Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Prices

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Bird Prices

Postby Giantmoa » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:33 pm

rainbow cost about 350. since she is a color mutation she was about 100$ more than the regular colored gcc they also had. I fell in love with rainbow's personality opposed to the other gcc so I didn't mind the extra money...
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby Shani » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:12 am

In Aus (Victoria anyway) - hand raided Rainbow Lories run in the $200 range. Cockatiels (handraised) anywhere between $80 - $150 depending on the mutation.

A hand raised African Grey from a reputable breeder is between $6000 - $8000 here, depending where you go (no, I'm not kidding). Galahs are about $300 - $500 hand raised, and macaws - you're looking at minimum $10k, more for blue and yellow macaws (some go upwards of $20k). There may be cheaper ones around, but they're honestly very hard to come by.

I think they're very expensive in Aus due to... actually, I dunno. It certainly makes owning say - an african grey a very, very, very costly undertaking. A lot of parrot lovers in Aus have the African Grey as the bird on their "ultimate bird" wishlist, just because they're so hard to come by. On the plus side - a lot of our native parrots - rosellas, princess parrots, king parrots, neophemas, cockatoos etc are quite a bit more accessible here than I imagine they would be for you guys.
Shani
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:09 am

I'm in Vic, Aus, and from the looks of things our birds cost a lot more than yours!
Mali(Hand-reared) was $90(Breeder)
Speckle(Aviary Bred) was $30(Shop)
Ella(Hand-reared) was $170(Shop)
Prince(Hand-reared) was $300(Breeder)
Timmy(Aviary Bred) was $300(Shop)
Cheeky(Hand-reared) was $300(Shop)
And Birdie was free! A friend found her in the wild being chased by Galah's, and Birdie climbed up their leg to get away from them. Guessing she was hand-reared and escaped.

And we're waiting on a baby GCC that'll cost about $100 from a Breeder, we were kicking ourselves that we didn't get our first GCC from a Breeder
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby Shani » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:33 am

I'm in Vic, Aus, and from the looks of things our birds cost a lot more than yours!

Oh cool! :D Glad to see I'm not the only one.

And Birdie was free! A friend found her in the wild being chased by Galah's, and Birdie climbed up their leg to get away from them. Guessing she was hand-reared and escaped.

That's adorable - good on you for rescuing her.
Shani
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:17 pm

I wouldn't call it rescuing, we'd just lost our old Tiel, and she was offered to me, she just fitted into our house perfectly :) Far more human than bird, and decided we were her personal slaves to carry her to wherever she wanted to go.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby footfoot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:12 pm

$175 with a cage for my 3 y/o Senegal from Craigslist (always something there). The place I got him from let the bird have free run of the house. Funny thing, the guy who was selling him would never touch him even to put him in the little carrier thing they gave me. I actually put him in. Didn't notice until we were ready to leave as he wouldn't even pet it to say goodbye. Seems the Senegal had kind of taken over and the family stayed clear of him. I could tell as he was very difficult the first couple of weeks. He's 10x better now.
Senegal-age 3
footfoot
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal- 2 years old.
Flight: No

Postby Brittanyv326 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:23 pm

My Senegal was $350 from a bird store who is supplied by reputable breeders. I actually got to meet people who have Senegals from the same parents :) Check out her site if you want, Sadie is still on there as "SOLD" even though I got her in May: its4thebirds.net

I'm in love with the black headed Caique she has right now, he's adorable and he's going for $850!!! She said it's because the breeder has only gotten a few babies in the 13 years they've had them!

I guess I was pretty lucky in finding Sadie at that price. Especially since she came to me totally tame and sweet, quiet and healthy, couldn't have asked for a better bird.

:senegal:
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby kaylayuh » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:20 am

My budgies were $21.00 each at a local PetCo.

My rescue GCC (he should be here within 15 minutes!!) is $100 to cover vet expenses that were incurred. He was found last summer in someone's backyard and they couldn't find the owner, so now he is mine. :)

I called breeders and pet shops to find out how much my next bird would be if I were to deal with one of them. The local PetCo has cockatiels for $69.99, a local breeder charges between $89.99 and $109.99 depending on the mutation. At PETsMART, the Green Cheek Conure was $450. At the breeder, they were $350. The breeder also had parrotlets for $150. A local small petshop has budgies for $25 each, or $31 for two.

I'm in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Sarah&Rico » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Rico :senegal: was $300, got him off Kijiji, and he was 3 years old..I'm his 3rd and FINAL owner. The people rehoming him also had a b&g macaw that they'd had for about 6 months. Rico and the macaw didn't get along so they decided to rehome Rico. He came with a couple of nasty toys, some "Great Value" walmart brand bird seed and a cockatiel starter size cage.
I tossed the cheapo seed and the nasty toys, sold the tiel cage on kijiji to a tiel owner since I had gotten a large, nice cage, and got Rico a bunch of great toys. Despite the small cage and bad diet, it seems Rico was at least loved and not abused in his previous homes. It took him a while to warm up to us, but now that he has he's a real sweet heart. He's been with us for about 4 months and he's wonderful! I'm so glad I found him. :senegal:
Sarah&Rico
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby felix11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:45 am

My pineapple green cheek cost $350, and she was a birthday present from my boyfriend's family. I bought her at a parrot fair/expo thing direct from the breeder. He was selling two male pineapples for $500 each (because only the males can pass down the pineapple mutation to their offspring, I suppose) Normal green cheeks were going for around $150. They had one very sweet, tempting little senegal by herself, too - the only one at the fair - but she was over $1000, so well out of my budget.
Felix
felix11
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Bellied Conure
Superb Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic