Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

buying a senegal

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: buying a senegal

Postby Millsy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:08 pm

yeah mine too likes to bit me but still enjoys a scratch on the head and will always step up to get onto my finger , same thing this morning i got out of bed gave him fresh water and seed's held him for 5 mins then put back in his cage and left for work hearing his little chirps.

I "think" that the biting is only because they are so young and i hope will grow out of that. ( I think it could be something to do with the fact that mine was hand reared and used to being fed by a human, maybe he's just looking for food?) was yours hand reared?
How old is your senegal?
Are you going to Train him to do some simple tricks anytime soon or let him get used to you and gain your trust first. would be good to keep in contact as we both have brought a senegal at the same time, see how it goes.
What are you feeding the little fella on?
Also i work 9 hour days, however my mum is home most days with family always visiting so he is not being left alone i am slightly worried that he will become my mum's favourit human as she will be home most days when im working. do you thi9nk there will be a problem there. not that i want the bird to dislike my mum, but zebbadee is my companion. if you can see where i am going???
Hope all goes well!
Millsy!
Millsy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None, yet!
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:57 pm

I posted a pic :)

My sennie - Jazz - is 12 weeks old. I am still waiting the DNA results so I am not sure if its a boy or girl.

The looking for food was my first thoughts too. I have tried getting the food bowl and Jazz takes a few bits...

I am feeding him Jungle Munchies from my local Pets Corner but I am mixing in Nutriberries (which he seems to love by the way!) and sprouted beans. I am also giving him fresh veg, yesterday was just spinach but I need to go shopping for some more.

I am planning on training him, I started to click and treat yesterday, although it was more of teaching him to stay with a clicker and treats.. He wasnt wanting to stay on the perch, although after a few go's he was getting the idea!

One problem I am having is I hold him in my hand and he crawls up my arm onto my shoulder... I dont want that as I dont trust him to be up there, I want him to only be there when I allow it.

Another thing he is doing is when he is on his perch and he will fly onto my head... Something I definitely dont want... I am starting to hold up my hand as he takes off and he will land on my hand, but then proceed to crawl up to my shoulder...

I dont know about he situation with your mother, I am sure someone else would be best to answer.. But yes I do see why you have concerns there.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Millsy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:02 pm

jazz looks amazing. what you described
One problem I am having is I hold him in my hand and he crawls up my arm onto my shoulder... I dont want that as I dont trust him to be up there, I want him to only be there when I allow it.

Another thing he is doing is when he is on his perch and he will fly onto my head... Something I definitely dont want... I am starting to hold up my hand as he takes off and he will land on my hand, but then proceed to crawl up to my shoulder...

Exactly the same here. I looked on Youtube for "how to clip parrots wings" and i just cut a few of his flight feathers just enough so he glides down without to much of an impact. After a couple of time trying to fly but not getting no where he has not yet tried to fly since but i made a table perch that where ever i am in the house i take him with me on that, he loves to gnaw on it.

I also have brought a clicker from my local Pets at home and going to start clicker conditioning tomorrow after work.

where did you get the DNA testing done and is it expensive? maybe you could give the details of the place to me. do let me know when you get the results :)
Millsy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None, yet!
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:49 am

I am not planning to clip, just need to teach that my head is not a landing spot!

My breeder sent off for the dna test, you have to pull some feathers so it was easier for him to do it:)
I am not sure which company he used, when I get the certificate, I will let you know. Unless there are any England based people here that know of any? Google returns lots of companies, but whether they are reliable, I don't know.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Flight: Yes

Postby HyperD » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:09 am

I officially have have a female :) the test was done by avianbiotech.co.uk
HyperD
Poicephalus