Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:26 am

Another article on the same thing but it has different videos and pictures:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3774841/hund ... ever-nest/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Little by little they are getting adopted out. It does my heart good to see how many stepped up to help in this.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:46 am

Yes... a shame they did not think of sending a large number of them to a rescue in the States, though. I think they would have been able to adopt out more of them faster if they had.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Pajarita wrote:Yes... a shame they did not think of sending a large number of them to a rescue in the States, though. I think they would have been able to adopt out more of them faster if they had.

Yes they would have, but there are a lot of problems with taking parrots to the USA. The isolation period alone is frightening to a parrot. Since the parrots had illnesses too, they may have even been denied. i really dont now if they had thought about it or not though.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:20 am

I don't think there is quarantine required between Canada and USA but, even if there was, I doubt they would feel isolated if there is a large number of them together. But, even if there were, I doubt it would have made that big a difference to them. I mean, a rescue is not a home so it's not as if they were leaving beloved humans or companions behind or staying by themselves... The medical issues would have been a problem but I am sure there were lots of birds that were given the green flag in health within days of their moving them out of Coombs.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 am

They are now being evicted from the locale where they are being kept.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... ouver-home
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 am

They got an extension on the lease but they still have 95 parrots looking for homes... and the poor Moluccan keeps on getting overlooked because of his super-duper loud screams - poor things! they never should have bred them for the pet trade!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/loud-parr ... -1.3822050
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:10 am

Moving the birds to another place - which we all knew was going to have to happen but I was perturbed by the 'now we have windows' comment -meaning, I assume, that the birds have been living without natural light for a looooong time.

http://www.vancourier.com/news/their-va ... 1.23321743
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:23 am

More about the Coombs birds and, there was a sentence here that surprised me because it says that most of them ended up in other rescues or with people that took a number of them together... This is the first time I hear about this.

http://www.journalpioneer.com/news/regi ... st-217184/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic