Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little bird rescues

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Little bird rescues

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:36 am

Yes this is alyha's butt in all its glory, and last night I found out her one true fear in life! { fireworks} had to be to work at 3 am no sleep , the neighbors put on quite a fireworks display 3 times last night . :shock: OMG all the cages had to be moved away from the windows and covered with the darkest heavyist blankets I could find and they live on the next 10 acres .Then I taped big pillows to the small birds windows to buffer the sound. Then I got to play dodge ball with the drunks this morning on a fresh blanket of snow. Home now and me and the fids are going to nap after they eat breakfast :violin: happy quiet New Years everyone! :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Sheesh! You had quite a night, didn't you, my dear? Have a good nap and we will see you later!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:04 pm

ANOTHER GOOD BLOODY NIP BY NIGEL THE TERRIBLE ) I will suck it up and soldier on. :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Have you tried a bitrex based anti chew spray.
I know most dog anti chew sprays contain chilli so useless on parrots.
I did cure OH's TAG of nipping me when I fed them by spraying my hands with this. She certainly thought I tasted disgusting. It only took 2-3 tries before she gave up and left my hands alone..
I sprayed my hands in another room and let them dry slightly before approching Tabu.

Don't forget and try to eat a sandwiche after this without washing you hands. It doesn't improve the flavour. :lol:
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:35 am

Great tip :lol: I don't have enough fingers , arms or face left to spray with chili spray :violin: This little guy must have been through some homes :roll: good thing he landed here cause I always like a good challenge and never give up a good fight. Believe me , Nigel and I will be the best of buds , inseparable , partners for life HE JUST DOESNT KNOW IT YET! :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:41 am

At least one of you have made up his mind about this !! Hope you are having fun. It really is very rewarding when you can break through this type of behavior and bring it to an end.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:20 am

Waiting patiently for the reward part :roll: have to keep up a good since of humor with this one while tending to the rest of the broken birdies. Mathew had a seizure at 2:00 am , very mild then another at 5:30 both were very mild and honestly acted more like night frights. Hell of a great way to get me to cuddle him for hours as I do when it happens. I needed to groom the tubes off his new feathers anyway .(learning to make good use of my time) . He's eating this morning like the piggy he is ,acting like nothing happened. Well we're all snowed in today , even the hired help can't make it so we're all flying solo today , ( unlike the Rickey bird ) I don't tolerate( FUI ) in my boarding house :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:35 am

I have found that aggression elimination in all kinds of companion animals is just a matter of time, patience and love. It takes a long time because you have to 'untrain' the bad behavior before you can start 'training' them to accept certain things like touch, etc but it happens. I am now 'working' on the yorkie mix (Havashire) that I found on the streets. He appears to have 'fixated' on me for love although he still shows his teeth and growls when I try to approach him with something in my hands but we are making progress - very slow but progress nonetheless (he still bites my husband though). We decided not to send him to a rescue because the poor thing has real serious trust issues with people and I think he must have been passed from one rescue to a home to another rescue to another home for a while as well as mishandled by a number of people so sending him to a shelter is out of the question as he would NEVER get better in one (he goes NUTS when you lock him away from where the people are), and there aren't that many foster homes that would take a dog that is aggressive to both people and other dogs (he doesn't do it all the time, only when he gets overly excited, but he is beginning to obey my "STOP IT!!").

I once fostered a dog like him. His name was Lucca and he was a cream colored Peke/Pomeranian mix that was going to be put down by another rescue for aggression so one of the volunteers took him for herself but couldn't handle him so she called us and, because I kind of specialized in special needs and aggressive dogs, he ended up fostered by me. He was blind in one eye but he was a beautiful little boy! When he came to me, nobody could touch him but, after months of working with him (you couldn't approach him on his blind side and had to talk to him prior attempting touch), he turned into a wonderful little dog so we adopted him out and he was returned two months later because he was biting again. I took him back and he was perfectly fine in my house so we found him a home with a lady who claimed to have experience with aggressive dogs and this time he lasted four months and, by then, he had developed food aggression as well (sigh). But, again, he had no issues whatsoever in my house so we kept him. And Augie appears to be going in the same direction... I think there are animals that having had their trust in humans betrayed over and over by different people, they do relearn to trust but they only do it with the one or two people that did the 'work' and won't give anybody else the chance... but we will see what happens with both Augie AND Nigel.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Good luck and I know you will win out :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Well it's sexy season for the too's and I seem to be making big strides with Nigel . Although he follows Riki around like a love sick puppy he is acutely starting to bond to me. Other than his foot /shoe biting fettish ,things are getting along nicely. I have found that letting him sit in my lap and actually eating with him is really what's making the difference with him. I'm also offering my finger instead of my arm when he steps up and starting to gently clamp his toes with the other finger so no more face biting incidences , and he hasn't minded so far but I'm sure it's coming . :roll: I've been working with Mathew the macaw a lot more lately as I thought he was going to be rehomed but have decided against it. I had northwest bird rescue contact me and EBR rescue and these facility's are inadequate to tend to his special needs. I did not contact them the previous owner of Mathew did when I told her about the Mathew and Huey problem and that I hadn't decided what I was going to do about it. I guess she felt she needed to step in.what ever :roll: she lied to both places just like I had been lied to and told them he was in perfect health and never had any illnesses in his life. Anyway I finally had to get pretty pointed with her and bring her out of this 35 year la la land she's been in about the care she provided for this bird and put her straight. Both facility's were pretty shocked to know the truth about Mathew and that he has been under my care for 7 months and all his paperwork had been signed over to me. I know she loves this bird and just didn't know how to properly care for him but I had no choice than to put her straight as she would defiantly put Mathew in danger with her inability to tell about his medical needs. Oh well just another day!! I feel better griping about it now :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic