Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little bird rescues

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Little bird rescues

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Today I toweled the new macaw and clipped the last two nails the vet didn't get due to the seizures he /she was having. I was real gentle and I'm sure my nervousness was showing a bit, but no problems with seizures ( thank god) ! The only problem now is my terribly painful arm . I've never dealt with any bird that wants to regurgitate on any thing and everything that has to do with me, my shoes included when he's on the floor. He even does it on the toys we've played with. I put the bird away when it starts but it's really out of control . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also the bird is really loving but he needs to be taught to be gentle he is so rough with my arm and hands and pinches me a lot. I need help in that department too ,I'm tired of getting the rough beak treatment. Maybe all macaws are Bruts ? It's day three with the bird and 3 showers and loving it. The birdies nose is looking a lot better but this is going to take some time to clear up. The green veggies beet tops and oranges I've been offering don't seem to interest the bird. I have Harrison's and supreme and replaced the rancid seeds and so far so good. Also vitamins in water until I can get him eating right. The vaporizer is going 24/ 7 and seems to help. I think as soon as he sees the other birds eating good stuff it will be easier to get him to try healthy food. Well thanks for the help and encouragement. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:26 am

I bet the poor thing has been kept at a human light schedule all his life and his gonads are the size of cantaloupes by now - thus the constant regurgitating! It will get better as the days get shorter, macaws are not really hormonal birds and their endocrine system appears to be easier to nudge in the right direction (at least, that was my experience with the two that I had temporarily until they were rehabilitated and rehomed).

I would not feed him beet tops, they have A LOT of oxalic acid. See these:

http://www.feedipedia.org/node/709

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400344/A ... -Acid.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:26 pm

This bird is a real trip, hope my arm last long enough to teach him not to chew on it. I'm going to move him into a quieter room tomorrow to see if I can get a handle on the hormones. He's starting to except the fresh veggies and fruit now a little at a time. His sinuses are making a major improvement but a long way to go. Teaching him to be gentle is going pretty slow.( any sudjestions would be appreciated. Max my little quacker has learned to lay in my hand today and hold his nose with his foot , it's so cute. When I first got him I would tell him he was stinky and I'd hold my nose and then give him a bath and now he's doing it when I tell him it's bath time. Loomey my LSC really has fun with max and they play for hours in the big avairy. Everyone has turned into an acrobat so we got a hole bunch of new toys for outside. The macaw is a one bird demolition crew , I don't think he ever played with toys .( so sad ) but now he has everything he wants and plays with everything I give him and excepts new things with absolutely no fear. Just found out the bare eyed will be comming this week so I'm going to be pretty busy trying to get all the gang settled. Here goes the neighborhood again. LOL BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Uuuuuuh, you are REALLY gonna have your hands full with two new ones!

No news from the vet on the blood work yet?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:42 pm

No but I'm going to call him tomorrow. I just rearranged cages and gave Lilly a freshly sanitized cage that belongs to the macaw and filled it with all her toys and some new ones , put in her spot and she loves it. Silly girl , she has a huge stainless macaw cage but I need it for the new one , I refuse to put him back in the smaller one. Moved the new bird to a quieter room so I can see if I can get a handle on these hormones. Right now he's outside in the big avairy out front and seems to really be enjoying himself. Still working on that nose , this is going to be a leangthy process , just like the vegie thing. :roll: wish me luck and I still would like some advise on teaching the macaw gentle as a-posed to chewing on me. Thanks BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:30 am

It wasn't that I was ignoring the request, Birdwoman, it's that I doubt I can tell you anything you don't already know! In my personal experience, the only thing that works is make sure they are not overly hormonal (which you are already working on), keeping them at schedules with set routines (which I am sure you already do because it's the only way your sanity and home can survive with all those birds) and plain old persistence telling him to be gentle and walking away for a few minutes when he doesn't listen and keeps at it. If they hold on too hard to me with their beak, I just gently tap the top beak with my finger and say "Gently, gently..." in a very soft voice and, when they become distracted by my action and words and kind of let go of the hard pressure, I praise them with a "Good bird" - and I just keep on doing it every time until they learn. I really do not know any other way...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:22 am

Same here, I could not think of anything that I thought you were not already doing.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks pajarita and wolf, I think I was looking for aframation to what I was doing. This morning at about 5:30 the macaw started screaming bloody murder and I went into the room and he was on the bottom of the cage hanging onto the side bars . Almost seemed like ke was dazed , so I picked him up and cuddled him till he settled down. This was the first night in a private quiet room in a much larger cage but it was already getting daylight so I couldn't say it was night fright. I don't know what to think , when I talk to the vet I'll see if he might know. And yes my hands are very full right now , TO FULL) this whole thing with his condition , new home and different way of doing things I'm sure is very stressful on him. That woman that had him for 35 yrs. should have been the one to undo the damages that has been done over the years. She stays in contact and wants to see him but the vet and I both told her it's too confusing for the bird so best to stay away. A perfect situation would be to get this bird in as good of health as I can and for her and I to find somebody that has experience with large birds and guide them to providing everything he needs. She is in such denial over the care she has provided right down to the cage she provided for him. She did provide vet care but every thing he told her and every bit of medication he perscribed fell on deaf ears. I guess ignorance is bliss. :roll: I really need to stick to my toos but probably like most of us I can't turn any animal away that needs help. I guess some of us were put here for a reason and this must be mine. :thumbsup: BW
Last edited by Bird woman on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:58 am

Well, he might have woken up and finding himself in a strange place for a second time in a short period of time, it could have been a bit too much for him. There have been so many changes for him and, usually, although they do like the changes, they will, sometimes, miss the bad conditions as they are what they are used to and don't know it's for their own good, the poor things...

Keep her away from him at all costs! I never allow any previous owner to visit for, at least, an entire year (and most of them lose interest by then so I hardly ever get a request after this period). It is too confusing for the bird and all it brings them is heartbreak.

I would not argue too much with her, just do your thing and tell her only if she asks. I am sure she is in denial but, then, most parrot owners are in terms of the care they give their birds. Some more than others.. I knew a lady who had a self-mutilating caique. She had raised the bird from a baby so there was no way this problem was caused by anything else than what she did or did not do but she insisted that her husbandry was perfect (her favorite expression when anybody gave her advice was to answer with a curt: "Been there, done that") and that the bird was psychotic -as if the bird had a chemical imbalance in the brain (her avian vet did not help matters by medicating the bird with anti-anxiety medicines and tranquilizers). She was in such denial that she chose to put the bird down instead of rehoming it "because the bird loved her so much that she would suffer terribly if she was rehomed". And she decided this right after she bought another caique baby!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:23 pm

Boy and I thought I'd seen it all :oops: :cry: people like that have no business having animals of any kind. That's a pretty heart breaking story. I'm kind of tired of coddling this woman and kinda got a little more matter of fact with her today. The bird had a great day and so did my arm, we just mowed the lawn so I thought I'd try him again on it. Last time it scared the poor thing to death don't think he'd ever been on one before ,but the grass was a little long the. First time .This time you would have thought he was an airplane trying to take off . I can't wait to teach him to fly. Well that was enough exercise, he gets to breathing a little hard so I don't push. [ a little a day will keep the doctor away] he seems to be backing off the puke thing a little better now , I just hope he doesn't spaz out like this morning. The woman says he's done it every few months. It could either be learned behavior to get some major cuddling or truly a seizure or night fright ????? I'll get it figured out . Thanks again :thumbsup: PS tell me about your too's and there personalities I need some cute stories. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic