Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little bird rescues

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Little bird rescues

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:44 am

Looks like the macaw is coming.here goes the neighborhood ! This is a 40ish year old and after talking to his people I'm going to have to work pretty hard to change his ways. Or at that age should I let him have his way???? The woman who's bringing him down says his cage is in a room with no windows , doesn't know what bath time is ,he's on a large hook bill seed mix and probably eats way to much garbage food and won't eat veggies. He has clipped wings and rides around on her shoulder for fun. She has supplied him with toys. She loves him enough to tell me he's not happy and she can't give him the care he deserves. I've never taken a bird that old , all mine were 20 or a lot less when they came and pretty receptive to all the change. First off how did she get him up to that age if he was getting mostly seed diet if it's so bad and am I going to hurt the old fart if l try to straighten out his diet. Any thoughts , she said she tried to switch to pellets but it gave him diarea ,so the vet said to switch back. I asked if she tried fresh foods , and she said he eats off there plate , hope they eat healthy. Well I can see many days of poop monitoring and scale weighing and a lot of waisted veggies being hurled at me until I figure him out. OH Happy days :danicing: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:17 am

I am not absolutely sure about this, so just consider it to be hear say, but it is my understanding that macaws eat a lot more nuts than most other parrots, sort of like budgies eat more seeds. This would result in a higher tolerance for the amount of fats in the seed diet as nuts are also higher in fats. Perhaps he is picking up enough other nutrients from what he takes off of their plate, however if he does not eat vegetables then what is he taking from their plates, meats?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:39 am

There you are wolf. Good morning. The woman suposably uses the same vet that I do so I'm going to call him this morning and get some info on the bird. To my knowledge the hyacinth macaws are the ones that need a higher fat diet of the macaw family. She is not very forth coming with pictures as I sent her plenty of my flock and set-up. Makes me wonder. I would still like to give the bird a happier retirement life no mater what. I'm just a little apprehensive about him being stuck in his ways or putting him in a tail spin. That little Quaker is giving me real grief trying to get him off those dam seeds I'm going to have to get real creative with him. What a delight this little guy is. I had no idea the littlest of the parrots could be so much fun! I don't like to have more than one in quarantine at a time , but I have the 2 little ones that came together just about ready to do there vet check. I've got another call on a bare eyed yesterday , God when it rains it pours. :lol: guess if this keeps up I'll have to expand. Good thing I built another room in antisapation of this ,I've just got to rip out the big bank of Windows I put in and put in a huge glass slider and attach another avairy. So many parrots in need. I have good people that come to help and the birds love them. I read the story last night about the couple with that young ,I think it was a Quaker named buddy that died ,with the enlarged liver and blindness. I cried my eyes out and wanted to give him max who looks just like buddy the one he lost. Is this allowed ??? To make contact with these people as long as there is no money involved ? Any birds that I've rehomed I've never charged money for , I just make it mandatory that they come back if they can't keep them or if I don't think there properly careing for them. So far this has worked out perfect for all involved especially the birds. I have some pretty spoiled fids running around out there, and I don't ever loose track of them. :D well I'll call the vet and see what he says talk later BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 am

He is, most likely, a wild-caught, Birdwoman and that is the reason why he is still alive. They come from such strong and healthy bloodlines that they can stand a lot of abuse in terms of diet.

Personally, I wouldn't even doubt for one second, I would start changing his diet and lifestyle almost as soon as he comes to me. This is what I have done with all the birds I've taken in and they've all adjusted VERY well. As a matter of fact, I have found that birds that have been on a bad diet for a long time, are more willing to eat produce than the ones that have been in a so-so one - and macaws LOVE fruits PLUS you have other ones already eating them so it should be fairly easy to get him to change.

The only bird I've had that gave me trouble to switch to gloop was a quaker. She absolutely refused to eat it and would wait all day for her seed dinner during the entire month of quarantine - so much so that I did not release her and kept her caged, separately, for another week or so. But, I felt SOOOO bad for her cooped up all alone in that cage that I figured what the heck! and released her. Well, let me tell you that in 24 hours (and I am NOT exaggerating either!) she was eating her gloop like a champion. She just hated been in a cage!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:10 am

Good morning pajarita, your little Quaker when let out of cage ,were the other birds eating around him? In this house they all seem to want what each other has just like kids. Wild caught ,good point as I haven't called the vet yet and I probably wouldn't have thought to ask :roll: thank you. I've been so busy lately getting 2 new big birds coming at once is going to be a hand full. Well I don't know for sure about the bare eyed cockatoo yet ,she's going to call this morning. Gotta set up another quarantine room. The macaw was suppose to have had all blood work .gram stain and nose culture just done. That will be a first for me ,if true that will save me a lot of money. :danicing: I'll ask the vet if he still recommends quarantine if all this vet work was done real recently. I know this women really loves this bird and knows the bird is unhappy ( new husband with allergies) personally I'd kick his butt to the curb before my bird :lol: (sorry guys) it's pretty selfless act to put the birds well being before your own. But I just don't understand why with the Internet and many sites with people like you guys to help , people don't learn. It's not like you have to go to the library to get a book. After having a bird 35 years she should at least know the basics. He'll I'm still. Learning. Well got birds eating my I-pad and wanting to go outside. Talk later BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:24 am

Yes, the birds in the birdroom used to have (and still do) communal dishes so she ate right alongside everybirdy else. But I really think it was the cage that was doing it - quakers really don't do well at all in cages.

I agree with you 100% on the availability of information nowadays but I think that most people who have had parrots for a long time simply think they already know all there is to know and don't even think of doing research. And the ones that do get all confused and disgusted with all the contradictory information out there...

In this bird's case, I am super happy her husband has allergies and that she is sending him to you! Personally, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even mention the possibility of her keeping him instead of her new husband!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:07 pm

I know exactly what your talking about .lol I really have been trying to be more understanding about ignorance because you and wolf seem to be a lot more kind and patient than myself. I don't think you can ever stop learning as new things are found out every day. It's our job as adults to weed through it , do our home work as best we can and do right by our flock. The birds mom finally responded to my pics I sent her last night and was pretty amazed at mine . I sure hope mathew that's the birds name isn't a picker but still no pics from her. The bath thing has really got my panties in a wad , how can you not know when the tweetie birds outside are always playing in the water?????? I'm hoping she eats a lot of salads so the bird knows at least what some vegies are. I'll know more Thursday and keep you posted. Also called the doc. And have to get a release from her before they can give info :o dam mm! Later b.w.
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:33 am

Well, I think that I am probably much more kind and patient here on the forum than in person. I really have a low tolerance for mistreatment of animals whether through ignorance or intentional. At least in person, if it is due to ignorance, I can not only talk to the person(s), I can also show them and help them in person. If the mistreatment is intentional, then I run some serious risk for myself because I find it very difficult to hold my temper. And I am not fond of jail time or courts.

On the forum, the only thing that I have to try and help the animal are my words with the owner. I have to be kinder and gentler and apparently more understanding if I hope to be able to try to improve the birds situation. If I am too blunt or caustic with what I say then I lose the person and any chance that I might have had to help the bird. And it does not help that without being able to hear verbal tones or see facial expressions or body language that people tend to relate to our words in a much different manner than in person With the printed word alone they get offended much, much easier.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:09 am

I have actually 'improved' :D a lot on my address to people but it doesn't come easy, I can tell you that much! I have infinite patience with animals, children and old people but none whatsoever with adults or teenagers that don't listen. But I do believe that the biggest difference in husbandry and the way people take advice comes from the actual reason that each person has for getting a bird because, if you actually love your bird(s), you will put the bird's needs first and do everything in your power to give it a good life (even if that means rehoming it) so, when you read or somebody tells you that you are not doing your best, you listen and consider the other person's opinion BUT if the reason why you have a bird is to fill up a hole in your life, you put yourself first, look for the easy/fast way that works for you but never works out well for the bird. It's the 'ask not what your bird can do for you but what you can do for your bird' kind of thing...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:29 pm

[quote="Wolf"]Well, I think that I am probably much more kind and patient here on the forum than in person. I really have a low tolerance for mistreatment of animals whether through ignorance or intentional. At least in person, if it is due to ignorance, I can not only talk to the person(s), I can also show them and help them in person. If the mistreatment is intentional, then I run some serious risk for myself because I find it very difficult to hold my temper. And I am not fond of jail time or courts.

r.[/quote. Jail is nothing more than 3 hots and a cot and there doing the laundry :lol: B.W.
Last edited by Bird woman on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird woman
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic