Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

buying a senegal

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

buying a senegal

Postby Millsy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi guys.
Been looking around this forum recently as i have second refusal on a 12 week old Senegal and all the information on here is great! Also if Michael you read this I'm a fan of Kili's :)
Anyhow if the people who have first "dibbs" on this Senegal do decide to purchase this parrot then i am going down to the other local breeder and buying one.
Will be spending roughly £350 (Great British pounds) on a Senegal does this sound about right.

Also what inspired you to name your birds, been thinking and don't really know what to name such a feathery friend.

Regards
Millsy!
Millsy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None, yet!
Flight: No

Re: buying a senegal

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:29 pm

First off welcome to the forum.

I don't want to dissappoint you too much but I think you should read a few articles here that are very specific to Senegal Parrot so that you know what you are getting yourself into. One is about Senegal Parrots by Senegal Parrot owners. Another one is a discussion about managing Senegal Parrot aggression. I know Kili's videos are really impressive but I want people to be fully aware that these are really big birds in a tiny body and they can come with some big aggression if not managed properly. So take a look at those and see if it's right for you. They are such sweet babies that they can be really deceiving when they mature into gremlins (borrowing that expression from Mona ;) so I just want to warn you. Good luck and enjoy.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Millsy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up, However i have done a fair bit of research but will still read those articles.
Thanks for the fast reply.

Also another question - any tips on sexing a sennie

Millsy
Millsy
Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:50 pm

DNA
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby HyperD » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:31 am

I am due to get my sennie on sunday, it was delayed by a week as the baby wasnt completely weaned...

I paid £295 for it.

Although that was just for the bird, I spent more on cage/toys/food/accessories....
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Millsy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:53 am

Ok, so i am the new proud owner of a sennie the people who had first refusal did not turn up so i get the call to say that it was mine
He has cost me £350 for the parrot and a half decent cage. have ordered a new cage on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Premium-Quality-S ... 5d28a7689f
just need to figure out a name for the little fella now :)
would just like to say that all the information has been great here and i look forward to being a proud owner of this spectacular bird! :thumbsup:
Millsy
Parrotlet

Postby pchela » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:12 pm

I name my birds after my favorite characters from books or tv or film. I have Pippin and Linus (from Lost) and my new baby will either be Simon or Rupert. There are also lots of names that relate to birds such as Atticus (Finch) from To Kill a Mockingbird or Icarus or Phoenix etc. I also like Mythology names. Good luck!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:50 pm

My husband has named all his birds after alcoholic beverages. Fortunately, there is a cocktail called a "Scooter" 'cause the name has stuck, but he will probably eventually get a formal name like "Captain Morgan" or "Grasshopper".
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Millsy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:58 pm

HyperD did you get your senegal today. posted a picture of mine in the general discussion in the "Pictures of your flock" thread. would be nice to see yours.
Millsy
Parrotlet

Postby HyperD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:32 am

Yes I did but he was a bit too clingy and wouldnt get off my hand and go on a perch... He didnt think much of the cage, its not that he didnt like it, he just didnt want to be in it :)

I put him in there at bed time, turned off all the lights and he went straight to sleep so no issues there.. I took him out in the morning and played a bit, again he wasnt too keen to be away from me. It wasnt nice having to go to work and hearing his chirps as I was leaving, although he did start investigating the toys and exploring the cage a bit more.

He also seems to like to bite, I have never understood why they insist on biting what they are perching on!

I will upload some pics when I get home, it wasnt easy to take a picture with a parrot in one hand, a camera in the other and the parrot trying to get the camera!
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Next

Return to General & Off Topic