Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:08 am

Yes I certainly do believe that. Also, any sanctuary or rescue charges that or more than that. Grey Haven has stepped up to the plate and provided so much for these parrtos that they only deserve either praise or a helping hand and not disparaging comments in a group. Its much better to contact them with helpfull suggestions or give donations to them.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby Rmoses » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:34 am

seagoatdeb wrote:Yes I certainly do believe that. Also, any sanctuary or rescue charges that or more than that. Grey Haven has stepped up to the plate and provided so much for these parrtos that they only deserve either praise or a helping hand and not disparaging comments in a group. Its much better to contact them with helpfull suggestions or give donations to them.

I'm with Pajarita on this one. Poachers are criticized for taking birds out of the wild only to make money. Flippers are criticized for fast turn around of birds to make money. Breeders are criticized for breeding birds to make money. So, the way I see it, a rescue that charges a big price to adopt a bird is in the same category as the above money makers. I know, you'll say that you do it for the bird, but really do you, or do you do it to make you feel good and make a lot of money on the side.
seagoatdeb you are correct about not making disparaging comments in a group but did you not just do the same to Pajarita. It's all part of expressing opinions, as a forum reader, I want your opinion and Pajarita's opinion so that I can form my own.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:14 am

seagoatdeb wrote:Yes I certainly do believe that. Also, any sanctuary or rescue charges that or more than that. Grey Haven has stepped up to the plate and provided so much for these parrtos that they only deserve either praise or a helping hand and not disparaging comments in a group. Its much better to contact them with helpfull suggestions or give donations to them.

I have donated to them and I have sent them emails but I have never gotten a single reply to any of them -not that I blame them for that because I know how hard it is to do when you have your hands full taking care of animals or fundraising. I was just giving my opinion, Seagoatdeb, based on my own personal experience as a rescuer and what I consider a priority in caring for birds. I don't begrudge rescues charging a nominal adoption fee but, when it comes to the rescued animals welfare, I don't think that every single rule or custom should be absolutely invariable. I think that decisions should be made on a case by case basis. And, you might be surprised to find out that not all rescues charge all the time. I have gotten birds from rescues for free (and not because I asked them, mind you!, they contacted me and asked me to take them in) and Waggin' Tails would adopt out dogs for free if they felt that the home was perfect for the animal but could not afford the usual adoption fee - sheesh! they would even pay for the dog's medical needs for the rest of the animal's life and, in two cases where there new owners were handicapped, we even drove the dogs to and from for vets appointments and grooming!

The way I see it, with the huge number of rescues they have, the birds would be much better off in good homes, even if these good homes only donated a bit of money instead of establishing a certain price tag on them. Just my own personal opinion...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Rmoses wrote:

I'm with Pajarita on this one. Poachers are criticized for taking birds out of the wild only to make money. Flippers are criticized for fast turn around of birds to make money. Breeders are criticized for breeding birds to make money. So, the way I see it, a rescue that charges a big price to adopt a bird is in the same category as the above money makers. I know, you'll say that you do it for the bird, but really do you, or do you do it to make you feel good and make a lot of money on the side.
seagoatdeb you are correct about not making disparaging comments in a group but did you not just do the same to Pajarita. It's all part of expressing opinions, as a forum reader, I want your opinion and Pajarita's opinion so that I can form my own.
Rick

I really dont understand where you are coming from on this and who is charging a high price? Are you even talking about Grey Haven? I dont think you are with Pajarita on this she never said anything about this rescue trying to make money on the side and I dont think she ever would. She has run rescues and has some understanding about what this rescue was facing in helping with this crisis.

Also I did not mention Pajarita by name, my coment was simply to say that when a group at much time, energy and personal cost, goes out of their way to help with another situation in a different city it is better to help them or make coments directly to them to help. Posts in groups that let people know about this siituation so they can lend a hand are the most beneficial. I have provided links so people can send them helpfull suggestions, or donations or whatever they want.

I really think that $500 Canadian ($375 US) is a very low price and the price that went in to rescuing, vetting and transporting off an Island is astronomically higher than that for each parrot, so no one is making money flipping. In fact Grey Haven has had to put off their own needs, moving to a bigger location to help a crisis situation in another city.

Any prices I have seen for parrots at Sanctuarys in Canada are at least that price or much more. If your US Sanctuarys charge less than $375 US which is the US equivalent of what they charge here, then to me that is a very low price for a parrot and I have no experience with American pricing, so if either of you think that is a high charge, it is not a high charge in Canada.

I think Grey Haven are wonderfull for what they have done here. They are from Vancouver, and rely on donations and needed to move into a biger place when this happened. They travelled by ferry to Coombs and worked very hard to help in this situation and they did not have to. They had to vet and transport a lot of parrots to locations all over Vancouver for vetting and quarantine. It is easy to point a finger and say they could be doing this better and that better, but I do not see what that helps. When somone steps up to he plate and donates their time and energy and has to travel to do it,it maybe not heroic, but it is darn close to that. Thats my take on it anyway. They are slowly adopting them out as they become healthy enough. I moved to Kelowna from Victoria on Vancouver island, and I had seen the parrots in Coombs many times and I also know of and have been to the very reputable Grey Haven and no one has ever accused them of trying to make money on parrots.

But if you are suggesting that Grey Haven is making money on the side, I would like to see some evidence before you make an accusation like that in a public forum.
Last edited by seagoatdeb on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Pajarita wrote:

I have donated to them and I have sent them emails but I have never gotten a single reply to any of them -not that I blame them for that because I know how hard it is to do when you have your hands full taking care of animals or fundraising. I was just giving my opinion, Seagoatdeb, based on my own personal experience as a rescuer and what I consider a priority in caring for birds. I don't begrudge rescues charging a nominal adoption fee but, when it comes to the rescued animals welfare, I don't think that every single rule or custom should be absolutely invariable. I think that decisions should be made on a case by case basis. And, you might be surprised to find out that not all rescues charge all the time. I have gotten birds from rescues for free (and not because I asked them, mind you!, they contacted me and asked me to take them in) and Waggin' Tails would adopt out dogs for free if they felt that the home was perfect for the animal but could not afford the usual adoption fee - sheesh! they would even pay for the dog's medical needs for the rest of the animal's life and, in two cases where there new owners were handicapped, we even drove the dogs to and from for vets appointments and grooming!

The way I see it, with the huge number of rescues they have, the birds would be much better off in good homes, even if these good homes only donated a bit of money instead of establishing a certain price tag on them. Just my own personal opinion...

I am pretty sure the climate in Canada is much different than in the US. We do not have anywhere close to the amount of Parrots in Sanctuarys as you have. They should have no problem adopting them all out slowly as they are healthy enough at such a low fee. At this point I think some are still being vetted and that is what holding up adoptions and not anything to do with fees. I am also very sure that if the adopting was to slow then they woud lower the fee. Right now they cant even house them all at one Santuary, need to quarantine many, and many people are helping to temporarily house some. They have been short helpers all along. That may be why they havent returned your message.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Here is the link to the newest update on the Grey Haven website in regards to the Parrot Refuge. In this they state that adoptions are moving along well, so the price they are charging doesnt seem to be a problem. Their biggest problem is the expenses that keep mounting. They also have a downloadable poster if anyone wants to put one up in their community.

http://greyhaven.bc.ca/update
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:38 pm

A letter from somebody in Greyhaven criticizing the SPCA poor performance.

http://www.canada.com/opinion/letters/l ... story.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:49 pm

The Spca's in BC do not keep parrots usually, and I dont even think they are any kind of experts on them thats for sure. At least they did give their old Nanaimo location to care for many parrots very cheaply.

Last I heard Grey Haven had been able to move some parrots to a Sanctuary in Alberta to help adopt them faster. If I lived closer, I would be volunteering there, it just breaks my heart that these poor parrtos have had to suffer so much.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 31, 2017 10:31 am

They are still parrots that need homes and the rescues still need money for their vet expenses.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... uver-homes
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:36 am

They still have an inordinately large number of birds that need to be adopted but it's truly heartwarming to see how well the birds are now and to read the happy stories they share. There is one line here that made me LOVE these people: “The first rule is, the birds are smarter than you are. If you accept you’re the lesser species here, you’re on your way.” As the young people were saying a few years ago: "WORD!" :lol:

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... h-to-roost
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic