Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Prices

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Bird Prices

Postby MissLady9902 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, how much did your parrots cost and did you get them from a breeder or a pet store.
If your bird was re-homed what is their story?

My Senegal Noodle :senegal: was $500 and I bought him from a pet store here in Columbia, Mo.
My CAG Marvin :gray: was 1,000 and I bought him from a bird store in St. Louis that gets them from local breeders.
My budgies :budgie: were around $15 and I bought them from a bin-o-budgies at Petco.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Re: Bird Prices

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Wow, here in New York, everything is marked up from what you said. I think Senegals run $600, Grays $1200, and Budgies $15-$25 depending where you get them. If you think about it though, $15 for a budgie is absolutely insane. I cannot imagine how they could cost so little but then again they mass produce them practically like on a farm and don't really give them any care. But still, between transportation, feed, and retail markup, they are insanely cheap. I understand that they make it that way to sucker people into the purchase and then make all their money on the accessories but still it's quite cheap for a live bird like that with so much potential. :budgie:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:52 am

New York has a mark-up? Here, Senegals in pet stores run from anywhere between $700 and $900 CA.
That's a mark-up. Breeders normally sell them between $450 and $600 (on average, it's $500).

Anyways what I paid for mine:

Piper was "free". She had a splayed leg and the breeder did not feel comfortable selling her since she did have a disability (which does NOT stop her from doing anything...she is one of the fastest running lovebirds I have ever seen) so she gave her away. By the way, it was Piper who chose me, not the other way around ;)

Shade I did not pay for either since she was a graduation gift from my parents. I was going to get any Poicephalus once I graduated, whatever came my way first from a breeder I found was ok, but my mom decided to beat me to it and when she found Shade's clutch being sold, she told me about it and voila...the fact that poor baby Shade and her brother Nemo had issues with their legs and that if I took Shade they were throwing Nemo in for "free" (not so free when you consider the vet expenses we had for him) kinda suckered me in (as well as my mom). Not what I had in mind for a "reputable breeder" and they were being sold at a month old but since Piper's breeder had volunteered to finish weaning them, we took them. I mean, I'm not sure what would have happened to them, I doubt anyone would have really gone through the trouble we went through (sooo many vet visits). And if I had only taken Shade (who did have a broken leg, but I didn't know what it was at the time), I don't even want to imagine what would have happened to poor Nemo (both his legs went backwards and he couldn't really move)..the guy was certainly NOT going to bring him to the vet. I think my parents paid $250 for the both of them, which was "cheap" but if you consider the vet bills to get them better, they definitively came out more expensive. Oh and we did not know about them being injured until we got there...

Joey I paid $550 for him. He was two almost three and this also included his cage (which retails for A LOT new), his travel cage, all his toys (and there were a lot of them), his food, his cage cover (which looked custom made), and the containers his food was in (one being an actual Tupperware container).

Petey and Zuri were free from the rescue. They didn't come with cages (which I had before getting each bird actually) but the people who run that rescue will often charge people for a cage if the bird needs one (aka don't have one) and they do make sure the birds will have a proper sized and quality cage.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Kathleen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:46 am

Duke was $25. There was already a cage and accessories for him. A few other things were bought for him, like a small travel carrier which I think was only $10, and a few toys, but he's not a major expense.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby MandyG » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:28 pm

My yellow crowned amazon was $1,500. The breeder supplied the travel carrier and paid for his flight. :amazon:
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Batman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:20 pm

My black headed caique was $600, I bought it from a previous owner. Caiques run any where 500 to 1,500. Black headed caiques usually costs $500 to 700 from a local breeder and at petco for $1,100 that's where we got Lori my mom's black headed caique. White bellied CAIQUES run from 600 to 800 from a local breed and I saw one at petco for 1,500.
Batman
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Black headed caique

Postby shantee4 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:26 am

I was in a Petco last week in Jackson TN. They had a baby Sun Conure for $599. All of my parrots were given to me by co-workers and patients because the owners could no longer care for them. There are alot of issues when you get a preowned bird...but they are well worth it and I would give up any of them...I am so glad I took them all in!! :amazon:
shantee4
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Congo African Grey, Sun Conure, Moustached Parakeet, Umbrella Cockatoo

Postby kimbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:49 pm

chico was a shop bought parrot that breeds them. he came with everything it all came to 384gbp :senegal: . bought a bigger cage later. he on his own was 200gbp.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal

Postby miajag » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:40 pm

I was lucky to find a young, healthy Quaker that I was able to adopt free of charge, because the woman who owned her had to get rid of her because her children were allergic.

I was at the local pet store tonight and they have a young African Grey they're asking $2,000 for (marked down from $2,600)! This is in Maryland, not some exotic locale. The sad part is, they almost certainly will sell the bird to some naive person who walks in and doesn't realize they can get the same bird from a breeder for less than half the price (and if they're that naive, they probably don't know how to properly care for a parrot either). Either that or nobody will want to buy it at that price and it will sit in its little cage in the store forever. Oddly the other birds at this store seem to be reasonably priced. They have a Military Macaw for sale for $800 which I think is pretty cheap (?) I think that bird might be older, though. They also have several Amazons in the $600-$800 range. Conures are about $400, cockatiels are about $100, lovebirds $80, budgies $20.
miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby tacotaco » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:46 pm

my nanday was 350$ (best 350 i ever spent :) )
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Next

Return to General & Off Topic