Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Name That Parrot Game 2

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Name That Parrot Game 2

Postby pchela » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Natacha wrote:
pchela wrote:3. While very similar to the Sun Conure, the Jenday is distinguished by it's green wings where the Sun Conure has yellow wings. The Jenday also has a bright orange/red stomach.

This is true in a adults; I believe as babies Sun Conures also have a considerable amount of green on them before it turns yellow.

10. The Ruppells is easy for any Poi lover. They look just like the Red Belly to me except for coloration. They are sexually dimorphic as only the female gets the blue rump and belly. I'd love to have one of these! There is a guy in California who breeds them. Maybe someday... :D

They remind me more of the Meyer's than Red-bellieds, without the greenish-blueish belly of course. I think the dark grey colour of the Rueppell is more similar to the Meyer's than RB.

Yes, the juvenile Sun Conures have green on their wings and backs so telling them apart from Jendays may be difficult. I have never seen them together but I imagine there are still differences.

The Ruppell to me looks just like my Red Belly in size and shape. The coloration is more similar to a Meyers but for some reason they still remind me more of the Red Bellies.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Kind of glad I wasn't around for this one, I barely would have gotten half of them ;)
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby rocky » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:36 pm

8. The Roseifrons is unique. It is identified by the red crown, face and belly and by the interesting scalloping on it's neck. It's slightly smaller than a Green Cheek Conure. They are really rare... the only reason I knew about them was because I hand raised two of them. They were really sweet birds. I think it's a subspecies of the Painted Conure.

Hi, I'm responding late to this discussion since I just joined this forum. You're right that this bird is a subspecies of the Painted Conure--in fact, one of 9 subspecies. Lovely bird I wouldn't mind shooting with my camera.

For anyone looking for an affordable guide to parrots which is invaluable in this sort of naming game, I would recommend Rosemary Low's Parrots in Aviculture: A Photo Reference Guide. My first look in that book did not ID the bird since the nominate bird of the species does not have those markings, so I had to turn to a more exhaustive reference that did have an illustration matching this bird. That book is, Parrots of the World by Forshaw and Cooper.
rocky
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Black-capped Conure
Blue & Gold Macaw
Blue-fronted Amazon
Blue-headed Pionus
Hawkhead
Timneh African Gray
Hahns Macaw
Hyacinth Macaw
Nanday Conure
Red-lored Amazon
Yellow-naped Amazon

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:56 am

ok i have hardly ever seen those birds before in my life but out of no research (and not looking at others answers) i know number 6 is defiantly a major Mitchell's cockatoo and number 3 looks like a sun conure??
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic