Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little bird rescues

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Little bird rescues

Postby Bird woman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 pm

A couple of employees have offered to volunteer and I'm going to take them up on it. I pm'd Liz I sure hope she's out of the danger zone! I'm pretty concerned for her family. Do you know anything? :shock:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:44 am

I am okay. If Good Day Tampa Bay is right it will be down to category 1 by the time it gets to me. That is just a little more than a Tropical Storm and I have been through a few of them so it won't be too bad.
I received a notice on my cell to evacuate but that is impossible for me.

I wish we could ship all the water to the NW and stop the fires. They are terrifying.

Thank you for your concern.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 am

Thank goodness you will be OK, Liz! But ask your son and/or daughter to dig the trench around the barn you had to do the last time there was a lot of rain, remember? And get some sandbags and extra supplies, just in case.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi all , hope everyone is doing well. Lots to get caught on it's been very busy , and very successful last 6 months. All operations this year were successful except YaYa'S wing didn't get the results I was hoping for but she seems to be pain free so that's okay by me. I will talk more tomorrow about what's been going on my computer is about dead. Have a great night everyone . Bird woman
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:31 am

So glad you posted! I was thinking of sending you an email to see what was happening. We'll wait for your update post with bated breath! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Well first things first , there are 12 here to date some of which will always be here. Pearly the umbrella that was on deaths door when she got here , full of infection and in need of toe amputation is so full of piss and vinegar now she rules the roost even garnering attention from my big bully girl Riki. Funny how these birds blossom when givin the chance. We're still fighting the feather plucking issue and I'm not doing so well with that battle. She has a whole wardrobe but I'm going to have to get the old sewing machine out and redesign her clothes as they don't keep her off the tail feathers or legs. She now has gained 100 grams and is very healthy and a great eater. Jazzie's operation was a huge success, his hormones are in check and has a wonderful home with a gal that works with second chance bird rescue that recently opened in bend oregon. She has continued his strict solar schedule and diet and he is thriving. Mr. Grey and kiwi both special needs baby's have also found a wonderful home together with a loving family. All my birds are and have been on a strict solar and lighting schedule but this year there hormones don't seem to be subsiding and everyone is going nuts. I've had to separate the boys and girls to different play areas because it seems having them together brings on the hormonal rage and aggression. Charlie the goffin that came with the 6 from n/w bird rescue has now decided it's time to ride around on my shoulder which I'm not in favor of any cockatoo that close to my face. This little guy spent 18 years in a garage with little or no human interaction and has taken all this time to trust but he has never bitten out at anyone and is now quite the lover boy. Daisy the long billed corella that came with the 6 had the hole in her chest and broken breast bone is all healed now and all feathers grown back. I will probably be looking for a home for her at some point as she is terribly jealous of the other birds but melts everyone's heart that meets her. I've been working on recall flight training with several of the birds and everyone is flighted and coming on command . I'm going to have to get a flight controller in this house as they all are zooming around now non stop. Nigel my PTSD LSC is doing well I can't even remember the last time he bit me but it is only because I really pay attention to his body language now and put him in time out when I see him getting to excited. Lilly bell my sweet mollucan is now a crazed freak carrying a phony egg around all day while she screams mama. I'm really trying to keep my hands off of her as even touching her head or trimming her nails will make her vibrate. :roll: I've turned away several birds recently and am just trying to help these people locate homes for them. There not in need of medical or I would have brought them in , just new experienced homes. I have several in the Portland and Eugene area I'm trying to find good homes for. I've cut all ties with the rescue I was working with , I just couldn't be a part of something that was different than my beliefs.Alyha my little 240 gram bomb is still my girl and hates everyone else . Buddy the bare eye is busy as usual playing and chasing his ball and now seems to think my bed is his to play with the hens in. :shock: thus the separate rooms now. Maxie the Quaker is such an acrobatic flyer now and uses it to antagonize the big birds but she is lightning fast.There has been others that have come through and I have found great homes for and were all in touch and that is the way I like it. Delilah my husbands grey has now after all these years decided to come out of her shell and play with the other birds and even love on me at times. Loomie is now in her terrible 5's and we're working on keeping her first hormonal events down to a minimum , she is showing her little butt off at being the absolute best at recall training. One thing I have found it difficult is teaching a bird to fly down from high places but there all getting it. I'm also happy to report Rio the macaw that I babysat for over the summer is also in recall training as her dad loved what I taught her while he was gone and has continued keeping her flighted and she is a much happier bird. Well that's about it for now , hope everyone's fids and life is well. BW :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:11 am

GREAT NEWS!!!! :danicing: :danicing: Everybody seems to be doing so very well! And, yes, it's amazing how a healthy bird that is now getting good care seems like a completely different one from the sick and neglected one that first came in, isn't it? It's a lot of work but so very rewarding! I am really impressed at your being able to find so many good homes! I've given up on rehoming regularly because of the lack of them - maybe it's the area where I live... I don't know.

Don't worry too much about the plucking, Patti. It's not really a problem for them, it's us who think that beauty is a necessity with birds - they don't care.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm

That's pretty obvious as pearly seems to have all the boys eating out of her hands. I'm pretty dumbfounded at how hormonal these birds are right now it's driving me crazy. I've just agreed to let a guy bring his male mollucan down and I'll probably be very sorry but he needs socialized and this guy is at his wits end. I'm pretty sure when he bought this bird out of the pet store because he felt sorry for him he had only been handled by women so with inexperience he's at a loss so I've offered to help. I'm sure my two hens will be fighting for his attention. ;)
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 am

It's the short days added to the too rich food and the baths that does it. I don't bathe Linus this time of the year -well, let me rephrase that: I don't bathe him as often as I normally do- and I do reduce the protein intake dramatically otherwise, I would have hormonal birds, too. I also use a higher Ktemp lights. The trick is to make a change in diet and 'weather', too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm

If I don't bath them or spray at least 3 times a week they will crawl in there water bowls or anyone else's that's avaliable. I've already leaned out the chop and increased seasonal foods. I'll try less bathing and bump up the humidity. How are you adjusting your lights ? Do you mean hours on? I have mine on from 11 to 4 everyday since they've been indoors but that's in the girls room and the big bird/playroom. Other areas they go play in only have full spectrum lighting in them. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic