Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little bird rescues

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Little bird rescues

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:41 pm

Tomorrow the new macaw is comming maybe I can get wolf to post the picture of him i sent . So we can have a before and after reference. Can't wait to make him healthy and happy for the rest of his life. :D next week a bare-eyed cockatoo is comming maybe a play pal for my biggest little brat lumi. :cockatoo: my little 290 gram lessor sulfer crested thinks she's all that ! And honestly she is. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:20 am

Yes, LCS's are the best! Loud and a pain in the neck with the chewing but not as loud as the M2s and not as destructive as the U2s, in my personal opinion and limited experience. I don't have any experience with bare-eyes...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:13 am

Well we're going to find out how the bare-eyed ones are , I've never had one before . I have all my birds except the love of my life Rosie who started all of this. When I couldn't save her it devastated me honestly I just wanted to go with her. Kinda screwed me up for awhile but it put me on a mission and it's a nessesary one , she'd be proud of her mama.✨
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:51 am

Yes, she would! I know I am proud of you for all your wonderful work and kindness toward the more unfortunate ones! Kudos to you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:23 am

Thank you for your kindness, you guys don't even know the magnitude of joy I feel to know there are what I've been called over excessive compulsive and neurotic about my birds people out there just like me. Makes me happy to know I'm not alone. Can't wait to get my hands on that 40 year old dirty birdie macaw that's coming tomorrow and give him a good scrub. Poor baby is greasy , nares inflamed , chewed up feathers , dandruff and dry as a bone. This time I'm going to take really good before and after pictures . I have a few of the Greys that came to me a while back but not very close-up or detailed. They are not even close to the same birds. The woman who brought them to me came over last week and was absolutely shocked and swore it wasn't the same 2 birds until Sammy started making his clicking noises and Delilah told Sammy that's my boy! these 2 recovered and feathered up faster than I've ever had birds do before , usually it's such a long process if you even can stop the destructive behavior. I'm sure this was purely a health and nutritional problem and I took care of that first. Birde bath for the macaw tomorrow I'm soooo excited ! BW :danicing: :macaw:
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:32 pm

Well the new macaw is here and boy what a bunch of messed up crap. ! Why do people lie lie lie . About medical , food fed , size of cage for bird and health. Alls I can say is she thought she took such great care of her bird until she met mine. After I got her to sign a release at the DR's office and reviewed it with the vet , I found out alls she has done for this bird is beak nails and wings. She had an appt. with the vet already schuled and I told her to leave his wings and beak alone. I called the vets office while she was there and ordered full blood panel and gram stain and liver. Paid for it with credit card over phone . She called back and didn't want it done . I told her what test she had run in 2013 weren't good enough to determine length of quarantine. I told her if she didn't let the vet do the test I would have him quarantined for 45 days until it was done. She agreed, thank god!!! The vet was already doing a blood draw for sexing the bird so I don't know what the big whoop was hell I was paying for it... ;) any way 2 of the toenails didn't get done and I asked her why not and low and behold she said he was having a seizure like it was no big deal . And says oh he just does it when he's stressed. OMG what have I gotten myself into? Time to get my butt on the net and study any help would be appreciated. Alls I wanted to do is give the dirty birdie a bath and wash the 40 years of dander and greasiness off of him and make him feel better. Now I'm scared to death to do anything except make loving noises and jestures and treats and keep him calm . Vet won't be in until Monday so I can't talk to him about this and everything she said he told her to tell me is pure garbage cause I know the vet well,well,well,and he would not have said about 90 percent of the garbage comming out of her mouth. I'm starting to think this woman is either a loon or has the beggining of demenca and I'm not kidding. Well slow and easy and I'm going to get to studying I've vented enough ! :violin: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:41 am

If I can take on a plucking, self mutilating African Grey that was having mild seizures while I still knew almost nothing about parrots, This may be more than you expected or bargained for but it is nothing that you can't handle.

As for why people do the things that they do, your guess is as good as mine. Mine is to try and save face.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:15 am

Ask your vet to do an ionized calcium test because he could be having mild seizures from hypocalcemia (they are more common than people know) - also, check for metal (another possible cause).

And, yes, people lie, lie, lie through their teeth when it comes to the care they actually give their animals. It doesn't happen only with birds, it happens with all animals... everybody wants to look good and think they can get away with lying about it.

But it will be OK, Birdwoman. Birds are much more resilient that people give them credit for and it's amazing what a couple of years of good care can do for a bird in bad shape! Thankfully, he ended up in your hands!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Re: Little bird rescue

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:44 pm

It seems to be amazing what one good night spent beside a sick bird will do. Thank you for your encouragement I really needed it. :) I was with matti , Mathew or whatever , we will know in a week or so, all night beside it's cage afraid to do anything to upset him. So I gave him a meloxicam laced banana and when he calmed down I put him to bed with a vaporizes right beside his cage. This morning at about 2:00 am he started breathing a lot easier (.thank god ) I went on to work and got home at 9:00 and was treated with him rubbing his whole head on my arm and puking on me. :roll: I threw his food out that she brought with him it was rancid !! This morning he or she had my version of gloop a whole jalapeño , banana not laced this time :shock: and vitamin water. This is a different bird in less than 24 hrs. We are playing with wooden blocks and throwing paper towel balls at each other. I can see daylight , and yes I do know the honeymoon period and I'm going to take full on advantage of it to introduce healthy food, human interaction, playing and hopefully bath time. The old owners said they had 2 bowls of water in the cage but he kept putting his foot in it and splashing it out so they just took it out. Are people that stupid not to know he wanted a bath!!!!!! 35 years without one. This world is sad. I'll keep everyone updated and need any help on the sinus thing that I can do now until I can towel him and medicate and flush them. Right now I don't want to run the risk of another seizure. Tommarow I'll get the real story from the doc. Seems to me he would have called me when it happened. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:51 am

I think the world is actually a wonderful place... it's humans that make it sad.

I would feed him lots and lots and lots of betacarotene-rich food so he can make enough phlegm to clean the nasal passages on its own. They will require flushing but the beta carotene is not going to act immediately so the sooner you start, the sooner he will get better. I had an amazon (Mami's mate, as a matter of fact) that had one nostril three times bigger than the other from the accumulation of rhinoliths caused by the lack of betacarotene in his diet -he got better, by the way, but later died from liver disease . Aside from that, you are doing everything else I would do (and I am sure you are already doing the betacarotene, too!), namely the bathing and the humidifier.

Let us know what the vet finds in the bloodwork.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic