Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Florida wild life

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Florida wild life

Postby liz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:27 am

We have a writing spider on our back deck. He keeps trying to connect with the door. We have to keep moving parts of his web so we can use the door. Rachel has been flipping bugs into his web. He now knows her and will come to the closest part of the web to her. Even spiders have personalities.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:20 am

I LOVE spiders! They are super clean animals [in Medieval times, they used to keep them so they could use their webs as sterile bandages!] that consume tons and tons of all kinds of disease-carrying insects.

I found an article for you: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/h ... ve-species
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:54 am

That was a good article.

I believe that exotic pets as well as dogs and cats need to be fixed before sold. It is a shame but it would also make the pet more loving since it does not have to go through hormonal times.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:29 am

I don't think that vets castrate every single weird animal that people nowadays want to keep... I mean, nobody neuters lizards or snakes, for example.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:11 am

They are releasing sterile make pythons into florida hoping that they will mate with the females and they will lay infertile eggs. More likely is that there will just be more snakes. The released sterile males have to eat, too, and they will continue to devastate local wildlife.

They should please snakes that will make everyone albino. If we could see the snakes, we could catch the snakes!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:21 am

I like the idea of sterile males more than the other. I hope they catch enough to make it do what they want. If it goes right then there will be no new babies. Eventually all we will have is sterile males and females. Then they could do a roundup of females. Leaving the sterile males would do good for any other released snake.

It is better than to introduce a different species. That has always gone wrong.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:46 am

Well, that might not work at all because snakes can reproduce through parthenogenesis [the 'mother' cloning herself in order to give birth without a male]. What they should do is make it impossible for any irresponsible Tom, Dick or Harry to keep any type of animal they get enthused with for the five minutes and half that their attention span lasts. It's not the animals which are at fault, it's the idiot humans and the government that refuses to regulate the pet industry!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:56 am

A writing spider took up residence on my back deck. Rachel made friends with it and threw some fresh kill dead bugs in there for her. The spider started going to her side of the web to see if she had a bug. Even when she didn't the spider would stay there while she spoke to it.

Even spiders have personalities.

Rachel enjoyed the spider and would move the web a little to make room for me to get out my back door.

She seemed to be a happy little spider until the day Aunt B's cat found her. She is gone.

Rachel stopped traffic on a busy street to get a turtle off the road and on his way.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:07 am

Spiders don't like dead animals so giving them a dead bug might not work...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:27 am

It was always a fresh killed bug.

We don't need to worry about the spider anymore since Aunt B's cat ate it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic