Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little bird rescues

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Little bird rescues

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:51 am

You are absolutely, 100% right, Wolf! This is not the kind of thing that I would tell most people to do because they would end up mis-using it and messing up the bird even more. It's not that I think I can do things better than other people but, after many years of reading postings from people who label their birds 'aggressive', I have come to realize that most people cannot read birds properly and, if given such advice, they would use the intimidation method whenever the bird bites which, in 99.999% of the time, it's their own fault. I ONLY use it when a bird attacks me and ONLY if they actually get to bite me - never when they are only bluffing, showing off or when it's my own damn fault that I got bit. I also would not use it as a 'preventive' method (like when people 'think' the bird is going to bite them so they decide to scare him off to 'prevent' him from doing it), only if and after the action takes place and only if it's a real attack. It's a last resort thing and only to be used with truly aggressive birds that fly out to bite your face kind of thing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm glad that I've only had to deal with one bird that has shown that kind of aggression , well besides the Huey and Mathew horror show but I can deal with that. Hormones are starting to subside and when he's outside of his cage he isn't aggressive anymore. Nigel has a attitude today as I am late getting home so the whole frickin house is crazy. I absolutely can't believe how upside down this house gets when I'm a few hours late. If people could see what happens EVERYTIME I'm even an hour late with there routine , they surly would understand the importance of a secure routine for there own bird. It's more noticeable with 10 but still it throws everything off and takes hours to calm down. It's probably not as bad with birds that are in there cage part of the day but mine run and fly free from breakfast to dinner time :danicing: keeps me on a dead run all day. :violin: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:18 am

Oh, I agree 100% with you, BW! There is NOTHING more reassuring to an animal that a steady routine that never changes - and nothing more upsetting than this same routine disrupted!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:01 pm

6 hours late today but that's the end of it. Banquet for xmas party I cater every year for manufacturing plant in town now out of my hair. Kid should be doing it next year as the free year I gave my son of me working when I gave him the Resturant is only a few days away. :swaying: yea !!! freedom , the fids are extra mad so I made them there favorite breakfast and there all eating now. I put pellets in last night and some seed mix as I knew it was going to be a late one. I think Riki and Nigel are bonding , never seen this kind of behavior before a real love hate thing going on but wherever Nigel is Riki is or viceaversa . Riki will attack Nigel if she can but only if we are in eyeshot but when alone and they don't know I'm watching the cameras they play kisseyface :roll: they haven't caught on yet about the cameras always watching :lol: I'll tell you they act so much different when the humans aren't around it amazes me. The need to prove something if there bonded human is around ,seems to go away when they don't know your watching. I'm kinda the same way about that steady routine too . NOTHING LIKE AN OLD COMFORTABLE PAIR OF SHOES :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:03 am

Yeah, I am a MANIAC when it comes to routines and what I call 'procedures' (my OCD rearing its ugly head :lol:). Everything has to be in its place and everything has to be done EXACTLY in the same order or I get all bent out of shape but it's not because I feel that things cannot be done differently, it's that, if I do, it takes me longer and I am always and forever in a hurry.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:11 pm

Me tooooo! And you can believe I have learned how to do things the quickest and most efficient way over the years . MERRY xmas everyone !!!! :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Bird woman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Well I guess it was very nice that Nigel the terrible gave me some time off from the nasty bites. All healed up and now two more bites , not out of fear or hormones but because he has decided to play on top of the dresser and after removing him 3 times he decided instead of stepping off my arm the third time onto the bird stand I would get a nasty bite to let me know he was pissed :lol: boy can he throw an attitude when he doesn't get his way. Head twisting , nose banging , Mohawk fully erect and stomping around like an out of control child with OCD! I should have never been sucked in by his good boy show and let him back into that area to play. Oh well , back to the drawing board and this time I'll keep that area closed off. The bites have become a little less aggressive but that could be I was ready for it :roll: HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE !!!! :danicing: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:06 am

What I do with the birds (and the dogs but not the cats, they are on a category by themselves, cats are) is, whenever I have to make them do something they don't want to do (like leave a place they like, as in Nigel's case), I make it seem like it's something good. For example, in Nigel's case, I would approach him dancing and singing and saying all the good things he is used to, offer the stick for him to perch on -praise praise praise- give him a treat and spend a bit of time with him (not long, just a few minutes) doing something he likes (this is different for each bird, of course, but, with Freddy Too, for example, it's doing the Papapapa he loves so much). When it comes to parrots, I have found that honey is the way to go, never vinegar.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:14 pm

You know one thing that has become clear with Nigel is if I don't let him out with the rest of the flock in the morning and stay beside his cage for a while rubbing his beak and feet through the bars and talking gently to him , when I do let him out he's a lot more appreciative and humble pie . He has to be the busiest OCD bird I've ever dealt with. I have many things in several areas to keep him busy . He has no fear of new things and loves every toy I get for him. I shop at toys r us in the baby section and get some real cool stuff for the fids there. Some of the battery operated toys I've had for over 10 years and I keep swapping them out , putting them away then they think there new the next year. The nice thing about our 3 year olds not growing up is they never figure that toy thing out and don't know it's used. :lol: Aylaha is also starting to become a hand full , full flighted and not a bit of fear for anything. All 250 grams of her little butt , parades around this big house like she owns it and there's no containing her to a perch or play area and she's always on a mission. SO CUTE , but the hubby doesn't think so . She uses him just like his precious RICKY USED TO USES ME. SEE HOW HE LIKES BEING THE CHEW TOY UNLESS HES GOT SOMETHING SHE WANTS. :roll: love them all !!!! BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am

Ah, yes, once we figure out what, exactly, is any new bird's little quirk, it's mostly smooth sailing! Of course, the trick is to figure it out and that's no easy feat, either!

For the ones who don't know her, I am pretty sure this is Aliya and her butt :lol: (BW had sent me this pix and I kept it because I loved it!)

Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic