Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hoarding, rescuing,collecting,arm candy or love

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Hoarding, rescuing,collecting,arm candy or love

Postby Perroquet » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:41 pm

seagoatdeb wrote:It is only the large scale hoarders that make the news. The small ones dont. At the World Parrot Sancturary in Coombs, everything was running fine for a forever home untill the woman who started it got older and sick. Without her there, it became a hoarding case. There is no number, even a small operation can be hoarding. Its basically when you cant take care of them properly and you cant see it becasuse of an obsessive nature that gets too much and defends it. the hoarder does not know they have a problem, but can pick up who will criticism them fast enough.

Some bad breeders are called hoarders, but that is different, they know what they are doing and try to breed as fast as possible to make money and dont care about the health of their animals, so they are different than people that have obsessive illness and much worse in my opionion. Greedy and dont care.

The problem with inadequate care is a problem no matter what you call it. Whenever someone gets more than they can handle, the parrots suffer.

This is true. I also believe.
Perroquet
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Conures and Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:52 pm

Wether a single bird or multiple birds, poor husbandry is plain and simple poor care. Negligence is just doing what is required for a Megar exhistance for a poor animal to survive and not thrive. Ignorance is a term I'll not let off the hook lightly because the world is connected to an information hi way and there is no excuse ! We all share information and I would venture to say for the most part of the people I've read about or listened to there Q and A seems that they are always interested in finding out ways to make there birds healthy and happier. There's only been a few posts that my jaw has hit the ground on but I'll keep things positive. Many post have made me cry like a baby for any of your losses as I too know that pain , and for me it will never go away. This is my opinion only. Even when one can supply all the best stuff it is important that all the birds or other animals and the family don't suffer from lack of attention or interaction as that too is a kettle that will eventually boil over. :shock: and I know that first hand when too many birds come at once that a fast simmer gets to boiling pretty quick. :shock: I've obtained a lot of good info. Here and it's nice to have a place to share our stories , losses , milestones and info or just plain vent if were frustrated. I'm pretty sure there ARE NOT many guilty of what we're discussing on this thread as I've learned that those that ARE guilty of bad husbandry don't like there inadequacy put in there face. :P :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:05 am

Well, the thing is that, in many cases, although there is not good care, it's not because of negligence, it's because of ignorance... but it's not a malicious ignorance, it's that they think they are doing the right thing. People who have had parrots for many years are usually the ones that are guilty of this... Not because they don't care to learn but because they learned wrong when they first got the bird (because everybody was wrong back then) and they just continued to do the same thing. And, as Birdwoman noted, they don't like anybody telling them they are doing anything wrong.

Breeders bad conditions are not from a mental illness but because the birds are just a business to them, stock and merchandise. Negligence is also not a mental illness... some people want birds the same way they want an object and often lose their enthusiasm for it in time so the bird ends up been neglected. And, sometimes, they end up with way too many birds because they don't care enough to stop them from breeding and all of them sadly neglected but that is also not real hoarding, it's uncaring plain and simple. True hoarders lack the ability to see the filth, decay or even disease in their animals... their homes and themselves look bad, they have dirty windows, broken panes and blinds, they themselves never look quite 'well put together', their gardens are overgrown, they not only not take care of the animals, they don't take care of ANYTHING. And they can't clean before you go and fool you because the cleaning is a monumental task that no one person can perform in a matter of hours or even days.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Oh you are so right. Case and point MATHEW. 35 years same owner , he was clearly not cared for , poor plumage , swollen nares breathing heavily through mouth , sezers ,caged in a cage I wouldn't put one of my small too's in ,never bathed and still tells everybody about what great care she gave him. This is probably the hardest situation I've had to deal with thus far. She is corporate administrator of a big company that I buy a lot of my chems and fertilizers from and every time I go to get stuff she will start telling everyone about me having her bird and how she loves me for giving him a retirement home and how healthy he is and what great care she gave him for 35 years!!! GOD IVE BITEN MY LIP , so many times its permently pierced .I send her pics and updates and the difference is night and day. I don't know what to think about people sometimes , usually I just get mad anymore the compassion part of me left the building years ago. :roll: probably why I stay walled up with my fids and don't let to many in. I'd let you pajarita come play in our little slice of heaven cause I know you get it. Wolf too. Most people think I'm pretty escentric , tough and no one to mess with and they'd be right but where my birdies are concerned I've got some pretty marshmellowey insides and the sky is the limit for them. I love them all so much , but Huie is still trying my patients :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby galeriagila » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, BW...
Doesn't being married to the Rickeybird all these ages qualify me for a visit? :lol:
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:17 pm

You are all so far south and east from me, The furthest SE I go traveling is usually to Tucson, and Sante Fe.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby galeriagila » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:19 pm

I live in Cleveland, Ohio area... but spent most of my life in the Southwest.
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:55 am

I don't know but I think I have gone beyond the 'eccentric' label quite a while ago. I used to live in Hillside, NJ and the Italian neighbors across the street named me 'la mama di cani' because I used to walk my 8 dogs on a leash twice a day every day. Here, I am 'the bird lady' and my house (I found out about this recently) is the 'pigeons house' because of my 'clients' perching on my roof waiting for their breakfast every day :lol:

And yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say you had to bite your lip so as not to come back with something that will offend...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Well I obviously have that bird woman title in the community , I seem to be a bird magnet. You Pajarta seem to know exactly how it is. I put up a post the weekend that I got aylah trying to get back in touch with the original owner that I had talked to 6 months ago , to try to find out what really happened to this little girl. Since then my vet had all the info on bird , he knew the bird so he contacted her for me. But in the meantime a woman from Ashland answered my post and misunderstood and thought I needed a avian vet and recommended my vet to me. It was cute , but she has had her mollucan for 15 years and just moved here from New York and wants me to agree to taking her bird when she dies. It's like OMG , I asked her what about her kids and she said they wouldn't take him. I don't know about anyone else but I lost my mom in 2012 and would have taken in any critter she had loved just to feel close to her and have something she loved love me. Apparently he's well behaved potty trained and in excellent health , so I sure can't understand what the problem would be.Those kids better be careful , this woman feels about her bird like I feel about mine and is willing to put it in her will with a sizable chunk of money for his care. SHE SOUNDS LIKE ME !!! :lol: My kids know what the score is when I'm gone, and it's all in writing. Anyway all this add said was looking for aylah's mom ( and there's another hard to swallow bird story) I think I need to start hiding , thank god she has several years left in her.I did find a home for Casper one of the Greys it only took me 14 years and what a home she has . The tashmahaul with all the amenities and Casper is the queen bee only bird . Michelle her new mom is now a very good friend and we visit often. We are having birdie day next week and doing nails , not ours the birds :lol: she worked in an avian vet practice as a assistant . Great company to keep :( and she's great. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Bird woman » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:03 pm

galeriagila wrote:Awwwwwwwwwwwww, BW...
Doesn't being married to the Rickeybird all these ages qualify me for a visit? :lol:

And yes you are well qualified , but honestly I'm a bit intimidated by that movie star you have I'm afraid the accommodations might be sub-par . :lol: :danicing: hugs and kisses BW
Bird woman
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic