices

Postby greymatter » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:15 am

Oh gosh,

I got Merlin (Congo Grey) in 1999 for $1200 in Ottawa, Stryder (white faced cockatiel) was free as I bred him with my old breeding pair (I sold babies for $125 each handfed); Rosco (Caique) was $800 (breeder sold for $900 usually, but I got the friend discount...I also wouldn't return him after baby-sitting him while she was on vacation :D - he was 5 months old).

As far as the old part of this thread with the $1900 Senegal sale, when I used to sell avians, I'd sell what people needed for their new parrots and find out what their budget was and get them the best that fit within it - really I don't feel people should be getting pets on Credit Cards or going way beyond their means. If the budget didn't meet what we'd consider minimum standards, we'd be honest that it wasn't possible and for them to look at different options or wait for another parrot until they were able to afford what it required.

It was more difficult back in the late 90's & early 2000's to have a great toy and cage selection in-store, but we generally sent home new babies with 5-6 toys for a slight rotation, and had strict minimum cages sizes (at least in the stores I worked in and managed) for quality of life. But there were options for all budgets.

It sounds like a strong seller and a customer who let the seller run the show with that customer - unless she was okay with that in her budget!
"You be good...I love you...see you tomorrow" - Alex the Grey
greymatter
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot, Caique, Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Saerphe » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:03 pm

tattoo wrote:I pd 550.00 from a breeder in n. Virginia. I am always amazed how expensive our local petco ans petsmart stores sell birds for. Does anyone know how they set prices at the large chain stores? It would seem to be pre-set but reading this thread it doesn't seem to be standardized.

I have never seen a Senegal at a pet store anywhere near me. Seem to be hard to find around here.

There's a Senegal for sale at my local PetSmart for $800 CA. And that doesn't include a cage, toys, food, dishes, etc.

I believe my cockatiel Howie was $150 CA. They told my parents that she was a male pearl-pied (I never saw any pied feathers on her, though she could have carried the genes) talking, hand-reared bird. We didn't find out she was actually female until she started laying eggs a year later, and she never spoke a word. :roll:
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby PapayaTheConure » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:33 am

Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure- $299 :gcc:

Papaya- :gcc:
PapayaTheConure
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby laducockatiel » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:54 am

Wow! Very high prices compared to England, but I bet it was worth it! In England here are some of the costs of hand tame birds: budgie - £35, cockatiel - £60, Senegal parrot 80 to £100, cape parrot - £180 etc.
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby liz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 pm

:amazon: Rambo was a free rehome
:amazon2: Myrtle was a rescue with cage $300
:greycockatiel: Shadow was $15
:pied: Sweetie was free
:pied: Lemone' was $15 :
:greycockatiel: Twinkle was a trade
:greycockatiel: Tommy is Rachel's
:greycockatiel: Tammy is Rachel's
:swaying: :swaying: rescue by Rachel
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby parrotsareyay » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:37 pm

well i was suckered for a poor lookin senegal parrot who was traded as a way too unsocialized bird for a novice like me at a bird pet store so the owner could get another bird :o (meany! :evil: :evil: :evil: :mad: :mad: :evil: ) and when i bought him, i got a special sale of four hundred dollars! he was five hundred. This price was alright, but other birds were expensive. 26 for a budgie, 400 for a sun conure 1200 for a grey.
parrotsareyay
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic