Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:36 pm

I can update you. You already know about the ones at Grey Haven. so i can add that they still have half left of what they had at the SPCA in Nanaimo, and Namaimo has agreed to extend the cheap lease they gave them to give them more time.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:59 am

Yes, I know about the extension of the lease at the Nanaimo SPCA but that was for the remaining 52 birds that Greyhaven hasn't adopted out yet. I want to find out about the other birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:50 pm

They are at Grey Havens in vancouver, and they are still adopting them out Canada wide
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:57 am

All 500 of them?! Haven't they adopted out some of them? And where, exactly, are they? Do you know? Because no rescue can take in 500 birds just like that - where would they put them? You need huge infrastructure! I went to their site and there is absolutely nothing whatsoever there - just a few pages with pictures of birds for adoption.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby dragonlady2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:16 pm

I believe, as well as some of the birds being moved to the Nanaimo (sp) site, many birds were also fostered out. There were also a number of them kept at the vets for extended care due to their condition. Many of the birds are already adopted out and some have been transferred cross country to Eastern Canada to other shelters.
dragonlady2
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, conures, senegal, australian king, plum head, eclectus,Barrabands, parrotlets, canaries

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:11 pm

They are going to be moving the Nanaimo parrots to Vancouver but the lease extension has given them more time. They have been steadily adopting.

Also what Dragonlady 2 says is correct, they have been vetting them, they have had some of them in local places in Vancouver. They had had some help from other Sanctuarys in Canada. They had many medical problems, so they have to vet many before they are even ready for adoption.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Shame there are no 'centralized' news updates on all the birds...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:00 pm

i dont think there will ever be centralized news updates. Grey Haven was over capacity and was looking at raising funds and moving to a better location when this happened. They are stretched to the limit and could use more help.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Then, their not putting anything on their site is a HUGE mistake! I am sure that lots of people who already donated would donate again if they could find some sort of update - people like to know what happened to the animals they donated for...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby dragonlady2 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:40 pm

I think there is a separate "page" somewhere for updates. For the life of me I don't know where it is.
There is an online parrot store that has been fundraising and has raised hundreds of dollars for cages, toys, vet care etc. It is my understanding that there are only 200 birds left that will all be moved to a new place in the Vancouver area. This will allow more exposure to potential adoptees and access to vet care which still continues for many of the birds. It has been a huge undertaking for Greyhaven...many kudos to them for stepping up to the plate.

It looks as if there is a Facebook page specifically for these parrots. WPR Community Support Central.
Last edited by dragonlady2 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragonlady2
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, conures, senegal, australian king, plum head, eclectus,Barrabands, parrotlets, canaries

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic