Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little bird rescues

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Little bird rescues

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 am

I'll tell you a cute story that happened this morning. Zoey Senegal is the little terror of the birdworld in my house. She has no doubt in her mind that I belong to her and her alone and, even when she is not on me, she makes sure that I don't get too much love from any other birdy. She also automatically dislikes every single bird that comes in and makes sure they know it, but her biggest problem is with birds that are in cages. She would hang on to the bars and would pester them and pester them nonstop. I have been able to get her to accept a number of birds (very gradually and very slowly) so I can let them all out to fly and she is now fine with all of them but poor Pablo Naranjo (this is the name of a well known Spanish songwriter but his last name also means orange, as in the color, and I called him that because he is a peach front with a bright orange spot on his head) is severely handicapped and cannot be let out of his cage because he falls to the floor (he has a bad foot, half a wing, a broken lower beak and neurological damage) so he is always in it and she, knowing this, decided a long time ago that he will be her mark. So, every chance she gets, she flies into the mudroom where his cage is kept and bothers him. She knows she is not supposed to do this and all I have to do is say her name in an 'I am warning you!' tone of voice for her to fly off. But, sometimes, because I am in the dining room or the living room doing the other birds cages, she thinks she can get away with it and sneaks into the room. The thing is that Pablo ALWAYS screams in a very distinct way when she does it, and, as I can hear him from anywhere downstairs, I scream "ZOEY!" which is immediately followed by silence which tells me she moved away from it. But, this morning, she decided to disobey me and went back to his cage THREE times! The first two times, I said her name and she flew off but, the third time, I started walking toward the mud room (where Pablo, Codee and the canaries are) talking out loud in a mad tone of voice in Spanish and English without actually saying her name but she still knew becauses, as soon as I walked into the kitchen she comes out of the mudroom flying like a bat out of hell, crosses the kitchen, the dining and the living room and goes up the stairs to the second floor! It cracked me up! She was just like a little kid who, knowing that he had disobeyed and fearing a spanking, takes off running as soon as you start walking toward him :lol: They are soooo smart!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:52 pm

BOY !!! She sounds just like my lumy :cockatoo: if people would smarten up about these birds before they get one they would reconsider , these parrots are just like adopting a child that will never grow up. Sometimes I think there worse. :lol: lumy is so smart she will antagaonise the big birds till they have had enough then dive right behind me cause she knows I'll save her little butt. She is a lot more agile than the big ones so she takes full advantage of it. How long have you had Zoey ? BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:45 pm

From BW

img031.jpg
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:21 am

Awwww, is that the new guy, Birdwoman?

I'ven't had Zoey for long. I knew about her almost since her first owner got her years ago because he was a member of my birdsite. He got Zoey first but, almost immediately after, he got Sophie Ekkie and she kind of became his number one bird which must have made Zoey quite unhappy as Senegals are really not good at sharing their human (they are very much a one-person kind of bird). His wife got herself a little parrolet, Cricket, and he also got a lovebird which ended up dying from cancer a few years later. Zoey did not like any of the other birds and HATED his wife! She would attack her every chance she got so they gave her a severe clip in the mistaken belief that clipping would curtail her aggression -which, of course, it did not and, if anything, made things worse because she started plucking. The wife kept on complaining about her and, when Zoey bit Cricket's leg wounding him, she gave him an ultimatum: Zoey or her! She also posted on her FB page that Zoey was up for grabs which made her owner worried because he was afraid she was going to end up in a bad home so I flew from NJ to California to pick her up. This happened about 4 or 5 years ago, I think... I was worried that she was going to be a hard nut to crack to bond with me because of her history of not liking women but she took to me IMMEDIATELY and have never had a single problem with her (not one single nip). It took a couple of years to get her to accept my husband and the other birds but she has been doing very well. She doesn't talk a single word but she is smart as a whip and understand EVERYTHING I say to her - and she is also quite obedient for a parrot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Honestly I think these birds are more like people in the brain department , some are very smart and some are not. Did you see the nares on the macaw that wolf posted the picture of for me ? Look how large they are, and they were so swollen and crustie. They have improved 100% and I just picked up his meds so I can speed things along. Boy my girls sure are pissed at me , I had to work late both days this weekend and talk about attitudes :twisted: I just got the car ready and I'll take them goody shopping, this way tomorrow when I have a day off I won't have to deal with the tudes. Have a great day ! BW. P.S. I can't believe there's someone as bad as I am , flying half way around the country to pick up a bird. :thumbsup: I'm not feeling so crazy anymore :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:30 pm

OK, just got back from the toy store :o and that about sums up the look on my face!!!!! Lilly bomb bomb the mollucan , lumi the LSC , Delilah the grey and first trip with max the Quaker . I must say max was an Angel. Lumi was running like crazy, hi,hi,hi , I'm a pretty bird to anyone that would listen. She is such my little social butterfly. Delilah belching , barking and farting, you can tell it's my husbands bird. :lol: max just stuck close but really enjoyed the ride. Lillys big thing is positioning herself where the air-conditioner blows up her little butt feathers . :danicing: she gets real happy and spreads her tail feathers and shakes her butt. What ever floats her boat. :roll: I think the hardest part taking the kids on an outing is everyone wants to maul them and I don't like it. I even tinted the car windows so people can't see in , you come up to a stop sign and everyone snaps pictures with there phones ( I hate cell phones) . I guess a lot of it is from all the oooo's and ahhhhhs and omg I want one . I explain as best I can how hard it is to get these birds to this point of behavior and socialization and discourage them by showing them my arms . That did the trick today ! :lol: A few are true bird people and my girls can usually pick them out of a crowd (they are the ones I could talk to all day. Well everyone is in bed now with there several hundred dollars worth of bird toys( OUCH) :violin: So maybe we can get back to normal tomorrow. Lights out BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:05 am

I still have not lived down my trips to pick up Keeta and Rajah from Pajarita. They were not all that far, to my way of thinking, but I did have a time schedule because of Kookooloo who will start plucking if I am gone too long. I hate it when she does that. She really wants nothing to do with a harness although I keep working with her about it. I keep telling her that she could come with me more often if she would wear the harness as carrying a cage with her in it hurts too much. Luckily for me I stay pretty local most of the time.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:22 am

I was told by the ladies at the rescue that the other Cockatiels were picking on Gimpy is why she had to rehome him so fast. I have not seen a lot of problems that others tell me about. Before Gimpy's feathers grew back the others would visit him in his cage. There has been no problem carried into my flock.

Myrtle was in a small cage and tormented by a Grey in the next cage. She was a mess emotionally when I got her from the lack of care and the Grey who threatened to kill her.

[i][/I would move the one in the mudroom into a more active room where he has more to see and hear other than when you or another bird goes into his room. Just my thought.i]
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:22 pm

The other bird should be here in 30 mins and I'm already whipped today.( Bad day) I need to try some of my fids on a harness. Wolf which is the best to get? I probably shouldn't be taking mine all over the place without one. Only takes 1 screw up and then you have to live with it for the rest of your life. Gotta make quarantine area up. Thought I had big enough place but running out of room fast at this rate.. Guess it's time to start building again. Hey does anyone know about the stainless steel cages that come out of Taiwan or China ? There half the price of others ,makes me Leary . They say it's food grade stainless. But some other stuff about 1 to 5 yrs and I don't understand. I just thought someone might have the low down on the cages but I can figure it out when I have time. There all over e-bay cheep and new. Bird woman
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby liz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:46 am

Without a harness your bird could get spooked and fly off. Their are also bird thieves that will grab a bird and run.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic