Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What makes parrots good pets?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

What makes parrots good pets?

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:31 pm

In your opinion, what makes parrots good pets? Why would you recommend them? What are your favorite aspects? How are they better than other pets?

This is not a pros/cons debate so please don't go into downsides (we can have another topic about that one). But please do share what you enjoy about them and what you think new owners can get out of them as well.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: What makes parrots good pets?

Postby Kathleen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:55 am

Most people who have dogs know that they shed and their hair gets everywhere. When my family had a dog as I was growing up, the hair would be throughout the entire house. You pet the dog and the hair ends up on your shirt, and then most people don't change their shirt after that, even if they wash their hands the hair is still all over their clothes, and then they lean over at the kitchen table and the hair ends up on their plate. Of course any dirt on your clothes might do the same thing, but dogs roll around in the yard.. they're dirty. I'm just saying..

Parrot mess is generally contained in parrot areas of your house and I think that's a good thing. Parrots are small and easy to transport and they won't rip the seats in your car or make your car dirty. Parots don't smell bad.

Also you don't have to walk your parrot. Taking your dog out in the rain or snow or simply freezing cold weather is awful and you'd wish the dog would just go already but it keeps on dragging you around til it finds its perfect spot to go.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby MandyG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 pm

The thing about parrots I really enjoy is the fact that you have to work at your relationship with them. It's not like a dog or any other domestic animal that will love you unconditionally no matter what (don't get me wrong, I LOVE my relationship with my dogs). You really have to work on building mutual trust and respect with a parrot, it's a really rewarding relationship.

I also really like how intelligent they are. Whether it's a tiny bird like a budgie or a huge hyacinth macaw they are just so smart. They can learn so many different behaviors and interact with you on a way that most other animals can't. They're intelligence is also something I dislike, they're quite crafty, they can easily outsmart their owners :? .

There's also just something great about having a parrot in your life. I can't put it in words, but I wouldn't live without one :thumbsup: .

:dancing2:
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Parrots are great pets because they are so sociable. Cats are very independent and they don't seem to like their owners or any people too much. Other kinds of pets like fish, you can't really interact with them... they just live in water. They can be trained but it's limited. I've never seen reptile pets doing any tricks and never heard of them being taught to do anything but I don't know much about them.

Parrots are incredibly entertaining and make great pets for anyone who would put in some time and patience. I love training tricks. They can also learn so many different words, whistles and songs on cue. You can make a whole routine with them.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Natacha » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:23 pm

Kathleen wrote:Parrots are great pets because they are so sociable. Cats are very independent and they don't seem to like their owners or any people too much.

I need someone and come tell my cat that :lol:
She is quite likable and does crave attention at night.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:34 pm

You're not worried about your cat helping itself to a poicephalus pot pie?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:51 pm

There's also just something great about having a parrot in your life. I can't put it in words, but I wouldn't live without one

I agree completely!

You're not worried about your cat helping itself to a poicephalus pot pie?

she said in an earlier post somewhere that she puts the cats in another room when her birds are out.
I bet the birds pick on the cat! I know mine pick on my dogs!

I love my birds and I wouldn't trade them for anything!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Michael wrote:You're not worried about your cat helping itself to a poicephalus pot pie?

MissLady9902 wrote:she said in an earlier post somewhere that she puts the cats in another room when her birds are out.
I bet the birds pick on the cat! I know mine pick on my dogs!

Exactly, the cat is not out and about at the same time as the birds.
Regardless, the Pois would probably make her run away. I would be more concerned about Piper who is more "bite size" and quite fearless and would probably try to have a face-off :roll:
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Return to General & Off Topic