Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:51 am

There are many considerations, education been one of the first things that comes to mind in the sense that, if people were better educated as to what a pet needs and more responsible about it, there wouldn't be soooooo many homeless animals. But the whole thing goes down to who is making the decisions and that, in a nutshell, is the problem because it's always somebody who simply cannot say 'No' to an animal in need. If they could, they wouldn't have opened up a rescue. And, so, every time the rescue is in fairly good shape financially, an animal shows up that requires something super expensive and there goes the 'good shape'! And there are ALWAYS animals that show up! When I first opened my rescue (which, in reality, was more a sanctuary than a real rescue), I did not advertise it anywhere. The only people who knew about it were either friends, people from my own birdsite or relatives but I still got people contacting me ALL THE TIME from all over the place (I had people coming over from Vermont, Niagara Falls, Maryland and even Florida to deliver their birds - now how can you say 'No' to somebody who has driven hours and hours to bring their bird to you?) and, in a matter of about a bit over a year, I went from a few birds to 240! And this is not my story, mind you, it's every single rescue's story!

And it was the same thing with the dog and cat rescue I belonged to. Everytime we did a big fundraiser and made enough money to catch up with all the bills, something happened and we had to divert part of the money for it or we ended up 'charging' it up to the same vets accounts we had brought down to a manageable level. If it wasn't for the volunteers donating not only time but food, litter, medicines, paint, gravel, kennels, chain-link, bedding, toys, play pens, services, etc. we wouldn't have been able to stay open! It was the volunteers that actually supported the day to day cost of keeping it open - that and donations from two supermarkets (we had bins). The fundraisers were mostly to pay for the vets bills as well as electricity, phone, kerosene for the monitor stoves that heated both buildings and real estate taxes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:45 am

Oh, boy, now it seems that the whole situation had degenerated into hoarding at the end which is VERY common with older people who run rescues after they've been doing it a while. They are asking people to step forward and adopt the parrots http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3637708
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:22 am

And asking and asking for people to please come forward and adopt... If I lived in Canada, I would adopt one of the ones with anxiety issues. I need another needy parrot as I need a hole in the head and not because of the extra work, space or even cost but because I have to spread myself so very thin as it is to give each of mine, at least, a couple of hours of one-on-one on a daily basis but there are sooooo many of them, it breaks my heart... poor, poor things!

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercooler/ ... mediately/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:36 am

By the way, a contact of mine told me that they might allow birds to come into the States, if anybody is interested.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:25 pm

Good News....it keeps them on the island for now and gives more time........http://www.cheknews.ca/temporary-home-f ... bs-191578/
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:01 am

Yes, I saw that (a Canada/US group I belong to has been following this closely) and it's great that now they don't have to rush so much to find them all homes BUT homes are still needed so, if anybody is interested, please apply.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:46 pm

This is the latest news item that I have found in relation to this closure.
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/b ... 2016-06-27

I am really hopeing that enough homes are found.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:27 pm

I hope they find enough homes too. They still dont know how many they can house in the old Nanaimo SPCA buiding. The place the parrots are has huge aviaries where the parrots could fly, so the SPCA will be a frightening change for the parrots, but it gives them time to be adopted. The contacts I have say that they are only looking at adopting them in Canada, and it will be hard to place that many, but if given enough time they may be able to do it and after enough clean bills of health can be provided they can always attempt to get some into the US, but the stress of the extra quarantine would be very hard on the parrots too.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:32 am

In my opinion, the biggest problem is that they can only use the SPCA until 8/1 and that gives them very little time to place so many...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Yeah it means a lot of hard work for the people comitted to helping them. It doesnt help that it is an Island, making it more expensive for those that have to take the ferry to get back to Vancouver.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic