Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 29, 2016 9:21 am

There might be a rescue out there that is ran like that but I've never known of a single one. They are all treading like crazy trying to keep their head above water so they don't drown... it's a HUGELY stressful thing running a rescue!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:31 am

I hear you, and am fully aware that most if not all of them are not run in a businesslike manner, but they are still a business. Even if they do not wish to be considered to be a business they are still considered to be a legal entity much like a person and they still need to plan for their future. They are different than any human person in the fact that they do not have to die and because of this they do need to plan financially for their continued functioning in the event of the death of various members of its controlling body, one could consider it as similar to estate planning and since it does involve the lives of so many other creatures, some of which will outlive any of the founders, This should be taken into consideration.

These are things that need to be looked at and taken care of, they are apparently not the way that it is done at present.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:29 am

No, it's not been done like this at the present but I don't think it's because they don't care or don't know. I am sure they would all love to have a good 'business' plan and stick to it but it doesn't seem to happen that way and I think it's because of the nature of the beast (rescue animals usually requiring huge medical expenses). The only ones that have had staying power are the ones that require a huge donation per each bird they take (and I am talking thousands of dollars, mind you!) or the ones that are funded by wealthy individuals or entities -but even those might eventually 'die'...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:00 am

Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:46 am

Well, it seems that now the rush is in finding placements for all these birds - but there are soooo many...

http://www.cheknews.ca/rush-find-homes- ... ge-182721/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:48 pm

Wolf wrote:The bottom line is still the bottom line, it is what is done with that bottom line that defines a not for profit vs, a for profit corporation. The rest is the same. There must be a profit to be able to cover the expenses as well as to provide for expansion or other growth that is needed to provide for these birds.

Wolf it is really hard for a rescue, to make a profit, they are full to capacity, depend on volanteers a lot, and Governments dont sponsor them. I cant think of a plan that would have them making profit, or I would be running one now.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:53 am

More news on Coombs (apparently, there are close to 600 birds there and not 450).

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... -1.2271089
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:30 pm

The had more than that some have gone missing. It is very confusing
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:23 pm

I am very aware of the difficulties involved and it affects all shelters, sanctuaries and rescues, and it is very difficult to make enough to even break even, but these things still have to be addressed in one way or another. sometimes it is through creative financing, sometimes it is a matter of advertising and public relations and sometimes it seems that nothing helps, but it is still a major consideration. If I had enough of the answers I would open one myself on the 6 acres that I have.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:52 am

Wolf wrote:I am very aware of the difficulties involved and it affects all shelters, sanctuaries and rescues, and it is very difficult to make enough to even break even, but these things still have to be addressed in one way or another. sometimes it is through creative financing, sometimes it is a matter of advertising and public relations and sometimes it seems that nothing helps, but it is still a major consideration. If I had enough of the answers I would open one myself on the 6 acres that I have.

i think it may be that education, and more people starting to have a respect for animals that could start to make some changes, so these beings can have better lives. i find it so sad this has happened in more ways than one. I remember going to Coombs for the first time and seeing the goats on the top of the roof of the Country Market. The Parrot Sanctuary was another special place. it really hits me hard.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic